Pieces on YouTube!!!
  • music123
    Hello CMAA-ers,

Some of you may remember that I had a motet, a setting of the Anima Christi prayer, sung at the 2009 Colloquium. Well, five years after it was originally composed, I had the thrilling experience of getting to sing it with the choir of St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church, one of the best choirs in the Louisville area, when they sang it for the Offertory for Corpus Christi Mass. I made an audio recording of this, and have turned it into a video that is posted on YouTube here:

http://youtu.be/n7tbkfYrv1c

I also recently composed a new piece in a different style, which is a setting of the "Nada te turbe" prayer of St. Teresa of Avila in Spanish. This is a bit more accessible and was sung the same weekend by my own church choir. There is a YouTube recording of this here:

http://youtu.be/HhYyZhek1xs

I have also written a setting of the Magnificat text in English which I will post as soon as I have a good recording, probably in the fall.

Please let me know what you all think. I have discovered that I really love composing and have felt especially drawn to do this since I became a Catholic. At some point I want to start submitting pieces to publishers. I would welcome any advice as far as how to proceed as a composer. I don't write these pieces for them to sit in a drawer, after all!!

Thank you, and God bless,

Julianna Horton

• JennyJenny
    Thank you, Julianna. I have been hoping to find some dignified music in Spanish that I could offer to the leader of our Spanish choir. Are you selling copies of these pieces?
  • music123
    Jenny,

Can I get back with you in the next few weeks? I would love to have people sing my pieces, but I'm not sure right now if I'm going to be trying to get them published or what.

Thanks!

Julianna
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Julianna,

These are very nice indeed, and they shouldn't lie hidden in some drawer unsung. I would love to see these and other works of yours. Also, feel free to contact me if you want to talk about publishing possibilities.

Chuck Giffen