Dedication of a Church
  • Hello!

We are about to begin planning the re-opening and dedication of the new altar in our Church. Does anyone have suggestions for fitting music for the occasion?

Our little choir regularly sings Chant (propers and ordinaries) and polyphony so we are open to just about anything. The organ is, unfortunately, electric, but we may have the assistance of a chamber orchestra (!). I would be grateful for all your help folks!

Eamon.
  • G
    Bruckner's Locus Iste is, IMO, an absolute must. (CPDL.org for free, but many editions available)
    Proulx has a very lovely composition based on a 16th c tune, IIRC, or Psalm 84, How Lovely Is Thy Dwelling Place, GIA.

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • We are in the same situation in my parish. Here are some pieces I have considered:

for the choir:
    Barnard “If God is Building” (St. James Music Press, RSCM Sunday by Sunday II collection)
    any setting of Psalm 84 (David Hurd’s setting from OCP/Trinitas is fabulous! RVW has one w/ Oxford; Proulx has a GIA one.)
    sprinkling: Victoria “Vidi aquam”
    Harris “Behold the Tabernacle of God” (GIA/RSCM; the text matches the 1st antiphon for anointing)
    Bruckner “Locus iste”
    tabernacle: Pange lingua...córporis; Duruflé “Tantum ergo”
    “Wir danken dir, Gott” from Bach cantata BWV29 (same music as “Gratias agimus” from the B Minor Mass)

for the congregation:
    Haugen “All are Welcome” (pace, anti-Haugenites)
    the text of the Barnard piece above to any Common Meter tune
    Farrell “Christ, Be Our Light”
    Hillert “Festival Canticle: Worthy is Christ”
    Now Thank We All Our God
    tabernacle: Pange lingua...córporis
    Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
    Chepponis “Festival Alleluia” (you can fit one of the Lectionary verses to its verse music)

for both:
    Lynn Trapp “Look Kindly Now” (GIA, pending publication)

Use whatever service music your congregation sings well.