Dealing with wrong interpretations of liturgical documents: Laity edition
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Considering all the fingerpointing and accusations of "liturgy police" here on the board, the question arises: If a layman, neither expert nor musician, really does see something at Mass he thinks is a grave abuse, what should he do?

(Put aside the completely separate question of whether he is right or not. Even more, put aside the question of whether he is well or not.)
  • chonakchonak
    First, inform yourself. Consult knowledgeable people, even if means writing a liturgy expert on the net: there are people like Fr Z, for example.

If that does not resolve the matter, document the event and write a letter to a person in authority. State the facts calmly, express puzzlement, and ask if the event was proper procedure. Ask the pastor first, then if needed repeat it for the bishop, and then the Holy See (CDWDS).

In the letter do not cite any rules against the practice. To do so gives the appearance that one is lacking in respect for the official's knowledge.

PS: In writing to the bishop, it may be best to contact the diocesan office for worship. I once had a case sidetracked because I didn't know to do this: my letter ended up being routed to some other official and wasn't effective.
  • CharlesW
    I think the first consideration is what mass are you describing. If you attend only the EF mass, then you have to realize it is more tightly controlled, subject to more specific rubrics, and has fewer options. Trying to impose all that on an OF mass is ridiculous. The OF has its own missal, its own rubrics, and allows more options. Following the OF missal and regulations is not an abuse because it is different from the EF. There are many fine musicians on this forum who are working diligently to improve music in the OF. They need to be supported, not criticized for not following the EF missal and rubrics. They are not required to follow the requirements for the EF. It seems many of our issues come from EF people who can't or won't accept that. You are not in any way superior to the rest of us because you only attend the EF mass.
    Thanked by 2formeruser CHGiffen
  • DougS
    Why are we so sure it's a man?
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Charles, for a person to believe they are a superior Catholic because they only go to an E F Mass is a sin. I sure hope no one on this board who only goes to an Tridentine Mass believes they are superior.

E F it is rather difficult to enforce wrong interpretations of liturgical documents because:

1 some of the language in these documents is somewhat vague and

2 liturgical law has not been codified, which document takes precedent?

• CharlesW
    I agree, Ruth. It's difficult to tell, and there is no support from the top to clarify any of this. Add to that, the missal has been changed how many times? In my own lifetime, there have been the 1962, 1965, 1970, and 2011 missals. Actually, there have been more since I still have my 1959 missal. Personally, I would have been content to stay with the 1965 missal, since I liked that one. I thought it the best compromise between old and new. However, I wasn't in charge. Still am not, btw.
  • DougS
    And those were only the English translations. I believe the Paul VI missal in on its third edition already: 1970, 1975, and 2002.
  • CharlesW
    I think many forget that missal tinkering and revising is an ongoing activity. For example, the Holy Week changes by Pius XII that came before the Council. It never really stops. However, I have to honor and follow the missal currently in effect for the United States. The EF is an exception, in that it is tied to a specific edition of the missal. My understanding, and correct me if wrong, is that the 1962 is the only one they can use.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Who said anything about myself or any real situation I find myself in? As others have said in this thread, attending the '62 Mass means I don't have to worry about abuses or not, being more "tightly controlled." This is, as always, a hypothetical from principles.

No: Clearly, if a man --- generic "man", Doug, embracing the female and neuter --- sees what he believes to be abuse, he should confront it somehow. Pilloring him for doing this seems backward.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe this belongs in another topic, but here goes:

Are we not taking this "liturgy policing" thing a bit too far? Isn't the black and red enough – or do we have to beat ourselves up until we are black and blue – worrying almost like (canon) lawyers about and "dealing with wrong interpretations" of liturgical documents – now on behalf of the laity? It's bad enough that people here are getting all bent out of shape over whether people in the assembly should sing and if not singing is somehow wrong, when it is between those that don't (or do) and their Creator.

Does this really have a whole lot to do with sacred music? Is it taking over the real purpose of MusicaSacra?

