The English Catholic Hymn Book (W. Knott & Son, 1966 - 266 pages)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Anybody own this book?

The English Catholic Hymn Book (W. Knott & Son, 1966 - 266 pages)

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_English_Catholic_Hymn_Book.html?id=-8sxuwAACAAJ
  • Yes. It' Anglican, not Roman Catholic. No music, text only. Contains items not in the English Hymnal. Several items from both editions of the Westminister Hymnal. Good for what it was suited (nose-bleed high Anglo-Catholic shrine churches). Presumably everything in it is public domain, as no edition has ever included any copyright notices for any of the texts. Rob, Portland, Oregon
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Good for what it was suited (nose-bleed high Anglo-Catholic shrine churches)

So you're saying it was awesome, then?
    Thanked by 2IanW ServiamScores
  • PLTT
    Bumping this thread, since I'm looking for a couple of pieces from this book, if anyone still has a copy.....

P.S. it would be great if (assuming it is not in copyright), it could be scanned and made available online!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Liam
    While the content is not copyrighted, the engraving may still be, as it were.
  • ServiamScores
    Considering the copyright is 1966, it certainly would be. But there are plenty of cases where books are under copyright but scans are to be found. Archive.org has a boatload of stuff.

But are people taking old scans of hymnals and printing them in worship aids? I always re-engrave everything to make it clean and so each musical excerpt matches. Perhaps that's just me.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The UK protects layout due to lobbying by music engravers but there is no such provision in US copyright law (I also note the 2nd post says "text only").
  • ServiamScores
    You could recreate the layout of another, but the original I,age would still be copyrighted, so you’d definitely have to recreate it from scratch.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A summary of US law is at IMSLP. An 'image' doesn't seem to meet the 'threshold of originality' of 17 U.S.C. § 103(b.
  • PLTT
    So back to my question.....does anyone still have a copy of this book? I'm looking for a couple of items from it.
  • Yes, I have a copy. As I wrote above 9 years ago, it is text only. Let me know which hymn texts you . want