Today's Catholic Parent
  • I am very upset right now, so please excuse my using this board as a place to vent. In addition to directing the adult choir at my church, I also direct the children's choir. I have a small group of children, ages 8-10, who come together and sing for one of the early Sunday masses. Today I noticed that one of the more dedicated children was missing, but her mother sat with all the other mothers (yes, they all come together and sit in the third row to watch their children!). When I inquired of the mother as to why the child was not there she replied, "___________ didn't want to get up this morning, and it is, after all, summertime, so I let her stay home with her dad" (I don't know the father).

I just looked at her in total disbelief. How can we possibly teach our children to be dedicated choir members, when their parents are allowing them to be so lazy in their faith? How can they learn a sense of true worship and responsibility to ministry when their parents are allowing them to come and go at will? Unfortunately, saying the child is dismissed from the choir will only solicit problems, but I am at a loss as to how to handle this. Any suggestions?
  • Liam
    What's your attendance policy? And do all the children and their parents know it?
  • Every child and every parent signed a "rules and regulations" sheet prior to our first rehearsal. Unfortunately, we only have 10 singers, and they are not always there. Nobody takes music ministry seriously (not even the adult choir), and I have had continuous problems. It's been very discouraging. We've now turned to hiring outside cantors because my parish choir was not responsible enough to come to regular rehearsals.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Liam
    In light of this and other things you have posted about in recent months, it seems these volunteers are communicating to you, passive aggressively (the culture of Catholic parochial life is fertile ground for passive aggressive communication). And you are aware of that they are communicating something. Now you have to find out what the real substance of the communication is, and it may vary from person to person, albeit with similar symptoms. Doing that without personalizing things requires finesse. I suspect that it's not that all of these people are incapable of commitment.
  • chonakchonak
    Some directors ask the choir members to set the ground rules for attendance. Does anyone know if it helps?
  • I will admit, I do have some dedicated singers, but the majority have a mentality of "come when you want". Because the choir is so small (children--10, adults-12), it's impossible to get a great sound on a regular basis. I've offered free music classes (without compensation), and made myself available to anybody who needs extra help, but few people have bitten. The fact that I have to hire outside help to get through masses, is testimony to the fact that, while I have some decent voices, they are not willing to do what needs to be done. I gave the adult choir the summer off (different thread), and have only seen a few people in church going to mass at all. My comment was about the children, however. It really disturbs me that parents are instilling in their children the same mentality.....go to church when it suits you, and don't go to church when you don't want to go. The same goes for rehearsals. I've driven the 30 miles to get to church many times, only to have 3 kids out of 10 show up. And, that's with a signed commitment form. It's just a waste of paper. It's been very difficult to work with these kids, telling them the graces of being in ministry, only to have parents destroy it by letting the children themselves make their own decisions.

• CharlesW
    It is possible for a choir director who loves his work, to be a bit too intense for the congregation. It sounds like you and your congregation are not on the same page and need a meeting of the minds somewhere in the middle. When I took my job, I realized it would be at least 5 years before music would be where I thought it should be. You have to take a much longer view when resources are limited. As the mother pointed out, it is summertime, so work around it. Even God took a break once a week, so lightening up a bit during summer will have no lasting ill effects.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Liam
    And viewing the parents as destroying things is a bad place to start from; that perspective breeds distrust (and it's very very likely that people are picking up on this from you), and distrust breeds a feedback loop of impoverishment. Love cannot grow in the soil of distrust, and nothing of lasting good ministerially comes from that soil, either.
  • Steve QSteve Q
    Just to commiserate with you Mt56 - in my 6 years leading a children's group, I have never (that I know of) had a child prioritize a choir practice or performance over a sports event. I am constantly hit with excuses about baseball games, swimming practices, gymnastics events, etc. that conflict. Even more disturbing is that many of these events are scheduled on Sunday mornings - even in the Catholic leagues! *sigh*
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • gregpgregp
    This discussion raises a question I'd like to ask the people who were in Salt Lake last week - how does the Cathedral Choir School deal with these issues?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Yeah, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that if that parent's precious little child said, "I don't WANNA go to [dance, soccer, tennis, hockey, gymnastics], the parent would grab the kid by the ear and drag them kicking and screaming to practice. They pay boatloads of money for registration fees and equipment to participate in those activities, and that's the key. If there's a money value in it, that speaks to the parent. If there's no money committed, who cares?

