Ideas for parish summer music classes (to improve congregational singing pt. II)
  • miacoyne
    In a parish bulletin (a whole separate page)

♪Music Ministry News ♪♪♪

Attention Music Lovers: Free Private Voice Lessons at St. Jane

Free Voice lessons are offered to all the adult parishioners and children age 10 and above on Wednesdays from July 11th to August 22nd. at St. Jane. (Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian) Each lesson is half an hour between 3 PM to 6 PM on Wednesdays. Through healthy vocal exercises and sharpening your basic music skills, you can double the joy of praising God with your singing. Bring your favorite hymns also, if you like. Sign up in the choir loft after Mass (up to 3 lessons per parish member and up to 5 lessons per choir member.)
    For more info, contact_______

Want to learn Something Cool During Summer?
    How about learn to read music? This class is given to all the adult parishioners at St. Jane for free by the new music director. Whether you want to play an instrument, or sing, being able to read notes will enhance your appreciation of music. The class will focus on reading notes from modern staff notation through exercises on solfege and rhythm while learning pitch names, intervals, keys and etc. Materials will be provided. The class is held on Wednesdays from 6:00 PM to 7 PM starting July 11th thru August 22nd. (7 weeks)
    If you are interested, contact ___________

New! Funeral Choir
    Would you like to be a part of a special group that prays in singing for the departed souls in our parish? Join our new Funeral choir.
    Rehearsals on Wednesdays from 7:15 PM to 8:30 PM starting July 11th thru August 22nd. We will learn to sing Simple English Propers, Responsorial Psalms, and Hymns as well as Ordinary parts of the Mass during summer (and the extra rehearsal as needed before the funeral). If you are interested, contact ______

Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • miacoyne
    Also this,

Beginning Chant Classes

Join Gregorian chant class this summer, the authentic liturgical music and treasure of Catholic tradition as the Holy Mother Church proclaims.
    Two beginning chant classes will be offered on Mondays at OLPH parish (musicroom) and Tuesdays at the church of Resurrection (chapel). Both classes are from 7 PM to 8 PM starting July 9 through August 20 for 7 weeks. (July 10 through August 21 for Tuesday class) We will study the text and the melody of Gregorian chant, and how they fit together to be prayed in singing in the sacred liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church. Contact _________ for more info.

“It is the duty of all those to whom Christ the
    Lord has entrusted the task of guarding and
    dispensing the Church’s riches to preserve
    this precious treasure of Gregorian chant
    diligently and to impart it generously to the
    Christian people. In the performance of the
    sacred liturgical rites this same Gregorian
    chant should be most widely used and
    great care should be taken that it should be
    performed properly, worthily and reverently.”

—Pope Pius XII
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Just wondering what the response was to the original post? I offered the same kind of classes to my parish and only have 8 people. It's the old adage, "you can lead the horse to water, but.......". It's been very disappointing. These classes are FREE!! I do them as a group, however, rather than privately.
  • We're offering the same sort of summer courses as Mia, MT56. I'd be ecstatic with 8 students!
  • Carl DCarl D
    When I did this, I found it was critical to give personal 1-1 invitations to a lot of people. "I think you'd really enjoy this." Few even read the bulletin, much less treat it as a personal calling.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • I agree, Carl, and have pretty much given up on trying to get any response from bulletin advertisements for anything. The personal one on one sometimes works, but not always. I just have to laugh because people complain they don't get opportunity, and then even when it's offered for FREE, they still don't take advantage. We can only do so much.
  • GavinGavin
    "Only" 8 people... Musicteacher, that means you'll have 8 people in your congregation singing loudly and enthusiastically! And 8 people willing to invest time, talent, and treasure in your musical endeavors. And 8 people willing to back you up in church politics. Probably 8 more than before...

I wish I had 8 people. (actually, my church is extremely supportive, but you get my point.....)
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • GavinGavin
    It strikes me, thinking about it... the most important part about this is that you are gaining visibility for yourself. People meet you, find out you aren't a weirdo who lives in the attic, and begin to like you and support your work.

I hate to say it, but our biggest enemy is the choir loft. When I was in a loft, no one knew me, or cared about the music. Now I'm in an Anglican layout, up front, and very visible. Everyone loves me, and loves the music. I really think it's a matter of putting a face with the music.

I suspect there's a sizable number of Catholics who think the organ plays itself.
  • I have to laugh, Gavin, because I'm up front and personal and don't like it that way. It's very difficult to concentrate on the music when you're less than 8 feet away from the pews and people interrupt you by tapping on your shoulders during preludes and postludes. Also, I think being too up front and personal gives music too much of an entertainment value. I don't care so much about being loved as I care about the music reflecting the sacredness of the Eucharist. I'd much rather be in an obscure loft where the music seems ethereal and floating. But, I do see your point in being out in the open and, therefore, not so emotionally "distant" from the people.
  • RobertRobert
    Musicteacher56 wrote:

I offered the same kind of classes to my parish and only have 8 people. It's the old adage, "you can lead the horse to water, but.......". It's been very disappointing. These classes are FREE!!

You may get a better response by charging a nominal fee: people may make assumptions about the value of something given away for free, and conclude it's not worth their time. Better yet, you could offer the lessons to the general public at the going market rate, but offer a "special reduced rate" for parishioners.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • I agree, Robert; however, I would suggest to anybody to at least come to one of the classes and decide for yourself if it's "worth their time". I'm sure they would feel it is. The people who have come (we've had 5 classes to date) are already beginning to sightsing and understand basic theory at this point. And, these are people with no prior music education. But, I appreciate your input. Thanks.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • May I borrow this idea? I think it is wonderful.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I tried the "group music-reading" class one summer, and got about 8 people..all of them my current choir members!
    Then I also tried the "free private voice lessons" one, and got about 5 people. A couple of them ended up joining the choir.
    So I think 8 is great!
  • The bottom line is that all we can do as directors is to offer whatever we need in order to provide the parish with the best music possible. We cannot force people to sing or take lessons, no matter how "free" they may be. It it doesn't come from within the singer him(her)self to take advantage of what's offered, they we can only go with what we've got. It's very frustrating, but true.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks for all the suggestions. If I survive this year, I'll do them again next year :-)
    A good news is that the pastor is interested in taking a couple of classes himself!!

@CindyCecilia you may borrow any ideas from here. They are copyright free :-) We are here to share and help each other.

• If anybody is interested in how I am conducting these classes, or want lessons plans, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I'm about to start this in the parish in which I've just been hired, so, I'd love the lesson plans and any other information musicteacher56. THANKS.
  • Claire H
    MT56, I'd be very interested in seeing your lesson plans and whatever else you can share from this program! :)
  • kevinfkevinf
    I have been doing this for a couple of years now (in fact tonight is my first one of the summer,always exciting.)
    I run it in the bulletin, go to any meeting that will let me in the door to do my little talk, advertise in the school go-home sheet and word of mouth.

I have 20 people signed up and probably will have a few more late-comers. The key; have fun, do not try for perfection and have a few points each time to work on. My sessions last for 45 minutes and I make an absolute fool of myself, to the great laughter of all. But it helps to break down barriers and encourages people to try and sing, which is the goal. Do I get choir members: sometimes, more often than not. But the real goal is to have people understand about singing as a normal, natural task. The unspoken goal is to create good relationships with more parishioners, who become invested in your work.

I realize this takes courage, but it is the "little" work that makes a difference.
    .02 from Bourbon country.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • In the fall, re-announce the funeral choir with a daytime rehearsal....at the common time for funerals....this might help get more people out who do not like going out at night!

And that group would especially benefit by having lunch together afterwards. For a lot of older people, having a reason to get out and do something in a group where they can sing and then eat together and interact helps keep them alive.

Of course, I can see their faces when you pass the Kimchee.

You are acting very positive and encouraging, you should do very, very well!

Thanked by 1miacoyne