James Whitbourn: Son of God Mass (for SATB choir, organ, and soprano saxophone)
  • Blaise
    A local university choir (the following is not it) sung this piece for my parish Palm Sunday concert (the concert was sung by the choir, but funded by the parish music series). While it may not be suitable for Mass due to length, it is something worth considering if you have a sacred music concert sometime.

Son of God Mass: Kyrie
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I prefer my soprano sax in duet with whales. No offense meant.

[I really do]
  • How could someone with the moniker "Frogman" not like Paul Winter and Missa Gaia? ;-)
    Don't forget the collaboration of the Hilliard Ensemble with the great Jan Garbarek, chant and soprano sax, very compelling.
    You'd be surprised, FNJ, how (in the hands and mind of a genius performer) how the soprano sax can emulate or even sonically improve upon obligatos assigned to oboes.
  • DougS
    Pope St. Whirligig the Great once said that reed instruments are the work of the devil.
  • CharlesW
    Son of God was my first reaction, too.
  • Casals had to use one in Puerto Rico with his summer orchestra for the Bach Brandenburg....recording! Love that instrument.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    So ... if reed instruments are the work of the devil, should we rip out the reeds of our pipe organs?

Just asking.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • DougS
    I'll have to consult the documents!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    ROFL.
  • CharlesW
    Nor shall ye take up the serpent lest ye surely die. ;-)
    Thanked by 3DougS Gavin CHGiffen
  • JahazaJahaza
    I actually own a recording of this Mass with saxaphones.
  • I thought the serpent had "brass" scales.
  • CharlesW
    It's definitely brassy, that's for sure.