Why has the Catholic church placed being an organist above being a trained vocalist?
  • Skatsing
    Didn't the church begin with unaccompanied chant? What has happened that I see the music directors wishing to improve congregational singing by eliminating trained singers from leading? Why is it vocalists are not seen as the best interface for leading song? Many organists are not very good singers themselves and many who can hold a tune aren't trained to sing yet they consider themselves (and the church goes right along with it) the authority on vocal music...at least many posts on this website sound as if they want to eliminate any vocal leadership at all.
  • GavinGavin
    A vocalist cannot "lead" song - it cannot be done! The organ is loud enough and clear enough to lead congregational song (at least in the protestant "chorale" style). As for unaccompanied song, there is no leading to be done. Just pick a key and away you go!

As for why organists more often hold leadership positions on church staff, I propose it's because we're usually better trained. Your typical organist is trained in organ repertoire, hymnody, sacred music history, choral singing/conducting, and often voice and improvisation/composing. I myself studied voice as a secondary instrument. Your average vocalist is much better trained at his instrument, but lacks the rounded education of the typical organist.

Note that this is broad generalization and does not apply to everyone. There's many bad organists, and many broadly competent vocalists.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think most churches are looking for a "packaged" deal - singer, organist, choir director, music director, custodian and secretary all in one human being.

Real magic happens when a music program has multiple people to focus on multiple tasks: A music director, organist(s), a secretary for the program, perhaps other choir directors if there are multiple choirs, etc...

Though magic can just happen with one talented leader, usually a team (with one person steering that team) is best.
  • francis
    if a church was employing mostly the chant repertoire, it would be a no brainer to have an educated conductor of chant but unfortunately most churches sing hymns and guitar/piano music as we have for the most part abandoned our musical tradition. very sad, but it is the present state of affairs.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • francis
    organ is a relatively new innovation in the liturgy and once it was accepted into the church sadly other kinds of tensions concerning sacred music made things gray including theatrical styles and 'symphonic' based composition. opera reaked havoc on the liturgy and the church has been strangled with the battle ever since. mozart and his ilk in my mind are among those who truly cloud the purity of sacred music. Liszt and Franck too. Now its a huge tangled mess and the Church is going to have to go back to the basics of chant and polyphony. as an organist i have mixed feelings about the organ dominating the liturgy. i believe the church should mostly be employing vocal based music, specifically gregorian chant and polyphony.
  • Adam Schwend
    Another broad assumption, but I think it has to do with the abandonment of the propers.

Obviously, an organist is necessary for the decent execution of hymn singing. A reasonable cantor can often be found in most congregations, so in-depth training is often not done. The cantor isn't there to be a soloist, so often a strong singer with a solo voice is more of a distraction than a virtue. If I absolutely must use a cantor, I'd rather use a volunteer from my choir with a pleasant voice. Since the "hymn sandwich" is the fare of the day of most parishes, of course an organist is absolutely vital. I do, however, join you in lamenting the current state that makes it that so many parishes that have even good music program have organ-based programs.

At my principle Sunday Mass, the Introit, Offertory, and Communion are chanted from the Graduale Romanum (At the earlier Mass, where a girlchoir sings, they do the same from the Simple English Propers). A motet, almost always a cappella, is sung after the Communion. On days where incense is used or no motets are sung (Summer time), a hymn may be added after any of these. However, on most Sundays, the organ is played during the prelude, postlude, any necessary interludes, the Responsorial Psalm and Alleluia, and a closing hymn. One does not need to be an organ scholar to play hymns and accompany a psalm and alleluia. However, one SHOULD have a fundamental knowledge of plainsong, repertoire, and liturgy. THAT is where I would love to see the emphasis shift.

Practically, however, a DM should also be an organist...at least a functional one (and that's about where I put myself....functional). With that said, it saddens me when I see my colleagues who could do wonderful things get turned down for jobs simply because they aren't the best organists. I would much rather have a chant/choral scholar who can play hymns and do simple improvisations than an organist who can play Vierne organ symphonies but has no concept of plainsong performance practice and the history thereof, or of polyphonic repertoire.

But, then, of course, there are those special souls who can do both very, very well....and God bless them...but I think they are more rare than some parishes care to admit...
  • francis
    adam

right on
  • No offense to Skatsing (I hold Kurt Elling to be the most incredibly gifted jazz/scat singer of all time), but I think the premise of the thread is erroneous and implausible to discuss coherently. Talk away at will, to what end I haven't the slightest clue.
    And our propensity to debate via absolutism is seldom beneficial to the common wisdom. YMMV.
  • I second matthew j's post.
    Many parishes think they can afford one musician, so they opt for what I call the dream of the 'unimusician'. In Protestant groups with no expectation of liturgical music, that can work.
    But scholas and more intricate chant were born with singers at the helm.

If a program is to have chant, polyphony, and hymnody, Matthew is right- a team of musicians works best.

Scatsing, I understand your frustration with organists who think they can sing and lead singers. As long as trained singers go unhired, acapella music will not advance to what it was in Josquin's day... I also think organ is a legitimate, beautiful instrument, and those who play it well can add to the beauty of the sacred liturgy.

Where tensions exist, I propose it is because parishes in general are not willing to pay more than one musician and organists have edged out singers due to competition. The training and musicianship of singers is denigrated by many organists, partly, I suppose, to account for the. dominance of organist DMs... This is to be
    expected, unhealthy as it is.

Contrary to my dear friend's opinion, I see merit in this thread. Stereotypes aside, I think it's high time to discuss why trained singers are not given due credit and a central role in leadership.

If we truly want good acapella singing in the parishes, it only makes sense that singers are hired (alongside organists).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Dear Gavin said, "A vocalist cannot "lead" song - it cannot be done".
    This is patently false. Singers have lead processions and hymns without organ for centuries, and before organ was accepted in the Church.

Personally, I prefer vernacular hymnody with organ accompaniment. Hymns are often improved this way.

Still, saying a singer *cannot* lead a group in singing goes against the historical and current reality. I find it a very hard not to interpret such a statement as dismissive, even ignorant, of trained singers.
  • MACW, I don't think there's a lack of merit to the discussion, and I too agree with MJM, and that's how we actually function up north of you.
    But, otoh, if the "trained singer" self-accompanies with a guitar or piano, the whole equation changes.
    I suppose if we had empirical stats from job postings, organist will be the first or second criterion over that of "vocal degree" or NATS' accredidation. But I suspect the reality of our quagmire is centered around Noel's righteously indignant example of the Director of Music who couldn't identify a middle C on a staff or keyboard, but is convinced s/he is possessed of the legacy of Caruso or Sutherland.
  • CharlesW
    Organ is relatively new innovation? What planet do you folks live on? It's been used for a thousand years with church encouragement and approval. Yes, we could all go back to unaccompanied singing using only music from before the 15th century, and watch as the congregation leaves to go elsewhere.

The much discussed purity of sacred music is an imaginary beast, with 21st-century musicians proposing what they think that music actually sounded like. Unfortunately there are few, if any, scores or texts to back any of that conjecture up. Especially so with the very early music. Sacred music worthy of the liturgy has been written in every age, including our own. It is not all chant and polyphony, thankfully. I love that music, but it too can be tedious if done to the exclusion of all else.

Cantors can help lead singing. My experience with them is that they are sometimes divas who want to perform. When I get ones who actually want to do what cantors are supposed to do, I hold on to them and treat them like the treasures they are.

I don't see Mozart and symphonic music as the problem. The problem is that the secular world has always intruded on the church, with much assistance from people and clergy. Add to that the problem that Catholic churches are cheap, cheap, cheap. Most don't want to pay for adequate staff and are looking for one person to do it all, usually at a not-so-great salary.
  • Liam
    Hymns, if chosen well, can be lead by voice, a capella. Just witnessed that being done in a large parish in my area the first weekend of this month, at 8AM in the morning. Congregation joined in fully. Not a problem. In fact, I would venture that if you choose hymnody that can be sung well without accompaniment, you will sift out many weaker hymns.
  • GavinGavin
    "Singers have lead processions and hymns without organ for centuries, and before organ was accepted in the Church."

MCW, what exactly do you mean by "lead"? At my church, we chant the preface dialog every single week. I'm not aware that anyone leads it. The congregation just sings. I suppose the choir is made up of people slightly more trained in good technique, and so they exercise what could be called a "leadership" role, but I don't know if that's the same as playing a hymn on organ. When there's a hymn I want to sing a capella (chorale style or chant), I do conduct to keep the choir in strict time to prevent the congregation from dragging. Perhaps I might call this "leading", but they're able to "lead" so far as they are loud enough to be heard by the congregation - the same can NOT be said of many solo voices. And if it is necessary to amplify a singer for them to lead, then I submit that my premise has been proven: a solo voice cannot lead.

Again, define your terms. Who leads when we sing "happy birthday to you"?

And another thing: this qualifier of a "trained" vocalist keeps getting thrown about. How many vocalists are trained in leading congregational song? Which teachers offer that?

I'm not denigrating vocalists. I am a vocalist. Vocalists, as cantor, soloist, conductor, and chorister, are ESSENTIAL to Christian worship. But I won't have it said that a solo voice can "lead" in the same sense as an organ can. I lead congregational song by setting and maintaining the tempo, pitch, and affect, all in a way that is audible and true to the text. That's what I call leading, and I simply don't think a vocalist can do that.
  • GavinGavin
    "Yes, we could all go back to unaccompanied singing using only music from before the 15th century, and watch as the congregation leaves to go elsewhere."

I hope this is taken light-heartedly as I intend it, but I get a kick out of reading this from an Eastern-rite Christian!
  • Skatsing
    I am happy to see the discussion is considered useful by many. I find the negative attitude towards singers to the point of feeling their role isn't worth discussion very sad.
    It shows a very strong condescension. Singers are paid quite poorly in contrast to instrumentalists. The idea that one is "just born" with a voice and so only needs to show up and sing is widespread in America; it seems to account for many problems--including a good deal of shout singing and bellowing and pushing the voice down like Cher. ( Is that why a D is now considered too high a note to sing?}

I realize because of my name choice you suppose I am a jazz singer. Actually this is a contraction on skating and singing. My training is in classical singing--those Franck and Mozart pieces some one here so hates would be my bailiwick and the many years of learning the Catholic hymnal repetoire of the OCP publications. The many singers complained of by Charles who are possessed of that so-called "wondervoice" ( or only think they are) with no training are as much a nuisance to trained singers as to trained musicians. Once you can read music, it is infuriating to see a whole choir have to sing the wrong rhythm because the organist's wife with the "wondervoice," and who doesn't read music, and is as loud as a Valkyrie, can't sing it any other way.

But singers are not the only ones! A parish administrator tried to hire me to expand the repertoire of a music leader (guitar/vocal) who played Amazing Grace almost every other week because he played by ear and had a very limited repertoire. This man was convinced that anyone who had to read music was sadly lacking in talent and the notes were "only a guide". The parish had other ideas where they wanted money spent so that fell through.

The idea that loud playing is necessary for leading singing--and with some organists to the point where an entire choir cannot be heard over it--is laudable, but that vocalists who "dominate" are not helping the congregation to sing strikes me as inconsistent--especially when priests who can sing are fine with dominating vocally and it sure works when they do it and drown out both the choir and the organ with their throat mics on. Some one here said the attitude of the priest was key--or was that another thread? It seems to be another big part of the puzzle.

I hear that Protestant churches do hire multiple people and the organists are accompanists, not leaders, and are under the direction of the choir master--a vocalist.
    Is that true? The all around person Matthew J says they want in the Catholic parishes is part of the problem. The parish will say they have no funds for getting multiple persons but will pony up for other things without blinking an eye in spite of having no funds.
    People will blame the music for all sorts of things but without respect for the musically trained, nothing will change I think. It hinges on factors other than experience, talent and training otherwise.

I still wonder how the attitude that the organ is all-important came about. Maybe the importance is based on the huge expense of acquiring a good instrument?

Thank you for the replies to this thread. Hearing a cross section of attitudes helps me see just where the status of music in the church is going.
  • One singer cannot support and guide the singing of a medium to large congregation.

That's one reason why Notre Dame and many French churches have two organs, one down front for the choir and a large one in the back.

It has nothing to do with being "loud" but rather in establishing and maintaining a rhythmic pattern, even if it is only 2's and 3's of chant.

The organ is essentially a non-rhythmic instrument and organists are trained to take the beast and force rhythmic patterns out of it using keyboard techniques that are simple and easy and common to it and the harpsichord.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • CharlesW
    As an Eastern Christian, I fully understand the culture differences between east and west. I work for the Latins, and try to do the best possible job I can for them in their context. I have no intent or desire to convert them to the east. Latins, you got to love them, even though killing them at times is an entertaining thought. LOL.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Skatsing, I think you've gotten some good answers that I would agree mostly with, but I'll add, in my personal experience, it has always seemed that the more "trained" a cantor was, then the more "operatic" and less conducive to leading congregational singing they are. Nobody wants to sing with an opera singer/soloist.

Plus, where does one go to be trained in vocal/choral church music?
    "Vocal performance" majors are mainly taught how to be soloists- hardly helpful in a Catholic Church situation, except for a few cantor parts, and even then, I think that the "ultra-professional-sounding" singing style which is utilized more and more the more "trained" a singer is, is less than conducive to even solo cantor singing in a church setting.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 Gavin
  • Sorry 'bout the jazz misnomer association, SkSing.
    To reiterate, I'm not "negative" (and didn't assume you lumped me into that bin) about the topic. I'm wary of trying to, as I said, fashion absolutes and make global conclusions from specific lived experiences, premises that can't be factually verified, and a vast ocean of different situations and perspectives that is quite full of some troublesome flotsam.
    I'm not trying to be dismissive or censor. It's just that given the nature of the topic as presented I can simultaneously say "I agree with all of you" and "I disagree with all of you."
    The one thing I think we should strive for: a unified front of informed and capable musical leaders who will advance the cause of fit and proper worship music that is "sacred, beautiful and universal." We won't do that as efficiently if we're constantly distracted by our own internal struggles and penchant for picking nits.
    Thank you for adding your voice to the cause.
  • Skatsing
    Singers trained classically rarely do opera when trained to be teachers. It's mostly art songs and folk songs. Opera singers can do other idioms besides opera and if they really try manage to shape their voice to sound idiomatically compatible.
    I thank Charles because we are all on the same side if we respect each other's need for creative input. Nobody wants to be bullied and we all have ignorance, lassitude, tight purse strings and committees to deal with. We need to have more say so on the choice of music and not be overwhelmed by liturgical committees.
    Thanks Liam. I agree fully. Choose the music well and every body sings--unless they are scared by overbearing personnel who make them afraid to make a mistake.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    Two qualifiers:

1) I am a trained organist.
    2) I am a trained singer.

Thank you Charles in CC. I am sorry for those who see the organ versus singer question as an adversarial one.

I remember being in music school and hearing the call for "singers and musicians." As I recall, the singers did not like that very much.

I remind all of Musicam Sacram:
    62."The pipe organ is to be held in high esteem in the Latin Church, since it is its traditional instrument, the sound of which can add a wonderful splendor to the Church's ceremonies and powerfully lift up men's minds to God and higher things."

I love being both a singer and an organist. It is a gracious gift that I can play and improvise at Mass and also be a singer when necessary.

While I realize that all do not possess both skill sets, please commend both singers and organists who desire to bring quality to the liturgy. We are desirous of the same goal.
    It is not an "us" versus "them".

Returning back to practicing the Franck B minor chorale.

• Skatsing said, "Singers trained classically rarely do opera when trained to be teachers. It's mostly art songs and folk songs. Opera singers can do other idioms besides opera and if they really try manage to shape their voice to sound idiomatically compatible."
    Thanks for affirming this reality of current voice programs and classically trained singers. If this statement were to be inserted into several discussions on this board it might open the minds of people who see trained singers as a problem or threat. My guess is they just haven't encountered too many singer musicians who are recent university or conservatory grads from the past 10-20 years or so.

Again, my thanks to Skatsing. I get where you are coming from, and I'm glad you brought up questions that many people are asking.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • "Plus, where does one go to be trained in vocal/choral church music?"

Not to be cheeky, but my answer would be "to an organist!"

If one examines the careers of the most successful church musicians over the past 500+ years, there is a pretty consistent and reliable pattern to be found: chorister, then organist/apprentice, then organist/choirmaster, with the cycle repeating itself over and over down to the present age. Byrd, Palestrina, Morales--they were all singer-organists. Even the career of the Holy Father's brother followed a similar path.

This is a proven model, and is, I think, why the ideal of the organist-director still exists today.

Neither the conservatory-trained organist with little to no choral experience nor the conservatory-trained vocalist with minimal keyboard skills are ideal candidates for a DoM position. University/conservatory organ training coupled with an apprenticeship role is the magic combination.

Although these apprenticeship roles are becoming harder to come by, they do exist in certain large parishes and cathedrals, in colleges and universities (in a modified form), and in a considerable number of Episcopalian churches.

Now, if one wishes to establish a music program modeled completely on the medieval model, then all of this should be ignored.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Although it probably goes without saying, I wanted to make it known that my above thoughts are commentary on generalities. There are always notable and important exceptions to the rule.
  • Nobody wants to be bullied and we all have ignorance...
    As to the latter, I have hoards of ignorance to spare if anyone wants it. My wife's Frenchie Bulldog has no choice about the "bully" disposition, but you can see by his smile on my avatar, I'm trying to behave more like his kind of bully. Jury's still out....
    Again, thank you for coming to our motley crue.
  • njgw - is right!
    There is a relatively new breed of organists who are strictly concert organists.
    Most organists, though, are church musicians first and foremost, and will have received rigourous training in voice, sacred choral literature (much post-Renaissance examples of which has organ accompaniment), choral conducting, liturgy, instrumental conducting, and has, in short, become a man or woman with the knowledge and capability of being 'master of the musick' at any church. This, as njgw outlines, has been the pattern for a thousand years - half the church's history.
    Such catholic breadth of preparation is possessed by a very few who are trained in other disciplines. Certainly not a voice major or vocalist. The only competition might be from those trained primarily in sacred choral conducting; persons who, very often, are not well informed about the organ's role, its literature, the use of its tone colours and its correct manner of accompanying anthems and hymns and ordinaries (particularly if these are English inspired!), and (often) rather discount its liturgical importance. Too, I would second Gavin's assertion that a cantor actually does NOT 'lead' a choir or a congregation, nor is such his or her true role. The role of the cantor is that of singing solo chants and starting off and setting the pace of chants to be sung by the choir or all. Unless he has a terribly booming voice he will not then be much heard after the music has begun, nor should he be. The pace at which he began will continue itself quite nicely with an experienced choir, schola, or congregation. She may, of course, 'lead' if she is in possession of that deadly weapon, the microphone. But she will not 'lead' for long... because she will be so overpowering that others will become annoyed and stop singing.
    It is not for nothing that the documents of Vatican II single out, alone of all other instruments, and mention specifically 'the organ'. In the climate in which we live, one might have thought that the council had favoured the guitar with a special commendation. But, so curiously, the guitar is not mentioned at all: only the organ. Isn't that interesting?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    >"...a strong singer with a solo voice is more of a distraction than a virtue. If I absolutely must use a cantor, I'd rather use a volunteer from my choir with a pleasant voice..."

Adam, do you then hand them a mike? I'm surprised at the phobic tone of the discussion above, and find the notion that a singer cannot lead downright amusing: every fall at High Holy Days I hear a solo cantor lead a congregation of around 3000, and even the slightly befuddled professional choir with very approximately notated scores in hand can easily figure out what to do.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Skatsing
  • CharlesW
    Back to the original question, "Why has the Catholic church placed being an organist above being a trained vocalist?" I don't know that it has. Maybe in some places, but I still think it's because the church is too penny-pinching to hire adequate staff.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Wendi Skatsing
  • GavinGavin
    Richard Mix: again, it falls upon the proponents of leadership by a single voice to define the term "lead", as I've done to disqualify it. In what sense does a person "lead" 3000 voices with their own voice alone? Or, to put it better, how does one of those 3000 follow a soloist?

To follow an organ, I hear the organ, match pitch with the soprano or bass line, and sing, occasionally paying attention that I am consistent with the accompaniment. Without an organ, I hear what is going on around me with other singers, and make modifications as necessary. No need for leadership!
  • Liam
    Well, for my money, "lead" is too equivocal a term. I prefer "support".
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Gavin: there's no need for me to improve on your own definition, is there? " I lead congregational song by setting and maintaining the tempo, pitch, and affect, all in a way that is audible and true to the text. That's what I call leading, and I simply don't think a vocalist can do that." My experience simply suggests that you should get out more ;-)

Thanked by 1Skatsing
  • redsox1
    Organists should be competent in voice, singers should be competent in organ. All church musicians must be versed in liturgy, choral repertoire, choral techniques, service music repertoire, arranging, composing, etc. Yes, it is demanding, but it is necessary. I know organists who haven't a clue about the voice, and I have met vocalists who can't play a Mass, or even accompany a cantor or choral rehearsal. I think the question posed is a false choice.

I couldn't agree more about finding an apprenticeship. I learned more from working with Leo Nestor at the National Shrine than I could have ever imagined. By the way, Dr. Nestor's expertise is choral music (and, of course, he is a brilliant composer,) yet he is a very, very fine service player. He didn't play organ literature-he left that to the staff organists, but he knew how to register the organ and was creative with his hymn-playing. It's ok to be better trained and more talented in one area, but that doesn't excuse us from ignoring the other areas of the ministry. I studied voice in undergraduate school, and a I apprenticed with wonderful choral musicians. I regularly cantor at my parish. It gives me valuable insight into the challenges of the ministry and I think it furthers my connection with the congregation, since I am not always stuck behind an organ console. I am able to better evaluate what is needed to engage the congregational and to continue to strengthen congregational singing. I also sing with our schola. Modelling is vital to teaching choral sound and developing ensemble, as well as good diction.
  • redsox1
    Oh, and I studied choral conducting-actually I was working on a minor in choral music during my DM studies, before I left to go to DC. It was hard work, but it has made me so much more effective as a church musician.
  • GavinGavin
    Richard, as I said above, the inability of a vocalist to lead is dependent upon volume. Once you have two other singers singing with a vocalist, it's difficult for him to exercise leadership - let alone with a hundred other voices. I'm talking logistics, and I just don't see it working.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Gavin, havn't you ever had the experience of hearing the spoken creed fall apart slightly on a morning when the priest is nursing a cold? One needn't dominate to lead.

On the other hand, an unmiked Wagnerian voice will have no trouble at all with audibility.
  • And I, for one, can't imagine Leo ever trying vocally model a sound he wanted from a singer, as his speaking voice was a pure mixture of John Gielgud and Andy Devine! But could he describe and evoke the exact sound he wanted, oh heavens! What a teacher! (We finished undergrad degrees at same year, same place, and condescended to accompany my sorry derriere for my recitals.) I just hear his name and I smile. But I also knew first day we met: do not mess with this guy; he'll have you disemboweled without uncrossing his knee and before exhaling a puff of smoke, still with a wry smile on his face and and a twinkle in his eye. One of a kind.
  • redsox1
    Charles, yes that voice was heart-rendering, but you're so right- how he could communicate with his singers. He certainly had a colorful way of making corrections in rehearsal, too! He was much gentler with his assistants than with his choir. He was very supportive, showed a great level of trust, and was very approachable. I really enjoyed working with him.
  • Liam
    Gavin,

But, for many Catholic congregations, if the organ is too audible over human voices, the PIPs will tend to back down. I understand the Protestant hymn accompaniment culture is quite different, but there is a residue of a capella foundational expectation in the Catholic liturgical culture that helps create the dynamic that confounds organists more used to the Protestant worship culture - "what do you mean the organ is too loud? the organ is *supposed* to lead, after all...." There are of course exceptions, but I think even these boards show anecdotally this dynamic at work. (And, btw, it's not always the people that drag; I've witnessed first hand Catholic congregations wishing to take hymns at a more flowing tempo than the organist; many times.)
  • The assertion that a singer can't lead is bizarre. I have done this in processions all around my diocese with groups of a few dozen or a few hundred. I have led without a microphone and with (strongly prefer without), during masses, holy hours, processions. And I can think of three other classically trained singers who do this in my area as well.

Again, I prefer vernacular hymns to be accompanied by an organ with a choir leading. But to say a singer can't lead... I've lead and followed too many times to count, and I've heard processions largely fall apart where no trained singer is leading (I don't lead when not asked and I've observed this before).

For anyone who seems to be genuinely confused on this, the trained singer acts like a cantor by setting the pitch and tempo, then 'leads from within the group' by steering unobtrusively.

