I am new and I could use some help!
  • mattmusic
    HI everybody,
    I am in high school and I am an organist at a convent and at one of the masses at my parish. Lately I have lost a lot of the enthusiasm I first had when I started. In other words, these positions have turned in to just my jobs and not much else. I mean I do it for the sisters, but I dont think about its role in the mass itself. Are there any books I should read which talk about the importance of music at mass? Or about how we should make music out of devotion and not just because we are paid to do it? I love playing the organ, but I really don't think about WHY its important. Any suggestions for reading are appreciated!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What sort of music are you doing?

And of course there is this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Shape-Liturgy-William-Peter/dp/0984865209
  • MJM, I wonder if Mattmusic would benefit by reading JT's SING LIKE A CATHOLIC would be a prelude to set up the intense scholarship of the Mahrt opus?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    mattmusic,

Your very thoughtful reflection reminded me of this passage from C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. The passage is about being a Christian, but it also applies to doing any solid apostolic work.

Work hard, then, on the disappointment or anticlimax which is certainly coming to the patient during his first few weeks as a churchman. The Enemy allows this disappointment to occur on the threshold of every human endeavour. It occurs when the boy who has been enchanted in the nursery by Stories from the Odyssey buckles down to really learning Greek. It occurs when lovers have got married and begin the real task of learning to live together. In every department of life it marks the transition from dreaming aspiration to laborious doing.

So there are always these peaks and valleys in enthusiasm for a good work, and that may just always be part of your experience of the job. You may just need to keep going and see if it's that sort of problem.

Another possibility, though, is that God is indicating that this kind of apostolate is not compatible with your personal vocation. That would be a much bigger problem!!!
  • One could easily lose enthusiasm if the musical aspirations in a parish are low. High goals and musical challenges will be enough to maintain your excitement alive. I don't know the specifics of your current post. However, if I did the minimum required at my current job I would be bored to death, I think. My priest allows me to expand improvisation and difficult repertoire, I am thankful for that!... Listen to Byrd, Tallis or Palestrina and imagine one day you will be able to bring those treasures alive to enhance the liturgy. Listen to the great works of Bach, Mendelssohn, Durufle, Dupre, etc and establish a goal, they make great preludes, postludes and offertories and a lifetime is not enough to work on their music.. Do not be discouraged, being an organist is a blessing to you and those around you, one could not ask for a more fulfilling job as a musician.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Charles' advice on Sing Like a Catholic is an excellent idea. Also, you could listen to the Colloquium lecture recordings online from the past few years... Or download them to your favorite mp3 player.
  • One of the most difficult aspects of being a church musician is being in a situation in which one wishes to share really fine music at a beautiful liturgy only to discover that there is little or no interest in beautiful liturgy and that all the people want is an 'organist' to play only the pathetic songs that they wish to hear (yet again).

What you could really profit from is relationships with other organists (and choirmasters) who can enrich your own musical knowledge and experience, and give you that all-important encouragement and personal friendship. Consider joining your local AGO chapter. Most chapters have special programs to fit the needs and aspirations of young organists like you, and can give direction and advice towards church music as a career (if that interests you). Too, you can benefit from your friends on this forum by becoming a regular participant.

Finally, don't allow yourself to be discouraged when going through a dry spell! The advice from Kathy is spot on and her quote from The Screwtape Letters most apt.
    (Incidentally, if you haven't read Screwtape, now would be a good time to do so.)

You have very noble intentions and, obviously, a love for what you are doing. Keep doing it. And Godspeed.

• Oh, dear mattmusic! How many times I took the organ bench only to want to run away after a mass and never return. I am the sole musician at my parish and do 4 masses every weekend, and have sat through endless repetitions of sermons, etc. I will admit, many times I often "travel to the ozone" and play automatically and without enthusiasm. But then I remember where I am and what I've been called to do and it all begins to take on the proper perspective.

Like the others have said, we all go through dryspells where our ministry becomes "a job", for after all, we are compensated and many of us are primary breadwinners in the family. But, I have to always remember that the music I play at each and every mass is new to the people in the pews and maybe somewhere in my distress and disheartenment, there is somebody who will be touched and brought closer to the Lord.

By the way, good work being in high school and working so hard. The Lord must have wonderful plans for you!
    Thanked by 2marajoy CHGiffen
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    M. Jackson Osborn writes: "Consider joining your local AGO chapter. Most chapters have special programs to fit the needs and aspirations of young organists like you, and can give direction and advice towards church music as a career (if that interests you)."

I cannot sufficiently stress what good advice this is for any organist, but perhaps above all for an organist who is young, conscientious, and intelligent, as you, Mattmusic, clearly are.

The curse of any church organist - and I suspect it is a curse particularly liable to afflict Catholic organists - is simple burnout. It sometimes seems that for every five minutes one spends on useful instrumental practice, one spends at least 25 minutes on such totally unnecessary tasks as nagging a dilatory choirmaster into providing clear repertoire instructions before Sunday morning, or sending out invoices to parish secretaries (who, when telephoned about their payment delays, are invariably "at meetings" and never at their desks), or fending off lay lunatics trying to tell you how to do your job.

Communing with like minds in an organ context is therefore essential. It becomes particularly essential if you are not yourself running a choir and therefore lack even the element of social interaction which choral rehearsals bring.
  • mattmusic
    Thank you everybody for your insight! I will look into the books everybody suggested getting and I will find out more about AGO- I know some things about it but I did not really know they had programs for young organists. The cantor at mass at my parish is actually the music director as well as an excellent organist- she trained me and helps a lot when ever I have problems. Between the convent and parish I work with OCP stuff and WLP stuff. I like the hymns, for many of them are the reason why I decided to learn how to play, but I also am well aware of the debates regarding the use of these rather than propers and chant, etc. Fortunately, I am not the one that has to plan the music. I think what was discouraging me the most when I started this thread was my lack of preludes, and the fact that I managed to mess up "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name", the hymn which everybody knows. But I have gotten over it!
  • These are all good suggestions. Please find an organ teacher that can lead you to music that you can use at Mass as well as to continue to grow as an organist. The Catholic church is the most unrewarding church to be an organist in for many reason. A lack of adequate pay, being ignored by the people as being nothing but being part of the building like a potted plant.

The comments you will hear are almost always from unhappy people who will take any chance they have to share their negative emotions and thoughts like a weed-hating neighbor spraying Roundup.

Your music director must care for and feed you with support and encouragement. If this does not happen, leave, find a protestant church where they will be thrilled to take you in, shelter you, pay you and make you ready someday to take on the often thankless position of playing the organ in a Catholic church.

This may be why so many famous French organists hold only titular positions.
  • lmassery
    I would also recommend "Sing like a Catholic" by Mr. Tucker. I would also ready Spirit of the Liturgy by pope Benedict
  • However, be careful, very careful to read and keep your brain engaged when talking about what you are reading. Insecurity reigns in catholic-music-hood. Alway refrain from ever referring to any church document with its latin name. Unless someone uses a latin name in your presence, then you may give the secret handshake and then speak in harmony, or polyphony....or just chant.
  • GavinGavin
    All I can think when I read the title of this post is that I've been at it 10 years... and could use some help.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, I have been at it for 50 years, and I still need help, too!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Gavin -
    I don't think we ever outgrow our need for help.
    We are all here to help each other:
    Isn't that Christian bedrock?
    No vocation is without its obstacles: they are, rather, the proof of the pudding!
    (And, you will find plenty of help in Houston.)
    (If you ever feel like you 'have arrived', you are either in heaven or are deluded.)