I'll also wager that if that same parent pulled this stunt on the coach of the above-referenced team/activity, the coach would make it clear that the precious little child would be benched for the next game, and all the tantrums and threats favored by the spoiled-rotten brat adults typical of this kind of self-absorbed suburban environment wouldn't matter a hill of beans.

Unless, of course, the parent got pissed off and decided to file trumped-up, bogus sex abuse charges against the coach, then we're in a whole different territory.

These are the same parents, by the way, who are shocked (SHOCKED) to find that their precious little son or daughter is having sex, experimenting with drugs or alcohol, etc., and wonder who the hell is to blame. I blame Pastors of Souls as much as anyone for not getting behind those on their staff who seek to promote values such as honesty, integrity and commitment in their programs in the face of these exceedingly immature "adult" parents.

I put up with, and nearly suffered devastating consequences in dealing with, this passive-aggressive BS when I was in Minnesota, and I'm glad that I'm no longer working in a suburban parish like that, and that I came out of it pretty much unscathed. I can't say the same for some of my friends and colleagues.

Good luck to you in this, and Godspeed.

That's my rant on the topic.
  • David Andrew - I am very sympathetic with your views! In one situation I knew of, the boy and girl choristers were given a monetary scholarship paid monthly to their parents for their education. It was a significant amount of money and that parish was very wealthy. In another situation I knew of, every singer, adult and child, was required to pay a fee that covered the cost of running a music deparatment / program.

It was understood by everyone (child, adults, parents and families), and contracts were signed, only three (3) absences per season and NO MORE! No exceptions whatsoever. You were strictly made aware that joining the music program - that specific choir - was a REAL ministry to GOD, one another and the community at large.

Attendance records and pictures were made and kept on a regular basis for archives, aural recordings were made for decades, summer camps were attended, concerts and trips planned, dinners given and awards presented in front of large attendance. The music programs were run on a professional level - a serious level and thus serious commitment was expected and demanded!

Thus, the choirs were full and well maintained. At first they were small but things grew over the years. AND, every pastor was expected to support the music program and its policies regardless of the present, incoming or outgoing music director.

A Christian music ministry is THE most serious of ALL musical endeavors by Christian mankind regardless of whethere you are a small parish or large cathedral. Many are called but few are chosen. Wide is the gate that leds to destruction but narrow is the way unto salvation. The Bible has the answers to everything. No matter how we might not care for its prescriptions, we would all be better off if only we would follow it for the answers.

Oh, and lets not forget the parable about the "plow." If you can't recall that one, look it up. It too has the answer to many of our problems.
  • Intensity in our positions is a very subjective term based on the kind of congregations we have. In a very liberal, comfortable and lackadaisical congregation, sitting at the organ bench and asking not be disturbed during preludes is considered "intense". Unfortunately, the organ is out in full view, easily accessible to anyone, and has resulted in many singers and parents asking questions and talking to me during preludes. But, such is life, and yes, many are called and few are chosen, so I pray that the Holy Spirit gives me courage and fortitude to deal with everything.

But, my original post was not so much about the singer missing a mass as a member of the choir, but missing mass completely, while her mother came. The only excuse the mother could give was that the child "didn't want to come" and she allowed it. Summertime or not, Catholics should be attending mass and children shouldn't be given an option. But, that's just my humble, intense personality voicing an opinion.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds like a child missing mass is the least of your problems. Still a good idea, however, is to not try to change everything at once. I was in a situation a few years ago, where my best option at the time was to improve the hymns. For about a year, I worked on better hymns. Then I was able to move on to working with something else.
  • francis
    children's hymns?
  • CharlesW
    No children's hymns, but did move on to better mass settings after the hymns were in better shape. Had I changed both hymns and mass settings at once, there might have been a congregational revolt.
  • GavinGavin
    Said it before, I'll say it again:

Whenever someone cries out, "why aren't the young people coming to church??!" I respond, "because their parents aren't bringing them."

Usually the person complaining is herself a parent.