Putting the Cantor in the front: ideas needed...
  • Thaxted
    I am starting a new position in a few weeks and currently at the parish the cantor sings from the back of the church in the choir loft. I know that I need to be slow in making changes - however, I would like to eventually move the cantor to the front of the church. There is a perfect space on one side of the sanctuary that would be appropriate for a cantor. They don't have any choirs (another project) and the assembly sings "ok." I am not a fan of the cantor singing loudly on well know hymns but I also think having the visual presence will help lead the assembly. Any other thoughts on making this proposal the the pastor? The cantor comes down from the choir loft to sing the psalm from the ambo and then goes back up to the choir loft. Thanks!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would suggest keeping things the way they are... A visible cantor doesn't always mean that the congregation will sing better. In fact, sometimes it means the opposite.

A cantor in the choir loft other than the Psalm is probably the ideal for most situations... Sometimes having the cantor's voice come from "within the assembly" (or from behind them) is the best situation.

If I were you I'd keep things the way they are and ask some questions:
    1) on hymns, is the organist playing in a way that encourages people to sing?
    2) are you asking the congregation to sing too much? Sometimes less is more.
    3) is the priest/deacon singing their dialogue parts? If not, this should be addressed.
    4) are all of the parts of the Mass sung at every Mass, before worrying about hymns (Kyrie, Gloria, Psalm, Alleluia/Acclamation, Sanctus, Mysterium, chanted Amen at the end of the EP, Agnus Dei). If any of those are missing, add them before you worry about hymns.
    5) are the propers chanted (English or Latin) regularly at one Mass per weekend? Could it be expanded to more?

Work on the above and worry less about having a visible cantor.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • JennyH
    A visible cantor doesn't always mean that the congregation will sing better. In fact, sometimes it means the opposite.

True that!
  • What Jenny said times 4.
  • BenBen
    I would personally leave the cantor where they are.
  • GavinGavin
    What happened to obedience to the documents? It's my impression that the GIRM makes it clear that the cantor's place is in front. Do the red, people!!

Actually, I too prefer the cantor in back, for ease of communication with the organist. The GIRM has a sound liturgical principle in making the cantor's true purpose as proclaiming the Word more clear. However, the GIRM also states this as a preference or norm, not as a strict requirement.

This is why I've been saying of late: documents are all well and good, but can we PLEASE exercise some common sense??
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst IanW
  • mahrt
    Keep it in the back
  • GIRM has accepted the fact that the epistle side lector's stand has disappeared, that the Gospel is no longer the only scripture to be declaimed from the pulpit, and that the psalm is no longer sung from the steps.

Basically, all of the scripture has now been given equal place of honor and all things are equal.

But the mere fact that this is "accepted" does not change the tradition and placing a singer at the Ambo does not make proclaiming the Word more clear, in fact, it is a distraction that has been added to the Mass,

One person saying all the readings, the Gospel and then preaching.

A myriad of people, clad in distracting and even immodest clothing traipsing up and down the steps of the sanctuary, standing silent to drag the solemn moment and them traipsing back down as the next one gets ready to traipse.

"Who's reading today? Who's singing? Who's taking the elements up to the altar?"

Stupid and dividing the congregation rather than bringing them together.

As stupid as thinking that singing Protestant hymns is an ecumenical gesture that will make them consider becoming catholic.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen VicVega
  • At the risk of alienating around here, I'm going to try to offer an actual nuance.

First: if there is a choir, it should normally be in the choir loft (assuming there is one) for accoustical reasons, independent of the theological issues.

Second: On rare occasions, parish churches are still built with quires, which is where we would, therefore, expect to find a choir, of which a cantor would be a part.

Third: Since most cantors seem to think that their visual presence is a good thing, or at least a necessary evil, they seem to think that they need to land a C-130 every time they proclaim a psalm. If this isn't a problem, (i.e., if your cantor doesn't belong at an airbase or on a Sure deoderant commercial) I can see a logic to having a restrained cantor chanting the psalm from the ambo. Hand movements are utterly unnecessary if the singing is done well.

Fourth: If we replace the allegedly responsorialized psalm with the Gradual, Tract, or Alleluia, the problem evaporates.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Gavin, maybe I'm not keeping up with GIRM, but I understand Psalmist to be a different office than Cantor. I'm with Mahrt.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen DougS
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    "Hand movements are utterly unnecessary if the singing is done well."

