How well do you know your Gregorian chant?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This Sunday is the 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B.

QUIZ:

The Chants Abrégés Gradual (the first version, click here) shares the same melody as what piece in the Solesmes CANTUS SELECTI ?
  • No. 72.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    :-) Bingo!

I know that as a piece for the Sacred Heart, but I wonder where the actual melody comes from.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Here's another question: This coming Sunday is the 8th Sunday after Pentecost in the Extraordinary Form and the Alleluia is Magnus Dominus in mode 7. I love this Alleluia but last year we sang the Chant Abreges for the 8th Sunday so I am wondering why I know it. Perhaps we sang it at some other time during the year. Is anyone familiar with this Alleluia and do you know if it is used on another Sunday. I don't have any of my chant books at home with me so I can't look it up.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The Chants Abrégés (1955 edition) does not alter the Alleluia melodies.
  • The 1957 ed. of Cantus Selecti on musicasacra.com has a section titled "Adnotationes" in the back with sources indicated for each of the chants in the book. It says for No. 72:

72. Cor Jesu, caritatis. - Textus deprompti ex Evangelio S. Joannis. Modus musici sunt formulae antiquae psalmodicae. (Nota e Cant. Rom. Seraph., I95I, p. 376).

So ancient psalm tone, probably a contempary setting of the text to it.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Hi JMO, It often simplifies them quite a bit. This one is so beautiful, IMO, that it should never be simplified.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Bummer- I'm late to the game. But I knew it was Cor Jesu! I love that one- such a simple, piercing text. 'Caritatis victima' just sends me.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau