Oh, Canada...
  • Our official Canadian hymnal - Catholic Book of Worship II - includes our National Anthem.
    Canada Day happens to fall on a Sunday this year. (Tomorrow.)
    Are we supposed to sing this at some point, like before Mass?

Thoughts?
  • Paul_D
    It's only OK if it is sung ad orientem.
  • CBW III...!
    (Not II.) Sorry.

Details! It's all about the details!
  • What is "ad orientem"?

Google translates it as "to the east".

Yes, I use Google Translate.

(My resources are somewhat limited.)
  • Paul_D
    Forgive my poor attempt at liturgical humor. It was meant to a bit of levity in what seems to be a heavy debate on patriotic songs at Mass everytime the 4th of July comes around. I will be serious from now on. Mea culpa (X3).
  • BenBen
    Literally translated, it indeed means "to the east."

Liturgically speaking, it is referring to the days when churches were built facing eastward, ie the priest facing the same direction as the people during the Mass, like this.

If it sounds more familiar another way, opponents of this practice would often call it "the priest turning his back on the people".
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • gregpgregp
    I guess all the lucky people have been raptured into Utah, and those of us left behind are the only ones left to deal with these questions.

PurpleSquirrel, there are annual threads here debating the use of patriotic songs on days of national significance. Opinions generally fall into two categories: a) absolutely not- non liturgical songs have no place in the Mass, and b) before or after Mass, or for a recessional won't hurt anything and may save your job.

Not making any recommendation myself, you see; just summarizing for you.
  • Yes, but only if the Montreal Canadiens sing Be Not Afraid before their games.

Separation, church and state.
    Thanked by 2Ben PurpleSquirrel
  • Since Michigan is actually north of Canada--Detroit--maybe we should sing it on Sunday.
  • IanWIanW
    Canada's Queen is to its east :-)
  • IanWIanW
    ... and what you sing immediately after mass has ended is not a liturgical matter. the Bishops of England & Wales encouraged us to give thanks & pray for the Queen at this point a few weeks ago, and many of us took the opportunity to do so in song.
  • IanWIanW
    ... as for those of you (Noel) who raise concepts peculiar to your own (admirable) polity: Canada is a foreign country; they do things differently there.
  • It is a liturgical matter if you believe in are in God's house and have standards for what belongs and what does not.

Now, if they vacate the tabernacle, leave the doors hanging open and extinguish the Sanctuary candle and yell. "let's all skate!" then it's no longer a liturgical building.
  • Maureen
    The point is that some patriotic songs include prayers to the Lord, which makes them more liturgically suitable or at least not entirely secular. Others are more something to sing outside church, not because they're bad but because they're not about God or the saints or praying.

Now, it would seem that, either for convenience at parish activities or because it includes the prayer, "God keep our land glorious and free" and an eschatological fourth verse that is all prayer, this hymnal was allowed to include "O Canada."

However, the French version is much more overtly a hymn only to Canada, albeit a personified Canada which is some kind of fighting Christian saint.

Anyway, here's the eschatological verse, from Wikipedia, for all us ignorant Americans who have previously been told by Canadians that the Battle Hymn of the Republic and America the Beautiful are weird for having eschatological stuff in 'em:

Ruler supreme, Who hearest humble prayer,
    Hold our Dominion in Thy loving care;
    Help us to find, O God, in Thee
    A lasting, rich reward,
    As waiting for the better Day,
    We ever stand on guard.
  • PMulholland
    You could try O God of All the many Lands as a closing hymn CBWII 732??? Familiar tune for most with "Patriotic" like verses to Canada.

There is of course no obligation to sing anything other than the Mass itself. Propers and ordinaries. Hymns replacing propers, patriotic songs replacing propers....

• PMulholland
    As July 1st is the feast of the Precious Blood in the EF calendar, I programmed Adoro te devote this Sunday as a toast to our heritage.
    Not that I ever need an excuse...
  • Liam
    "We ever stand on guard"

That's just a reference against American invasion, right? It's only been 200 years.
  • CharlesW
    Yeah, you got to watch us Americans. We are lusting after your ice.
  • chonakchonak
    Anyway, happy Canada Day: at least the French version of the national anthem has a great Catholic sensibility!
  • Instead, we sang "Joseph, Be Our Guide and Pattern":

"Joseph, chosen as our patron
    In this country strong and free,
    Join with us and sing God's praises
    For the gifts of land and sea.
    Joseph, just and holy, guide us,
    Joseph, walk the way with us."

The tune is somewhat, er, festive. But everyone was in a festive mood, so it worked.

• And Paul..... NEVER stifle your sense of humour. It will only lead to insanity.
  • Maureen
    "We ever stand on guard" is presumably against a lot of people. Remember that the Victorian UK and Russia were not exactly best buddies in the Great Game. And France occasionally thought about it. Also, Canada was invaded by American/Irish Fenians a few times, which doesn't usually come up in US history books but was more an issue when the song was written.

And I hope nobody took my previous comments as disrespect for Canada or their anthem, because I think they are both pretty cool. Happy Canada Day!
  • PMulholland
    Really ice? Not maple syrup? I always thought Americans would invade for syrup but were afraid of our igloo forts...

• CharlesW
    No, ice is preferred. This is our 5th day of 100+ degree temperatures. I realize we are in the South, but this is too hot even for us.
  • GavinGavin
    Really? I just moved to the Houston area, and the temperature has been around 80 - 90 since I got here! Very nice!
  • CharlesW
    We are in the heat wave that has been around for about a week. It's moving to the east and should be gone by tomorrow - at least the 100+ degree temperatures. It will be in the mid-nineties for the rest of the week.