Chuck
  • The proper music to sing being fit subject for liturgical documents, it seems to me proper that a discussion of what does one do in x situation is entirely appropriate. Once upon a time there was a list of music which could not be sung at Mass.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    You know I have read many of these comments on multiple threads and I don't really believe E F, Charles, me CH or anyone else is really "policing" no matter which Mass we have an attachment to. We are just expressing what we understand about the liturgy.

E F Are you asking if say someone goes to a Mass and sees people dancing around the altar naked what recourse does this person have? Or, are you just talking about liturgical abuse when it comes to music, i.e. electric guitars being used at Mass?

Liturgical abuse can happen at any Mass, EF or OF. Just sayin'...
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • CharlesW
    Oh please, not the dancing nuns again. And this time naked? I still have nightmares from the 60s. ;-) Believe me, they looked much better in floor-length habits.

Of course liturgical abuse can happen anywhere. However, it is important to know what constitutes a real abuse, as opposed to a difference in the rites.

Yes, if you see a genuine abuse, you certainly can report it. Unfortunately, where you happen to be located can determine whether or not the complaint is taken seriously.

• Ruth Lapeyre
    Exactly Charles! The naked dancers just came off the top of my head, I didn't have nuns in mind! : ) I think the police would have something to say about naked liturgical dancers... depends on how outrageous the action and who the Ordinary happens to be.
  • DougS
    LOL, Charles and Ruth. Coming back to the original question, though, the first thing I would do is confront the priest about it using the tactful approach that Chonak describes above. Priests get e-mails about all kinds of liturgical things (usually the homily, but others as well), and I know the priest for whom my wife is the Director of Music typically responds to these sorts of messages during the week.

Going straight to the bishop, especially if you have visited a parish only once and noticed something you consider an abuse, reminds me of a student who complained to the chair of the department about his grade before confronting me about it personally. I assume he was hoping the chair would swoop in and give me a stern lecture, but in the end all she did was forward the student's message to me and say, "Handle it." If I had been a jerk about it in the exchange with the student that followed, then taking the issue back to the chair might have been a good idea at that point.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Going straight to the bishop, especially if you have visited a parish only once and noticed something you consider an abuse, reminds me of a student who complained to the chair of the department about his grade before confronting me about it personally.

I think the exception would be with things affecting the validity of the sacraments. I once wrote to the Bishop of Albany about such a case involving a baptism I saw while visiting a parish in that diocese. They took the complaint seriously, investigated and responded to my letter.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • WendiWendi
    I would say it depends on the gravity of the abuse. If it's musical the first step would be making sure it's an actual abuse and not just your preference. Next I'd speak to the music director. If the music director dismisses the concern, I'd go to the pastor. While going further up the chain of command is an option, it's not really a viable one for anything other than an abuse so grave it affects the validity of the Mass.

IMO. YMMV.
  • chonakchonak
    Fr. Z has a page of advice on how to write to bishops about problems here.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    well...I guess the example is a bit extreme. Forget the dancers. : ) Doug you are correct, it is best to go to the priest and politely ask what the heck is going if you are really concerned and especially if it is your parish. If he is a new pastor he may be as concerned as you are, if he is not or encourages such abuse, go up the chain of command but always convey your concerns politely. The wrath of God approach usually shuts doors in your face, literally and figuratively. Other than that try to find another Parish, but again that may be impossible or require too great a sacrifice in distance. Try to keep your faith as best as you can and pray.

I have spoken about Saginaw Michigan recently on the forum. This diocese is an example of what I have been told was lots of liturgical abuse for many years with just a brief respite when Bishop Carlson was there. I know of some parents who actually brought their children down to the Detroit Diocese for Confirmation when Utner was the Bishop. For whatever reason Cardinal Maida turned a blind eye, and yes he knew it was going on.

I don't want to upset anyone who might think Utner was a good bishop, the truth is he drove many people out of his diocese. I do not know everything he was accused of or what Catholics in his diocese were most upset about, but I know for a fact that statues and artwork were sometimes removed from parishes in Saginaw to protect them from the ravages of liturgists.