• henrik.hank
    Ave Maria!

2 questions:
    When you sing/play old music, i.e. Gregorian music, classical and other music, how do you know what we mean by C today is what they in those days meant by C?

We say that C1 AND C3 are both the note C. I can accept that but what do they have in common that makes them so simmilar?
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • DougS
    There are many complex answers to these questions.

The simplest thing you might do is switch from thinking about note names to thinking about the spaces between two pitches.

For example, the space from C to D is virtually the same regardless of the performing context or the octave. The letters are there simply to give us a visual representation of the endpoints of the space.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    In Gregorian chant the "C" clef and "F" clef don't necessarily mean C and F as we know them on the modern keyboard. Rather, they help identify the relationship of whole and half steps and are derived from the modes. They really refer to "Do" and "Fa".

With the development of the tonal system and the standard 5-line staff, pitches became "fixed", so that while "Do" is moveable, "C" is not in clef notation.

As for "C" being "C", the other question is whether you mean relative to its position on the staff or its relationship to "A=440hz". Now you're getting into the realm of tuning systems and the establishment of a standard controlling pitch for tuning so that multiple instruments can be played together, all of which have a physical (structural) tolerance that allows them to be tuned to that pitch within a particular tuning system. A group of like instruments must be capable of being tuned to the same reference pitch so that they can play as an ensemble and still sound alike. That's why you can't, for example, use a combination of modern and museum instruments all tuned to "A=440". The museum instruments would pull themselves to pieces or be unable to produce the proper pitches with their proper quality of sound. With respect to octaves, C1 and C3 are both C relative to each other, just in different octaves, and that is rooted in acoustical physics and the system of the overtone series.

As I said before, in the case of Gregorian chant, the "C" and "F" clefs do not relate to a pitch location on a keyboard, nor an octave, since chant was not intended to be sung by mixed voices, but rather by like voices where octave placement is not an issue, but comfortable pitch range is. That's the beauty of chant. You can pick your reference pitches so that the extremes (which are usually quite confined) are within a comfortable singing range for the schola. It's not until the employment of multiple staves that octaves become an issue.
  • DougS
    In other words, what really matters is the space between the notes, not what we call them. Sorry, had to.
  • incantuincantu
    Notes an octave apart have a 2:1 ratio of frequencies, which makes them sound especially pleasing when sounded together, and which can create sympathetic vibrations in a string of half the length of a vibrating string. This all adds to the perception of sameness.

In our system of diatonic scales, the octave is the place where the pattern of whole and half steps begins to repeat, making C1 and C3 the same "scale degree" in any given scale. You can also say that C1 and C3 are the same "pitch class" (the set of all C's).
  • PMulholland
    To answer the question as to what the notes with the common name have in common: The octave is a doubling of cycles per second (hz) eg. if A=440hz then 880hz is an octave above. 220hz is an octave below. Simple math. The note name then refers us to the rate of the sound wave as it relates to other notes.

• chonakchonak
    I asked Dr Mahrt at the Colloquium whether there was any possibility that the use of letter names for the Gregorian scale implied any standard of absolute pitch, and he denied it.

Each of the modes, he pointed out, has its own characteristic range. If there had been a fixed pitch for C, then the necessary vocal range to perform all the chants would have been impracticably broad. Most choirs would find themselves unable to perform a substantial part of the repertoire of necessary chants for the Office and Mass.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Thank goodness the pitch isn't set to our standards of modern tuning because some of those chants would be pretty high!
    Thanked by 2DougS kevinf
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It was only with the advent of fixed pitch musical instruments that the letter names (or Italianate solfege names) for notes began to assume (more or less) fixed pitches. And, long after fixed pitch instruments were common, it was equally likely that an a cappella work would be sung at a pitch different from what the notation would have suggested to an instrumentalist. Singers of yore were well-enough trained that they rarely, if ever, relied on an instrument such as an organ to play along on their parts until the parts were learned.

In modern terms, we might think of this as singing such a piece at a transposed pitch, but without actually writing out the transposition – just as one might sing Gregorian or other plainchant at a variety of pitches.

For what it's worth, many instrumentalists were (and still are) quite adept at "sight transposition" of music; for example, it is not at all uncommon amongst organists to be able to transpose at sight. And for the sight tranposition-challenged, some modern instruments have "transposing enhancements" (such as transposing knobs or keyboard slides on organs or harpsichords, or capos on guitars, mandolins and banjos, or mechanisms that shift the slides on keyed brass instruments) which allow for transposition to a limited number of nearby pitches.

But, back to chant singing and notation. The "doh" clef is a stylized "C" and the "fah" clef is a stylized "F" (just as the treble clef is a stylized "G" and the bass clef is a stylized "F"). Depending upon what country you were in, "doh" was either "doh" (or "ut") or "C", and "fah" was either "fah" or "F" – and these were all moveable. Depending upon where one was in the world, one used letter name and/or solfege names for the notes of a scale. And Professor Mahrt is completely right: For Gregorian chant (or other plainchant), there is no implied pitch in the letter names for the scale. I would only add that this is also true for early a cappella polyphony as well (and, by extension to any a cappella music, at least in performance practice).
  • it is not at all uncommon amongst organists to be able to transpose at sight.

Tying to slip one by us to see if we are paying attention, eh? CharlesW is still out of school, I nominate him to pontificate on this one.

