Vernacular Hymns permitted at Low Mass in 1962 Missal?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The Sacred Congregation for Rites published an Instruction entitled "De musica sacra et sacra liturgia," on September 3, 1958.

Regarding music at Low Mass, the instruction states:

"At low Mass the faithful who participate directly in the liturgical ceremonies with the celebrant by reciting aloud the parts of the Mass which belong to them must, along with the priest and his server, use Latin exclusively. But if, in addition to this direct participation in the liturgy, the faithful wish to add some prayers or popular hymns, according to local custom, these may be recited or sung in the vernacular."

In other words, the "four-hymn sandwich," was permitted in 1958 at Low Mass.

I share this information because I had somehow missed it in the past.

COMPLETE QUOTE:

14. a) In sung Masses only Latin is to be used. This applies not only to the celebrant, and his ministers, but also to the choir or congregation.

"However, popular vernacular hymns may be sung at the solemn Eucharistic Sacrifice (sung Masses), after the liturgical texts have been sung in Latin, in those places where such a centenary or immemorial custom has obtained. Local ordinaries may permit the continuation of this custom 'if they judge that it cannot prudently be discontinued because of the circumstances of the locality or the people' (cf. canon 5)" (Musicæ sacræ disciplina: AAS 48 [1956] 16-17).

b) At low Mass the faithful who participate directly in the liturgical ceremonies with the celebrant by reciting aloud the parts of the Mass which belong to them must, along with the priest and his server, use Latin exclusively.

But if, in addition to this direct participation in the liturgy, the faithful wish to add some prayers or popular hymns, according to local custom, these may be recited or sung in the vernacular.

http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html
  • WGS
    The point is that if you are experiencing an exclusive singing of four hymns at a Mass, that practice is based on a 54 year old pre-Vatican II formula intended for use with the traditional Latin Mass.
  • DougS
    You should actually look at the footnote provided as well, because there is more information about the practice in Musicae sacrae disciplina.
  • Vernacular hymns at low Mass were widely permitted well before 1962. R.R.Terry in Music of the Roman Rite (1931) references a Decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites from 1896:

3880. (Bisarchio, Sardinia.) Again the question as to whether hymns in the vernacular, in honour of the feast or mystery of the day, are to be permitted during Mass. In low Mass, yes, with permission of the Bishop. In the high or sung Mass, no. 31st January, 1896. (R. Terry, p. 199)
  • I've sometimes wondered whether we could attract more Latinos to TLMs at Epiphany they were allowed to sing (appropriate) Spanish hymns. Where I live, McDonalds has Dia de los Reyes events but the Catholic churches are empty. I feel bad for Latino immigrants because they can't celebrate this day with O.F. masses that day, but they could have TLM's.