Churches in Knoxville, TN
  • I am planning on making a trip to Knoxville, TN later this summer and wanted to know if there are any recommendations for a good church to hit up while I am in the area...or any church between Knoxville and Cincinnati. It's a rare occasion for me to have the entire weekend off since I am a DM at a church, so I want to make it count. Thanks!
  • CharlesW
    I am DM and organist at Holy Ghost Catholic Church - a beautiful Gothic structure built in 1926 with stunning Austrian stained glass windows. There is an older church downtown. The cathedral is not pretty, but looks like the 1950s era construction it is. A new church in Farragut to the west, is Romanesque and quite beautiful. At Holy Ghost, we have Sunday morning OF masses at 7:00 a.m., 8:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m. (the choir mass), and 11:30 a.m. I am present for those. There is an EF Latin mass at 1:30 p.m. Stay away from the 6:00 p.m. since it is the folk guitar type mass. For more information on the churches in Knoxville, Google the Diocese of Knoxville website.
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Just returned from Myrtle Beach, stopped overnight in Knoxville, and the family attended Holy Ghost parish on (6/10) for the 11:30 Mass, wish we could have made the 10:00 looked like the choir sung at that Mass. Chant Ordinary and appropriate hymns. To be honest I picked the church because it had a EF form Mass, and knew things would not be to out of control. I enjoyed Mons. Mankel homily, especially since he mentioned the sequences still available in the OF.

I would recommend it, verses Immaculate Conception which we visited last year.

• CharlesW
    Thanks for the kind words. Until September, we are at our weakest and are the most understaffed. Unfortunately, summer is when we receive most of our visitors. Some Sundays, I am grateful for anyone who shows up and that it wasn't a disaster.
  • I'm convinced that I'll be seeking out Holy Ghost Church. I will have my three young one and wife with me, so hopefully the kids will be good. I know how the summer months are...I don't even have a choir during the summer. I only schedule them labor day through Corpus Christi.
  • CharlesW
    If you visit one of the four morning masses, come upstairs afterward and introduce yourself. It will be good to meet you.
  • I will absolutely do that. We are planning on being in Knoxville Labor Day weekend for a family reunion.