Magnificat - 1973 ICEL text with Fauxbourdons by William Byrd (Tone I)
  • Chris_McAvoyChris_McAvoy
    I think this sounds very good sung with only the first two or three parts at the top, (alto, soprano, tenor I presume) as well as good with all 5 parts.

Magnificat - (Tone I) (1973 ICEL text with Fauxbourdons by William Byrd) (16th c.)

Perhaps someone else can make use of this besides me?

I am going to typeset all the other 7 modes to the same magnificat text with the 16th c. fauxbordons.
    It will take a few months to finish it up. If anyone has any advice or recommendations.. please share them.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • BenBen
    Looks very nice. I love a choral setting of the magnificat at solemn vespers.

I think there's one small typo in the first line, assuming you're creating this to be used with the current LOTH books:

Correct: my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
    In the music: and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Verse 9 also has a few problems. Here's the correct text:

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
    the promise he made to our fathers,
    to Abraham and his children for ever.
    Yes, I know, I added the word "and" before "my spirit" and the suffix "ed" to rejoice.
    The syntax of the sentence was incorrect as it was.

I had hoped this would be seen as an addition, not an omission, still following the spirit of the law.

Those are the only 2 ways in which any of the text deviate.

Verse 9 has no actual changes in text, only a change in order of the text.

Order in ICEL books is as you said

"He has come to the help of his servant Israel
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy."

my order is the traditional order found in douay rheims, king james and most older bibles as well as the book of common prayer magnificat - which was the only universally sung english magnificat text in the world for the last 500 years.

"for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
    He has come to the help of his servant Israel"

line 1 is now 2, instead of 2 being 1.
    The words themself have not changed.

It is interesting to note that the changes made to the magnificat in the Oregon Catholic Press and GIA books is typically radically different from the Official Liturgy of the Hours books. Incomparably so to what I have done. How bishops give imprimaturs to them is beyond my understanding.

If it is necessary for me to correct this I will.

I would at least like to keep the "and" in paranthesis before "my spirit" if possible for those who wish to sing it in more proper sentence structure.

After using the Book of Common Prayer/Douay Rheims Magnificat for so long, old traditional habits die hard.
    Well, anyway, the last thing I want to be is violating and innovating texts that are the official translations for regular use in typical parish churches!

God forbid that, no one would use the setting otherwise.

I wll put up the same .pdf with corrected translation, every bit as is in ICEL liturgy of hours english books. Ultimately, what you're saying is helpful by all means Mr Yanke. Thank you for helping correct a mistake I somehow made by accident.

I haven't been using the ICEL settings for very long.

• chonakchonak
    Incidentally, the Magnificat text in the Liturgy of the Hours is not the property of ICEL, but of ICET (an ecumenical translation organization); they have always been quite generous about permissions.
    I have now re-attached the corrected magnificat with text exactly as in current LOTH books in the bottom of the first post. My mistake.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Have you done this for Tone 8? I would like to use it at a retreat in the near future.