Anyone heading to Pittsburgh, PA next week for that thing?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is anyone else from the CMAA heading to Pittsburgh, PA next week for that thing?
  • I was considering making a day trip, but I'm not sure yet.
  • mike_l
    I'll be headed that way for a few days at least...probably Tuesday and Wednesday. I need to get a few "education hours" in per my contract, and some of the offerings look interesting. I would have loved to go to SLC but it's just too far.
  • Shall I presume "that thing" mentioned in the title of this thread is the NPM Convention?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I shall indeed be there all five days.

The Pittsburgh team did a great job of putting together some excellant offerings.

Although not a fan of the overall philosophy that NPM tends to perpetuate, I'm impressed with this year's convention. There's some actual depth to the offerings, such as master classes on the music of Jean Langlais and some weighty theological offerings.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • After experiencing the praise bands on the concourse, and the Mass 2 years ago in Detroit (complete with liturgical dancing and a bit too much Spanish), I can't imagine ever joining that group, at least until the 70's re-treads and the iconoclasts are buried and the publishing houses are driven out like the money changers from the temple.

The organ crawl was fun, though. I shall never forget the looks on the faces (and tears in the eyes of some) of those who visited my beautiful home church, with its 6 altars, dozens of stautes, and historic organ for the first time. They neither saw nor heard anything profane in that temple of God.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, Father, I did mean that... I didn't want to mention it by name though as I figured I'd start getting negative posts and didn't want things to degenerate. I figured those who were going would know what I meant by "that thing," and those who weren't going wouldn't open the thread if I didn't mention those three letters.

Those of you who are, feel free to send me a message on here if you'd like to get together for a cocktail during the week. I also know a FANTASTIC Italian restaurant that I went to during Colloquium week last year that has changed my entire view on modern Italian cooking.
    Good Italian? I'm THERE.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Piccolo Forno, a short drive and slightly difficult parking, but well worth it.
  • I'll give MJM a huzzah for his explanation, Fr. Chepponis. I didn't know what "the thing" was, and my interest moved on and away, rather than to follow up. And knowing Matthew for many years, he wouldn't intend to slight an event he himself was attending, or at all for that matter to any group promoting excellence in music and liturgy.
  • Matthew (and Charles),

No offense taken.

Matthew, I do understand what you’re saying, and thank you for your comments and support. But isn’t it a little sad for us to realize that some members here might post negative comments about NPM? I would also hope that NPM members would respect the work of CMAA, despite our differences.

To paraphrase the Harry Potter books/movies, I hope people don’t consider NPM as “That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named” (Lord Voldemort)!

We here in Pittsburgh have worked very hard to offer a good NPM convention experience. I’ll be directing the music for the main convention Mass. Honestly, I feel like I’ll be in a minefield, as even before a note sounds, I know that we can’t fulfill everyone’s expectations of what the music should be like at an NPM Convention liturgy. To help address this, I’ve written a sort of “apologia” that will be printed in the Convention program book explaining the reasons for the music choices at the Mass, with the hope that people will at least understand the rationale for the musical selections, even if some might disagree with the choices made.

And… (drum roll, please!)… at the Mass, we will have an Introit refrain sung (in English) from the Graduale Romanum during the Entrance Procession, followed by a hymn. (Although I know that’s not how some would prefer it)!

So, Matthew (and any other CMAA folks who are coming to NPM next week), an advance welcome to Pittsburgh! I hope you have a great week. Say hi if you get a chance.

Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Oh Father, don't worry about your Introit/Entrance hymn hybrid. Kudos. We know from "The Stuffed Mass Syndrome" over here at CMAA. I actually thiink Dr. Mahrt coined the term after a lunch we had at the Wine Institute of New Orleans (W.I.N.O. seriously, it's there and I have a bag to prove it!)
    Here's praying, wishin' and a hopin' that not only dialogue continues, but that invitations such as was extended to Dr. Ford from CMAA to address at our colloquium might be complemented by Dr. McMahon inviting Bill Mahrt or Jeff Tucker to a plenum at an NPM one fine day.
  • chonakchonak
    It's good to hear that an Introit will be sung at a Mass there. Can Fr. say any more about the piece? That is, will it be from an existing collection of English propers/adaptations (such as American Gradual or Simple English Propers) or from a new project?
  • CharlesW
    MJM, I have had bad experiences with that group which shall not be named. However, I realize it has changed over the years. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on the convention when you return.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Chepponis,

Good of you to intervene here, and best wishes re: your efforts. I won't be attending, and won't in future years, until a lot of things change, particularly the theological tone.
  • Fr. Chepponis, I will be wishing you well, with many prayers! Although I won't be able to attend this one, perhaps we'll meet up at the next one. God Bless and keep up the great work!
  • As a singer in the main convention Mass, and an organist for a couple of events throughout the week, I'd like to note that Fr. Chepponis and his committee have done a very admirable job in the planning and preparation of the liturgical elements of the convention. I think any CMAA member who attends will be pleased.

P.S.: if anyone is attending the organ crawl on Monday, please introduce yourself--I will be helping out at a few of the venues.

P.P.S.: If anyone is in the mood for a field trip, my parish, which is located a few miles from downtown, just installed a wonderful new 3 manual organ in a lovely acoustic. I'd be happy to show her off to anyone interested.

njgw, count me in. I'd like to see it.
  • njgw, is that you, Nick?
  • Guilty.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I got into Pittsburgh today and I must say that I do love this city.... there's just something about it that is so interesting to me... the bridges, the bars, the water, the mountains/hills....

I believe Jeffrey Tucker, at Colloquium 2010 or 2011 said he thought Pittsburgh was sort of like Gregorian chant. I'm not sure I understood what he meant then, and I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand what he meant, but this is a great city! Local citizens, you are very lucky!
  • It is, indeed, a gem of a city--a great place to live and work!
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    WiesOrganista Where is you parish?
  • Ruth,
    My "home" parish is Sweetest Heart of Mary in Detroit. I am the MD at another parish, however, and miss going to Mass there very much.