Johannes Heugel, Veni electa
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    From a person who couldn't figure out how to sign up

Johannes Heugel was active at the court of Landgraf Philip iof Hesse, Kassel, Germany, from the 1530's through the 1560's. In 1539 he wrote a wedding motet for 12 voices, "Foelix illa sit ter Palatine," divided into three SATB choruses. Some of the vocal lines are adapted from Gregorian chant. Using your Global Chant Database I identified "Tota Pulchra es amica mea," a chant from the Canticle of Canticles.
    However, I have not identified another line which appears also to be from a chant: "Veni electa mea." Attached is this line, Tenor 3, from which I have omitted empty measures to facilitate reading the melody. Could you give me some suggestions on identifying this melody, seemingly chant? Would you or someone who might be knowleageable on this know the source of this apparent chant meloldy?
    The Global chant Database is a truly monumental resource, and SO EASY to use. I had not used it before and was amazed that such a comprehensive compilation of chants was so quickly available at the researcher's fingertips.
    You may find information about my past editions of 16th cnetury composers by checking A-R Editions, and the American Institute of Musicology editions. These composers include Pierre de Manchicourt, George de La Hele, Philippe Rogier, and Gery de Ghersem, all from the Low Countries active at the Spanish Court of Philip II, c. 1560-1600.
    I was at the founding of Sacred Music, the journal, in 1967 at Boys town, Nebraska. Some years past I have had short articles in Sacred Music. I am now retired from Quincy (IL) University and still doing research.

• Protasius
    The attachment is a proposition for a Liturgia Horarum antiphoner. The text "Veni electa mea" ist used as 4th antiphon of Lauds in the Common of Virgins in the Antiphonale Romanum.