The spoiler was the proper use of amongst...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I am surprised he didn't use the Middle English "amonges." LOL. Transposing more than a whole step is beyond my abilities. Sometimes transposing a composer's work from one voice range into another seems to destroy the composer's intent. I once worked for a local newspaper with a columnist who decided he had been wrongly born and living as a male for 35+ years or so. He became another gender, and the result looked something like Herman Munster in a dress. Some of those radical transpositions can be quite alarming.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Lol, thanks CharlesW!! I've sung Byrd and other motets in all sorts of transpositions (high clefs/low clefs) from the singe source scores and never had a problem. I can transpose fairly well (I used to be better) on a few wind instruments, but not keyboard.

Chuck
  • CharlesW
    My friend, the horn player, routinely transposes and thinks nothing of it. When I studied organ years ago, it wasn't emphasized.

Noel: I retired from teaching at the end of May.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Rule 1: Do what works.
    In a Vespers rehearsal at Colloquium 2011, Dr. Mahrt said that he generally pitched the reciting tone of chant at A, regardless of mode, unless there was a reason not to. This in turn set the pitch of the falsobordones we were singing, bringing the Gs and As in the tenor down to something more manageable.

Bruce Haynes' _History of Performance Pitch: the Story of A_ will tell you more than you probably want to know about its subject. Short form: pitch standardization is instrumentalist-driven; makers have to have standards so their instruments will work together. The earlier you go, the more local those preferences get. What we call "baroque pitch" (A415, itself an abstraction from an area of various pitches) was driven by French woodwind makers. Buxtehude (for example) wasn't part of that pitch culture, but of a pitch culture a step or more higher, which is why the vocal parts lie low, and aren't effective at A415.

Also, you probably aren't working with exclusively male forces, including boys, castrati, and falsettists. You may have to tinker with the pitch of polyphony to get the best performance out of a mixed choir. But you have plenty of historical authority to do that, if it matters to you.
  • DougS
    I would hope he's not working with castrati!
  • Jeffrey "B. Nimble B." Quick obviously was referring figuratively to "married males." ;-p
    Thanked by 2DougS Gavin
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Well, I'd hope not either. My point was that musicological authenticity is a secondary value in liturgical music.
  • Which causes me to wonder, JQ, how think ye, then where stands ye on the gender issue as a principle value in liturgical music? (Donning fireproof Depends now, just a second, please.) If one thinks about it, since we've been so scrupulous and licit lately, it really isn't about an office issue dependent upon EF v. OF deployment as Capella Sixtina remains sans la femme, porque? They sing mostly OF. They could use some really good sopranos and altos from the distaff. Why is no one outraged? Molly Yard, at least? Of course, this is an academic question as authenticity is rarely an issue with the SCC. Imagine the Bruttas' first meeting with half a choir of Emma Kirkby's (and especially were Bartolucci still maestro!) Palestrina would sound like Ligeti.
    I'd pay to hear that.
  • I have often wondered about how Southern European choirs handle the chants if they, as reported, use a fixed pitch. I have a wide range, and without warming up can pretty much do what's listed for Bass on SATB requirements. (C2 to E4.) Yet many of the chants for this Sunday were undoable if I stayed with C = Doh.

In scores where "doh" is one the second line, they work out my voice in my "sweet range," so I have all those printed out. (About 35 from all of the L. Usualis, I think.) But I could just as easily do it with any.

However, I read a review of one of those many books on how we learn, and apparently, while pitch is natural, how we perceive is, as so much else, determined before puberty. I did not grow up in a musical household and learned music through the keyboard. Thus, my sense of pitch will ALWAYS be tied to the keyboard. One thing I am grateful for is that the system my teacher's used (Robert Pace method) emphasized transposition from the start, so I find people who talk about the "sound" of one key or the other hard to understand. I think the original questioner will experience the answer he is looking for just by doing doh-re-me up the keyboard.

(I am glad to see some of you used Homer Simpson's spelling of "doh." I am an English teacher, and a firm fan of how English spelling takes on foreign words and adjusts the spelling where necessary. "Do" as a note comes from Latin, and is pronounced "doh.")

Kenneth
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Charles...keep 'em in the choir loft, and there's no issue.
    What's more an issue is the church-choir culture where singing is a girl thing. In Catholicism, I see that in OF parishes but NOT in EF parishes. Why is that?
  • BenBen
    One simple reason, Jeffrey: chant and polyphony are awesome. The Gather hymnal is not. :D
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    More like polyphony requires SATB. Gather requires S, with everyone else doubling. If you're going to talk about a direct musical connection, start there.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    In the one "awesome music" OF parish I'm familiar with, I don't see men lining up to sing.
  • Fair call, then. Now it won't be a musical connection but a cultural one. What is it in the culture of the parish such that men aren't interested or able to sing? Not knowing anything unusual about our hypothetical church choir, here's one formulation: Dad doesn't have the time. Grandpa doesn't have the voice.

This is probably why teens and children are your best bet if you're going to develop a church choir culture involving men. Early and constant formation as singers --- catch them when they're young! --- seems to work over here in instrumentalmusicland.

(This comment is also waaay off-topic. Anyone up for starting a new thread?)
  • DougS
    There are already threads on boys/men not singing, if one does a search.
  • CharlesW
    I know why we have difficulty getting men to sing, and getting new choir members. For many years, the parish school was next door to the church. The choirmaster ran a mini-choir school and trained singers. When they grew up, they moved into the parish adult choir.

Some time ago, the parish school expanded and a new building was built several miles away. The parish was landlocked at the time, so nothing big enough could be built there. A dedicated lady continued that tradition of training singers for some years, but she retired. The training of singers stopped there. A music teacher was hired who was a child of the St. Louis Jesuits. Teaching music was no longer the job of the parish music director. The school eventually became too big a financial burden for one parish, so the diocese turned it into a regional school under the administration of several parishes. The problem of getting singers now is that we are approaching adults to join the choir who have no background in singing sacred music.
    Thanked by 1DougS