Handing out copies of the Liber Usualis at the door?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    "I remember too attending services at Monsignor Martin Hellriegel's Church
    of the Holy Cross near Saint Louis, Missouri, in 1948 and again in 1959.
    The usher presented each person with a "Liber Usualis" at the door. If the
    book were put down for only a second, the usher reappeared and opened the
    book to the proper page. Everyone was expected to participate, an activity
    that was most unusual at that time. From 1948 to 1953, I was the
    representative in New England for the Gregorian Institute of America,
    responsible for teaching choirs and organists, introducing them to
    Gregorian chant. Rather strangely, Day claims that Catholic parishes got
    rid of their boy choirs in the 1940's and 1950's"

From http://www.ewtn.com/library/LITURGY/CASING.TXT
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • IanWIanW
    Goodness, Jeff, you had me confused there for a moment!
  • CharlesW
    And I was just thinking, "He doesn't look his age, at all!"
  • chonakchonak
    Well, Msgr. Hellriegel was exemplary: his account of teaching chant to the parish kids (and later the adults) was told in Caecilia in 1956; an excerpt is on-line here.

With the exception of the Requiem our people had practically done no chant, which, in a way, was a blessing. It is easier to start from scratch than to re-build. I bought the Solesmes chant records and was determined to sing, at least with the children and choir, the Lux et Origo Mass for my first Easter at Holy Cross (1941). I told the children: "The Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent are the greater Lenten days when the people of old fasted more strictly. Now, you don't have to fast as yet, but how would it be, if on these days during Lent we would assemble in church from 11:15 till 11:45 to learn the Easter Mass"?

They were quite enthusiastic. We supplied them with Kyriales. During the first week of Lent they merely listened to the monks, following the music in their booklets. During the second week I permitted them to hum along, but very quietly. During the third they hummed again, but with more rhythm. During the fourth they sang, but lightly. During the fifth they sang with more expression, and during the sixth they did it "without the monks". Easter morning they sang the "Lux et Origo" Mass without books.

The people were so impressed by the children's joyous singing that many of them came and said: "We also want to learn that beautiful Mass". Again I followed the same method, and by Pentecost many of the grown-ups were able to sing this beautiful paschal Mass together with the Children.

Today, the people sing: Masses 1, 4, 9, 11, 17 and 18; the children sing: 1, 2, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, and selections from the ad libitum. Since 1943, it has been the privilege of the first graders to sing alone the Sanctus and Benedictus after the preface of the blessing of the palms quite an experience for them and their parents, and the congregation.

• BenBen
    Too cool, guys.
  • Msgr. Hellriegel wrote several English masses in chant style and a full set of responsorial psalms. He arranged a haunting Christmas novena, which is still available from the Sisters of the Precious Blood in O'Fallon, MO. (Msgr. Hellriegel was their chaplain in the 1920's & 30's and is buried in their cemetery.) I had the privilege of working with him for all too short a time while I was in graduate school. What an education!
  • The perfect answer to those ever-present grumps of our time who toss those 'nobody can sing that' memes around, infecting everyone within ear-shot with instant dementia!
    Attitude and encouragement are all it takes.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Samuel, would it be possible for you to scan in some sample pages of his Masses and/or Responsorial psalms?