Couldn't this also be done through the musical arrangement? Two or three hard blasts from the organ should wake folks up enough to remind them that it's time to sing.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • GavinGavin
    Not even that, EAF. I prefer an a cappella psalm. I recently attended an Episcopal church where only the respond, and not even the text of the psalm, was in the bulletin. And the cantor was in the organ loft behind us. And yet, miraculously, the whole congregation joined in the chanted refrain, without audible cue or accompaniment! Magic!

All it takes is an artful and deliberate pause. I do the very same thing with palms myself. Works every time - even with Catholics!
  • chonakchonak
    Guess I need to work on the "artful" part :-)
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • GavinGavin
    On the other hand, I attended a Mass today where the cantor raised her hands high above her head 2 measures before and throughout each refrain. I had never seen that before, and could not sing the refrain because of my laughter.

So it sure didn't help me sing.
    Thanked by 2Jenny [Deleted User]
  • CharlesW
    I'm keeping them in the loft. Never give a church diva an audience, or they start performing.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • My parish moved into a new church a month ago. The organ and singers were in the back, but now are "at about 10 o'clock" in the front. The congregation sings extremely well, especially in our new acoustic, but I am very worried that the people will start to watch the performance instead of participating, especially if there is a mic'd cantor for the hymns. I've seen it happen too many times - they become, truly, a soloist. Time will tell.

On the other hand, I think it's a no-brainer to have the cantor at the front leading the responsorial Psalm and Alleluia. Just make sure you coach them on their gestures in case Gavin or myself is in the audience.
  • benedictgal
    In my own case, insofar as my father's parish is concerned, I sing from the front. I do not have any accompanyment so it's just me. As a priest friend of mine told me, it's hard to drive the bus from the back.

When we did have a cantor and a guitarist, they were in the choir loft. No one sang. This is attributed to the types of music selected and to the fact that the vocalist's range made it hard for people to sing along (even if they wanted to do so).

The only time I will sing "solo" is when I chant the SEP introit and Communion antiphon. What I have done is step away from the microphone during the parts of the Mass and the hymns.
  • GavinGavin
    I disagree, Wies, on this being a "no-brainer", though you can read my objections above. I just want to say that I HAVE seen appropriate gestures in the past during responsorial music:

- a simple lifting of the gaze to the congregation
    - at one Episcopal church, the psalm was in a Gregorian responsorial style, and the conductor (in front, in the usual Anglican fashion) turned halfway to the congregation and gave a simple cue, as in conducting, then turned back to the choir
    - an arm raised noticeably, just prior to the respond, then returned after the first beat or so

Though I still maintain: good timing will do all the work for you!
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • BenBen
    The other thing to keep in mind when reading the GIRM is that it must not be read in a vacuum. It must be interpreted with an assumption that nothing has changed, unless it is so written. Ya know, hermeneutic of continuity and all that.
  • On theological grounds, I can't see any logic to being up front: if we are supposed to face God together, shouldn't the cantor face God also?

As to the driving of the bus analogy, I've always thought that the driver should look to the road on which he is driving, not at the children in the car or sheep in the herd.

Remember that it is the Liturgy itself which should govern our actions, not merely practical concerns about this community.

Consider what my young son knew in his first communion year, but which professors of theology forget: "Why, in the English Mass, does the priest have his back to Jesus the whole time?"

Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • benedictgal
    Actually, the analogy does work. When the vocalist and the guitarist were in the choir loft, no one sang. The people in this particular parish work better with some sort of visual leadership. The way that the church is configured, the only place to be is in the sanctuary.

Now, in my parish, where I cantor on an emergency basis, the choir and the pianist are off to the side. The location is still visible enough to the faithful where a cantor could lead the singing. The only time I go up to the sanctuary is when I am chanting the responsorial psalm.

A cantor may not be the ideal for many here in this forum, but, when all you have is a cantor (no organist and no choir), then that is all you have. Don't knock all of us down for trying to help. Not all of us are divas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    If you can, take into account the cantor's location. If he has to be up front, it would be good to keep him off to the side to preserve the prominence of the altar and the priest.

