The FSSP, the sense of worship, and the hermeneutic of continuity
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    There was talk in another thread about how we busted up our worship so bad that we don't know anymore. Which is manifestly true, certainly in the Ordinary Form. However, in the Extraordinary Form there's thriving worship --- along with whatever else --- better than it's ever been in recent memory. (Like chant, maybe Latin had to die so it could be saved.)

Here's the question: What role can the FSSP and other groups play in helping the Ordinary Form regain the Catholic sense of worship?
  • This is easy:

1) They can lead by example, intentionally choosing those who are skilled in music to lead their scolae cantorum.

2) They can provide recordings and workshops for those who are interested in learning to follow their example and propagate it elsewhere.

3) They can encourage prayers for the renewal of Catholic music.

So far as I know, they're already doing all of these.
  • cgz's points are all good.

Catholic families are looking for solidity in their parishes. Pastors lose some parishioners, incl. families, to FSSP parishes, and rethink the liturgical and catechetical state of their own parish. That's part of the gravitational pull works- reform and see your own parish thrive.
  • The FSSP and the TLM Masses only serve to get complainers out of NO parishes. This is not a bad thing, except that it removes the chance that these people could have remained and made change from within.
  • Not quite true where I'm at, Noel. Several families that wanted the best for their children left their parishes to join the FSSP parish in my area. I know several of these families. They were active contributors to their former parishes. They just got tired of watching their children grow in parishes with struggling or questionable Catholic identity. They weren't known as complainers.

In fact, of the nine families I can think of off the top of my head, none had been to the EF more than a handful of times... they weren't agitating for that in their former parishes.

I made the switch because I was hired by an FSSP pastor. But the people I know who joined the parish often cite they were drawn in by 'more of everything Catholic' they saw in the parish.

I respect the people who leave parishes because they want more Catholicity. I also respect the people who stay in their parishes and try to improve things.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I love it when people accuse those of us who have left N. O. parishes of being in a Latin cult.
  • CharlesW
    Some are attached to the EF liturgy, which was the reason for allowing it in the first place - at least that's what JPII indicated. That's fine. I have no attachment to that liturgy and am focused on trying to make the OF all that it can be, and what it was intended to be. Unfortunately, there are crazy people on both sides of this issue, and that's the element that nothing will ever remove.

Noel has a point, in that an old strategy is to keep like-minded trouble makers together, so they can be more easily observed.
  • teachermom24
    Having experienced the EF liturgy (St. Francis de Sales Oratory in St. Louis) for the first time a month ago, my inclination would certainly be join a TLM parish if one were near enough for my family. But God has not so decreed and my family is in an NO parish where we are the music leaders for one Mass, and the only family, as far as I know, in our parish with a concern for liturgy. So I look to the TLM parishes for inspiration, instruction and encouragement (the very points cgz made) as we try to help our parish move in the direction of greater Catholic music.

Kathy
  • DougS
    I think it is useful to point out that there are different varieties of EF venues. On one side, I see FSSP parishes or otherwise regular parishes that offer the EF. On the other side, there are the small, quasi-roguish chapels that pride themselves on their "independence" from diocesan authority, which comes across as a euphemism for rejection of that authority ("VII was illegitimate and so were all the popes after," etc. etc.). There is probably some middleground, too.

The first type is where we will see real progress toward mutual enrichment, a reclaiming of Catholic identity, and all those positive things that the EF brings our world. The other is just unsavory and bitter.
    The FSSP will for the forseeable and conceivable future be a kind of boutique parish. Love it or hate it, the generic brand bread and butter of the Church in America will very long be the diocese. (Which is as it should be.) It is necessary that whatever good work the FSSP can do, there should also be outreaches from other parties to the FSSP.

There are three questions:

1. Retaining for the moment the Ordinary Form, what efforts can be made to restore the sense of worship in the Novus Ordo which relies on the FSSP but does not rely on the FSSP's initiative?

2. Music contributes to the sense of worship, but what about, more broadly, the sense of worship as can be considered independent of the music? In what way can the FSSP contribute to that?

3. Is there any hope for the FSSP representing the starting point of a true hermeneutic of continuity? In my naive model of the way the world turns, I'm imagining bishops requiring all seminaries to "detox" by exclusive immersion in the Extraordinary Form before they're allowed to touch minor seminary.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    At Sacred Heart seminary in Detroit the first thing we heard was that there would be no instruction in the E.F. until the Archbishop made the request. This past year the seminarians were told that there would instruction starting sometime in 2012. It hasn't happened yet.
  • In the way of outreach, there are two programs that have been successful in my FSSP parish. (I serve as the DoM.)

1) Chant Camp- combo of band camp and chant intensive, a week-long day camp where kids from around the diocese are immersed in chant and have long lunch breaks playing soccer/frisbee with the priests. All efforts culminate in a Solemn Mass at the end of the week. This year we had 70 kids from 8-9 parishes.

2) Intro to Gregorian Chant- free classes offered weekly in the Fall open to anyone in the diocese (or beyond, in the case of nearby Mexico). There's 20-30 people who attend, deacons and choir members and pips. Almost everyone is from outside the parish. Repertoire is basic- 1 ordinary, 1 creed, 3-4 hymns. Some discussion of musical structure of the Mass.

Thanked by 1veromary
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Charles I had no particular attachment to the E. F. but I sure do now. Of course I am deeply involved in the liturgy of this Mass so that probably accounts for some of it. I do love going to E. F. Masses though, even when I am not singing in or directing the choir.
  • Remember that the FSSP (and other groups) can not force those in Ordinary Form parishes to take notice, merely to present the good, the true and the beautiful. Our local Institute of Christ the King parish has begun to provide a way for non-traditionalist priests to have an outlet for their need for the Extraordinary form. Daily Mass is now prayed by a diocesan priest and a Carmelite, among others.

I advertise the peace and serenity I experience at the Extraordinary form to friends of mine, and now they come to that form of the Mass because they appreciate not having to spend the rest of an afternoon explaining to their children what shouldn't have happened in their ordinary form parish.

The Canons Regular of St. John Cantius are also offering help priests to learn the venerable form of the Mass.

It just seems like if we are going to have a real hermeneutic of continuity when reading the documents of Vatican II, it would take commentaries from a priest from something like the FSSP, (if a full-immersion detox program is out of the question.)
  • DougS
    Laszlo Dobszay's book on the organic development of the Roman Rite offers a lot of practical advice on this, as well.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Just an observation...since choir is out for the summer, I've been attending my nearest FSSP parish, which has been doing low Masses (real low Masses, not "Low Mass with hymns"), since THEIR choir is out for the summer. And I think I finally understand and accept the liturgy reforms of Vatican 2. They were massively screwed up in implementation, but I'm seeing why they needed to happen. Is that an example of what you're asking about?
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Hi Jeffrey I went to a low Mass yesterday morning, no singing of anything. Why do you say the reforms needed to happen, just curious?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'm cool with Latin...but we needed the immediacy of English, we needed more responses for the congregation, we needed music to be integrated into the liturgy. The silence can be nice, and the preaching there is better than the usual (main reason I'm there). It's just that I noticed the absence of things I'm used to from the OF or the EF missa cantata.
    Jeff: Yes. To get an idea of the authentic trajectory of Vatican II, we must have an idea of the origin. Even better, we must have an idea about "best practice" of the Missal of 1962. (Whether best practice actually existed at the time is a separate question and utterly irrelevant to the question of interpreting the best practice Novus Ordo, or anything, in the light of Vatican II.)

How could anyone --- abstracting from those present for the moment --- who hates the Latin Mass interpret the Novus Ordo correctly? To a lesser degree, the same applies to anyone ignorant of the Latin Mass. Still worse would we someone studying something other than best practice Latin Mass who is making declarations about best practice Novus Ordo.

And I think I finally understand and accept the liturgy reforms of Vatican 2. They were massively screwed up in implementation, but I'm seeing why they needed to happen.

Yes! And it is not just why reform, but what reform. (At this point, it's more like a question of "which reforms" considering the modern ... variety.)
  • In order to know how to implement any reform (of the Ordinary Form), one needs to see properly the situation in which that reform was originally ordered. Put it a different way: if one son takes something off his brother's dresser and then says that he needs proper instruction on the use of what he stole, the first part of properly understanding anything is returning the stolen item.

Read the documents of Vatican II in the context of 1958, not 1971.

Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst gregp
    We can do even better than that. The Tridentine Mass was probably never better celebrated or understood than it is today. We are better off than folks were when preceding the council.
    Thanked by 2chonak gregp
  • gregpgregp
    A good point, EA. I think that the EF is not only better understood today, it's also being sung more often than it ever was, and it seems that every week brings news of new instances of its revival.

The plural of anecdote is not data, however, so my experience is no more 'valid' than anyone else's. I grew up with the EF, and I never knew that something other than a Low Mass even existed until 2008, when I experienced it at the Chant Intensive and the Colloquium. So I had no love for the EF, until I experienced it the way it's supposed to be.

I'm sure there are some "bitter clingers" out there who attend the EF because of old feelings, but I also know that there are a lot of younger people who were born decades after the Council and don't care a fig for the way things were in 1960. All they know is that they much prefer a Missa Cantata than go to the local parish with its associated silliness (again, not always and everywhere, but in many, many places). I will say that our weekly EF attendance is about 100, and the age breakdown is about 30% (0-20 years old), 30% (21-40), 30% (41-60), and 10% (over 60). So the only experience of the EF that 90% of our congregation has ever had is with its current incarnation.

I will also say that I think many, if not most, of my friends who attend that Mass would agree that if you don't have any music at all, an Ordinary Form Mass, properly celebrated, would be prefereable to a Low Mass in the EF. Maybe that's a way forward?
  • BenBen
    From everything I've seen, the amount of young people and families (and older people, for that matter) that "get it" vastly outnumber the so called bitter clingers. Like Greg said, the plural of anecdote is not data, but that has been my overwhelming experience in every case.
  • Greg:

Recognizing that the plural of anecdote isn't data, you and I still keep different friend groups. I know few people who would prefer the Ordinary Form if they have had experience with the Extraordinary Form.

Thanked by 2tomjaw E_A_Fulhorst
    Part of the trouble with the EF is that there's a learning curve. This hides the chief benefit of the EF (as celebrated, mind), which is that in the end it's easier to pray. The EF, you see, doesn't hide the nuts and bolts.

At first, those nuts and bolts are daunting. Once you're familiar with them, though, the EF fits like a second skin; the OF, with all its options, is always up to the personality of the priest or pastor.

(Digression: The result is that the OF, if celebrated wide-open and in the modern manner, is far more susceptible to clericalism than the EF ever was. The celebrant seems Master of Ceremonies more than Servant of God. This is one area crying out for reform, I think --- maybe convince the local bishop to establish norms on which options are chosen for which occasions?)
  • Bump. Because Fulhorsts last comment is gold and needs to be seen more often.
  • Mrs. Carr Wilson,

Do you by chance have some sort of outline for your weekly chant course? I hoping to start something of that sort at our university chant group.
  • For the Ordinary Form, I think there are plenty of places today that celebrate it with a sense of reverence and worship. I think principally of the Benedictine monasteries with which I'm familiar. The monastery I'm associated with as oblate, does a beautiful job with the OF Mass. It's usually packed every Sunday. The Propers and Ordinary follow the Graduale Romanum faithfully in Latin/Greek Gregorian chant. The rest is in solemn French plainchant. All the rubrics are followed, every liturgical "i" dotted and "t" crossed. I've seen the same thing at Benedictine monasteries in Europe. How then could this contribute?

In our oblate community a number of us have, for many years, been chanting in a small schola in Sherbrooke, Quebec made up of laymen including 3 of us oblates. We bring Gregorian chant to a different parish each month. While we get that part OK, there clearly is work to do with the rest of the worship. But we're doing what we can to bring back a sense of tradition to the Ordinary Form.
  • Mary Ann,

I also would like to know more about how you structure your weekly chant course (how long are the sessions, how many sessions, when are the sessions (evenings or weekends?), general format, underlying method of teaching etc.). Also, how did you get the word out? Did you advertise through your diocesan paper or is it mainly word of mouth?

Janet.
  • We can do even better than that. The Tridentine Mass was probably never better celebrated or understood than it is today. We are better off than folks were when preceding the council.

Understood today, yes.

Better celebrated? No. Priests then, as today, strove for excellence. I, and others, were there.

There also was a higher standard of requirements in the seminary, both in accepting applicants and studies.
  • francis
    Yea, Noel, I also celebrated the TLM as an altar boy just before it got replaced.