Looking for a Name (or two)
  • Hey everybody - looking for some help again. Our parish school this year is going to have two choirs and I am looking for names for each. One choir will consist of junior high students, and the other of 4th & 5th grade students. The main duty of each choir is to lead/assist/provide (whatever verb you want to insert) music at the all-school Mass each week. Repertoire, hopefully, will consist of the propers, chant, appropriate hymnody, etc. Any ideas?
  • CharlesW
    St. Cecilia Schola? St. Gregory the Great?
  • I am partial to St. Cecilia (my confirmation name) - maybe I should have also said that the Parish name is St. Michael.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If two choirs are split by gender, the girls should be St. Cecilia and boys St. Gregory.
    Since yours are split by age, I would go with St. Ambrose (for the older class) and St. Augustine (for the younger).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Or you could go with psalm material, like
    Jubilate Deo, or Laudate, or somesuch.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    St. Blaise. (Patron of sore throats.)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    The choir-loft where I am organist (a Polish parish) has two stained glass windows, one of St. Cecilia, the other of St Kazimierz. When I inquired as to the latter, it is because some sources list him as the author of the Hymn Omni die dic Mariae. St. Kazimierz a patron of purity and chastity.

I always thought it would be fun to have a choir name after neums, Ensemble Tristropha has an interesting ring to it.
  • gregpgregp
    Quilisma California!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    By definition, the older group could simply be the "Schola Cantorum", and the younger the "Chrous Angelorum".
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst