Chant Camp- help me find a canon, please
  • Starting June 25 (5 days away!) we'll have 70 youngsters immersing themselves in chant for a week-long diocese-wide camp. At the end of the week all of the various groups will come together and sing a Solemn Mass for the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul.

The music lineup is nearly complete... but I would like to ask your help with a prelude piece. I am looking for an uptempo two voice canon in English (pref.) or Latin. I'm a little tired of the usual canons I use, and I think the kids are, too.

Ideas?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    "A Jubilant Song" is a two-part canon-style piece by Mary Lynn Lightfoot. It uses both English and Latin text and has always been popular with the treble choirs I've worked with.
  • David, good choice, but I'm hoping to use something in the public domain. I should have said that.
  • magistra6
    We've taught our children's choir the Jubilate Deo by Praetorius.
    What a wonderful experience for the children to spend a week learning chant! May God bless your work!
  • MACW, I know you specified two parts, but the Boyce canonic Alleluia should be accessible to kids under YOUR direction, IMHO. And since David brought up ML Lightfoot, Natalie Sleeth's 3part canon Alleluia would fall into the same category.
    There is also a very lovely ACCOMPANIED Byrd "Non nobis...." out there, but not in PD I believe. So you'd have to, ahem, purchase one copy.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MaryAnn ...

I just posted, in another thread here, my 2-part Ave Maria setting, which is written almost completely as a canon (at the unison for the first half, then at the lowered fourth, and finally a non-strict canon by inversion to conclude). Not sure if it's what you might be looking for, but it is quite singable.

Chuck
  • Hi Magistra,
    Do by any chance have a pdf of the Praetorius?
    Charleses, good suggestions... I will be looking at Giffen's Ave Maria and Sleeth's Alleluia.
  • francis
    Just read this:

Sorry it's right on the heels of your event. Works great as two, three, four or five part round and it is a fantastic text. Can be performed with or without the bass ostinato.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/398/crux-sancti-patris-benedicti-5-part-canon-wostinato#Item_1
    Thanked by 1Felicity