Richard Mix is right about Wagnerian singers- I would add even a strong bel canto singer. This is because a choir singer is trained differently than a solist. Whereas a solist can most often fit their voice into a choir, volume can be a real problem (usually) when a less-trained choir singer tries to lead.
  • DougS
    Much of what needs to be said has been said here, but I cringed whenever someone mentioned "Josquin's day" or whatever it was along those lines.

Does the word "alternatim" ring any bells from bygone music history classes?
  • DougS
    And, the word is "led." Sorry, had to.
  • Led... How did I miss that? Thanks, Doug. Fixed. :)
    typing in haste...
    It's a little surreal (and a little condescending) to be told what high level, trained solist singers can or can't do by organists. If voice isn't one's main instrument, musical wisdom dictates that it's best for one not to assert too much about the percieved limitations of the voice.
    Because tone is so easily misunderstood in cyberspace writing, please know I'm not angry, but rather perplexed at the level of singing knowledge.
    This confirms me in the belief that singers and organists serve the Church and her sacred liturgy best in tandem, as the two instruments (organ and voice) are so very different, and that hiring both is a very good thing.

• DougS
    Oh, I absolutely agree with that.
  • marajoymarajoy
    (This is not in response to any particular post or person, only the general direction of this conversation.)

The original question was, "Why has the Catholic Church placed being an organist above a trained vocalist?"
    To answer that...
    I am quite sure that in no place does the Catholic Church officially place organists above vocalists.
    Many people have given some practical reasons such as financial limitations (if a parish has to choose one or the other...) or the different emphasis in education programs to become a "trained" organist or vocalist.
    A few people on this website would probably like to completely eliminate the need for vocal leadership, while I'm sure many people here would simply like to decrease the perceived need for a booming cantor, waving her arms at the congregation from the front of the congregation.

Skatsing, you are probably picking up more negativity towards cantors on this website than what people actually think, b/c what ends up happening in the vast majority of Catholic Churches that most of us observe is the far end of the spectrum which I'm sure we would all agree is not ideal- a loud, drowning-everything-else-out, soloist-cantor, who does not inspire anyone to sing along with him/her.
    I'm sure we all agree that we WISH we had the opposite problem - a congregation that sings so heartily that they drown out the cantor!

I think perhaps a more productive direction to the question would be "how to get congregations to sing more?" A common goal that we all should have!
    Is it through a trained cantor, who knows when to "lead," and when to "back off?"
    Or a talented organist, who knows when to play louder to inspire the congregation, or softer so they don't feel "drowned out?"
    Or...a combination?
    But what do you do if you don't have the resources for both?
    What do you do if you have to pick between a trained organist who can barely sing, a trained vocalist who can barely play the organ, or someone who is mediocre in both areas?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Pick the vocalist. You can sing hymns a Capella if you absolutely cannot afford to hire both (although I think if music was given the importance in the parish budget it should have, this would not be an issue). You cannot replace the psalm with an instrumental piece.

Please understand that I love the organ. I'm very glad that we have one in our parish. This is not a slam on organists or a suggestion that vocal musicians are superior. But of the two instruments, a voice is essential for a sung liturgy and an organ is not.
    Thanked by 1Skatsing
  • CharlesW
    It is interesting that the local Episcopal churches have no difficulty at all in attracting and keeping top-notch talent. That applies to organists and vocalists. Perhaps the low salaries, the navel gazing, and the chaos keep organists and vocalists away from the Catholic church. Perhaps if the Church ever makes up its mind as to what it wants musically, and what it is willing to pay for, things may change.
  • WendiWendi
    I wholeheartedly agree. It is criminal how small the music budget is for most parishes.
  • but isn't it amazing how much money all of a sudden pops up for the next little project......

music departments are typically the last on the toadum pole to get anything.....
  • francis
    charles

the church HAS made up its mind

but poor formation of priests, ignorance of congregations and staff, with a call for the ego centric performers wanting a crowd to croon to and a congregation that wants only to be entertained has made a spectacle of the Roman Rite.

Let's see... what did God say hanging on that tree? Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I don't think it's a necessarily a matter of "the Church" making up her mind... it's the people who attend and think they're supporting it by tossing $5 in the basket.
    I don't have the time to find any statistics to back this up, but I don't think it's a secret that Catholics are the lowest "givers" out of any Christian denomination.
    (Probably goes back to the fact of many of them are only there out of obligation.)