Bummed out...
  • Does anyone have any links to videos of how hymns/ psalms / the Liturgy of the Eucharist (I think you guys call it the Mass Proper?) should, ideally, be sung, but done by small choirs. I don't want to see New York or Paris choirs. I need audio and visual learning material for our almost non-existent Jasper choir. (Today, I was "directing" our choir of one. Yes. One. Person.) I am so bummed out, I would just like to see and hear something hopeful.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • I have often felt that nicely done videos of how things could be done (rather than shoving it down their throats as SHOULD) would be very, very valuable.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • I propose that we create a kickstarter fund to do this, and that if sufficient funds fill the account JMO and entourage be saddled with this project and paid for it.

A small advisory board could work to make sure that it would have general appeal and be effective in all parts of the US....if not the English speaking world. [I am not volunteering.] But Charles in Cen Ca needs more things to do.....(got you that time!)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    There is a Schola near where I live that is VERY small (very small), but sings very well. They are mainly homeschooled families.

I would like to try to do an impromptu recording one of these days. I find it quite inspiring. But the recording would not be high quality.
  • canadashcanadash
    If it makes you feel better, we have a Gregorian Schola that is three people (one woman and two teenage girls). I have nothing to do with this choir, but I am impressed at how dedicated they are and how they don't lose heart at the small numbers. I understand they sing very, very well.
  • Adam Schwend
    I don't think small numbers are a bad thing (well...ONE isn't particularly good...). I am not a fan of big choirs because, especially in volunteers, they can be difficult to control and their sound not conducive to the majority of the music written for the Roman Rite. My volunteer parish choir consists of about 15 singers when everyone is there. They sing Palestrina, Victoria, Byrd, Tallis, etc. My schola, which sings special events, consists of seven singers. My chanters...the men who sing the plainsong....consists of four of us, if everyone is there, but often it's only three.

All of this to say don't worry about numbers. Focus on quality. If you get so caught up in just getting bodies in the door, you're going to get a low-quality ensemble. Good singers want to join good ensembles. Are you anywhere close to a college? Perhaps partner with their music department to provide college internship credits for participating in your sacred music program. If you can provide a small stipend to them as well, so much the better....but you may just find a few guys who are interested in learning chant.

Don't despair, my friend. You've got nearly nowhere to go but up. A good program can be built in nearly ANY parish....it just takes the right recruiting tools and recruiting the right people, not just anyone with a pulse.
  • "Could" instead of "should". Got it.

Our closest college is the Banff Centre. They are way too high-brow for us though.

I'll be fine. It's just that we **sigh** butchered Panis Angelicus.
  • CharlesW
    "It's just that we **sigh** butchered Panis Angelicus."

You won't be the first, or the last, that has happened to. Next Sunday is another day and you get to start all over again. So don't worry about it, because few will remember it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Did you know ahead of time that they were going to butcher it?

If so, why sing it?

One of my number one rules for myself is to never allow a train wreck to happen during Holy Mass. If I know the choir isn't ready for a piece, I simply don't use it. I don't care if we've worked on it for a month - we'll do it another time when they're ready. If there's a printed worship aid that lists Panis Angelicus in it and I know the choir isn't ready, I would play an instrumental version of it instead.

Butchering things won't make people want to join your choir.

Chanting the Communio on one or two notes would be preferable to butchering just about anything.
  • Adam - Palestrina?! Holy HeyZeus, you guys must be good!

Few will remember it. Check.

Never allow a train wreck to happen. Got it.

Many thanks to Team MusicaSacra for your words of encouragement. :-)
  • gregpgregp
    Banff! Now that's a good location for a future Colloquium!! PurpleSquirrel, are you ready to host 300 people?
  • marajoymarajoy
    "Butchering" could mean very different things to different people. For some, it could mean singing anything that isn't absolutely perfect.
    For others, it means the piece falling apart and not even finishing.
    Or anything in between.

I'm curious what you mean by "butchered," b/c if it's my former definition, then please don't be too hard on yourself! If you push your choir to learn things that they never could have dreamed of a few years ago, then yes, there will definitely be occasions where it's not "perfect," but like Charles said, it's not the end of the world, and chances are you noticed it more than anyone else. If you never pushed them to learn things that were a "little too hard" for them, then they would never learn anything!
  • I agree that if our choirs aren't ready and the music is already printed in the bulletins, then just go with instrumentals. But, one thing I've learned the hard way is that our choirs are sometimes "on" and other times are not. We cannot judge the quality of one mass as the basis for future masses. But, if we, as directors, don't think it's going to happen, then I would just play it and leave the vocals for another time.
  • Claire H
    I am learning that just a few skillful singers can make a real difference when one starts with almost no one! :)