If it's practicable, consider having the cantor move to join the choir after the homily.
  • DougS
    CharlesW, do your psalmists also sing from the loft?
  • CharlesW
    Yes they do. The Pastor doesn't want them in front, so that is that. The exception is the very early Sunday morning mass where there is no cantor and no choir. Then the reader reads the psalm after the first reading.
    Thanked by 2DougS E_A_Fulhorst
  • benedictgal
    CharlesW, is your pastor not aware of this section from the GIRM:

(309) ....From the ambo only the readings, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed;...
  • Back, back, back....the GIRM is but a Cliff's notes....and you have to take into consideration what Cliff's position is. Remember, many of the problems with the old translation was the political leaning of the translators.

The GIRM is simply an attempt to try and balance out the perversions of those who have no respect for the liturgy and what the Roman Missal says. They are GENERAL instructions, not specific.

If you want a visual sign for the people to follow from the front, have it been the priest, the servers, people who are already on view participating.

If they all portray the visual impression that they are listening to the psalm and singing the response, they've done their job.

The pulpit is not raised so that they people can see the priest, it is raised so that they will be able to hear the priest, which is also why is was common practice to put a sounding board above it to reflect the sound of the chanted (Gospel) and spoken (Sermon) voice.

If the Mass is truly transcendent then people will close their eyes in wonder so there's be no reason for the cantor to be on display.

Got to go, my wife has to let the donkeys out. In exchange for the farm duties, I am taking her out for pizza.
  • CharlesW
    GIRM also mentions something along the lines of, "or other suitable place." Send in the liturgy police! So sue us!
    Thanked by 2DougS Thaxted
  • chonakchonak
    BG, that line in the GIRM is in the section about church furnishings, not in the procedural section about the various parts of the Mass. So it should be taken as indicative and not prescriptive.

Also, the translation is a little misleading: more correct would be: "From one ambo, readings, the responsorial psalm and the Exsultet are presented." The point is that the priest in the OF no longer has to read the Gospel and the Epistle from the two sides of the altar as in the EF.

• Hmmm.

Chonak's comments would lead inexorably to the following conclusion: the Extraordinary form is easier to follow than the ordinary form, since you can tell, especially at a solemn high Mass what part of the Mass you are seeing just by telling who is chanting the epistlle or gospel. This is true EVEN IF we don't understand the language of the Mass itself.

The quotes from the GIRM about the use of an Ambo lead somewhere, too: only the cantor should be at the ambo, not the entire choir.
  • chonakchonak
    GIRM 61 confirms that CharlesW's memory is correct: "Psalmista proinde, seu cantor psalmi, in ambone vel alio loco apto profert versus psalmi..."
  • Thaxted
    Thanks to those of you supporting my idea of placing the cantor in front. The assembly does not sing as well as I know they could. I am hoping a visual presence will help. The pastor has charged me with introducing a variety of music. The parish is currently using the Worship Hymnal and the pastor has asked me to starting using a little more from the Gather Hymnal and chant settings as well. I may have not been clear enough in my original post...the area I am proposing they go is to the right of the sanctuary where a side altar used to be. The ambo is also on this side. The church only has an organ. Since the pastor has asked for music that requires piano this might also need to go up from as the loft is too small. The opposite side is where the tabernacle is placed. I eventually also want to get Jesus moved back in the center of the sanctuary, but one thing at a time. I would make moving the tabernacle more a priority but it would cost a lot of money and the donors from there renovation a few years ago are very much involved in the parish...
  • CharlesW
    Of course, all this depends on your cantor. I have had days when I wanted to put one in the parking lot and lock the door!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • BenBen
    LOL!
  • Maureen
    I do a lot of cantoring, and I've done it from the loft as well as in front. I've done it when I was too short to see over the ambo, and at my present adult size. The only benefit for being in front as the psalmist is that it is more ceremonious to go up the altar steps and proclaim from the ambo. The most important thing for this is to have people practice walking and bowing in a fitting way, and to have the timing down. The only other important thing is to enunciate clearly and with sufficient volume, neither too loud or too soft, and to sing/chant with understanding.

Having somebody see you or not see you as you sing has no practical effect on whether people sing or don't sing. You don't need to make gestures; as noted above, pauses that are consistent, and clear enunciation, are more important.

Doing the Alleluia is similar. I do think it helps to sing the actual proper Alleluia verse, because that makes people listen up for something different instead of lapsing into coma the 27th time they hear one of the optional every-Sunday verses.

I assume you've already checked speaker levels and are not deafening the congregation, or having them confused by hearing delayed "echoes" or such. Obviously you'll have to think about the latter, if you're playing in back and your cantor's singing up front.

