Alternative compensation/Student loans
  • Cantate
    So like many younger professionals, I find myself saddled with student loan debt that is making life incredibly difficult. I came from a middle class family and went to a private school for undergraduate and graduate school. The only aid I could get was my talent scholarship for undergraduate. Because of that, I sit with $85,000 in student loan debt, and minimum payments of around $700 per month that will end in me paying them off about 10 years before I want to retire (these are private loans...so unfortunately, federal assistance isn't an option). As you can imagine, this is not a situation I want, so as I begin seeking a new position for various reasons, I'm curious if parishes would ever consider alternative forms of compensation for their music directors. I'd be particularly interested in what priests and/or pastors would think of something like this...if anyone would ever accept it, or if (arch)diocesan policies would ever allow it.

I've calculated that, in most metro areas, I need to make at least $40,000/year to survive. What I would love to do is agree to a minimum 8 years at a parish. The first year I would make the full 40K. If things didn't work out, we'd part ways. If they did, the parish would pay off those student loans and drop my annual pay to $30,000. For me, this would free me from the tyranny of student loans by basically paying it off in labor without worrying about interest. The parish would have at least 8 years of continuity (something quite rare these days) and a lower monthly operating cost. To me it seems like a win/win.

Does anyone think this would ever fly? I'm meeting with a priest in a month or so to talk about a possible position. I thought about bringing something like this up. I'm just looking for any options I can find to get out from underneath these student loans. So suggestions would be very welcome!
  • marajoymarajoy
    The first reason that pops into my mind why this wouldn't work, is b/c Catholic churches get new pastors pretty regularly, and almost as regularly does a new pastor bring a complete "regime" change. I don't think a priest would want to force his successor to keep a particular music director for up to 7 years.
  • Catholic churches rarely, if ever, will enter into a contract, so this, unfortunately, would not work. And even a protestant church would be hard put to do this, as most of those jobs are now part time. And, it would bind them and you to a contract for 7 years....

However, it is an example of great creative thinking and you should keep this attitude. I have a cellist friend who joined the Marine Band just for this reason....maybe a guaranteed enlistment that would help pay off the loans with the added benefit of the GI Bill then to pay for your master and doctorate....?