There are some parishes which, for historical or ethnic reasons, are not big on singing. They may be very big on listening -- bigger than you know. There may be things they will sing that you just don't know yet. Or they may just be taking a while to warm up to you. Shrug. It might be helpful to talk to some of the older parishioners who've been there a while, to find out what kind of music experiences the parish has gone through, good or bad.

Good luck!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • But when you were too short to be seen, and this would be worth knowing, did they respond to those two little disembodied arms flailing away like wings on the sides of the ambo?

Seriously, Maureen, I know that you did not put these in order of importance but:

1. The most important thing for this is to have people practice walking and bowing in a fitting way, and to have the timing down.

2. The only other important thing is to enunciate clearly and with sufficient volume, neither too loud or too soft, and to sing/chant with understanding.

2. is the most important...1.....to me this detracts as it makes moving and your appearance while moving almost sacramental...

(Please,not an attack, just a feeling)

Altar boys spent time learning all the Latin, memorized, then were tutored in the physical actions in serving Mass, began to assist experienced boys and finally served as head server.

People who have voices (please, let's not get into the anyone can sing battle. If that were true, Florence Foster Jennings would be unknown) may be the last people you want walking around the sanctuary. Someone who is disabled might fear the attention involved in going up there.

Let's abandon the OF "Let's all participate! I'm taking the gifts up!"
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Absolutely, positively in the back - at least if that's where the leading musical instrument is. Of course, that's where it should be in most cases. (Organ building pun intended!) Music leads the congregation better from behind, and sound carries out over the people better from above, especially when there is carpet on the floor and pew cushions.

If the cantor must be in front, absolutely no hand signals! If the music is not properly (another pun intended) written such that anyone can tell when the verse ends and the antiphons begins, simply don't use that music!

If the congregation is not singing, first and foremost consider what precisely you are asking them to sing, and secondly how you are presenting it - over the long haul. Music is still the universal language - trust that. But the musical leadership needs consistency, especially in style. You cannot keep introducing new things (even if the are actually old), constantly changing up the format and content week to week.

Present the best music possible as the community's offering to God, and the people will eventually become part of it - even if they begin by only accepting it internally. Keep presenting simpler music, attempting to reach their common comfort level gives neither anything good to them or to God.
  • BenBen
    Very punny, Steve. Very punny.
  • donr
    I used to sing as cantor in a mid sized church, sat about 500.
    There never was a choir except for Advent/Christmas, Lent/Easter seasons. So most of the time it was a pianist and a cantor.
    The piano was always in the front so the cantor always sang from the ambo.
    Then during the choir season the organist would play in the loft and the cantor would stay at the ambo. This caused all kinds of issues due to latency. The organist thought the cantor was dragging and the organist thought the cantor was dragging so the whole thing just sounded horrible.

I say keep the cantor where the accomp. is.
    Another reason for the cantor to be next to the accompanying/leading instrument.

This is not taught in any music school that I know of. But I taught it to myself at St. Mary of the Lake Church on the north side of Chicago. "Anticipation" - but not like Heinz ketchup. The organist sets the tempo, and the cantor, a block away must follow. But when performing together, the organist CANNOT wait to hear is the cantor is there or not. If you do, you're late. If you're late the cantor is unsure and becomes even later. You're playing need to be in front of the cantor - how much, I'm not sure. It's like playing a fast organ passage on and old Skinner organ with slow chests in the pedal division and even slower speech on the pipes. You must hit each pedal note BEFORE the manual notes if you're going to produce music!

Now, for the academia nuts out there - how did I learn to do that without finishing college and getting that all-important degree?
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • benedictgal
    Steve, at my dad's parish where K cantor, I have no accompaniment. It is just me. The pastor has no issue with my being in front. The parish is small.

Now, for the Spanish language Mass, the choir and guitars are in the choir loft. They sing the Responsorial Psalm from up there,but, it is the same melody and tone week in and week out. Tomorrow, I am filling in for them and it will be interesting.
    Well, I'm sure there are cases where up front works better, especially with some of the church architecture we've been "blessed" with since Vatican II! It's just that I see no logical, historical, or theological reason for music leadership from the front of the church.

And there's nothing bad about using the same music, or musical formula every week. I would tend to employ a tone for a season at a time, with some special tones set aside for holy days. This applies to Proper and Ordinary, Gregorian or Anglican in style.