Music for Sequence Needed
  • Yes, I know. It's rather last-minute. It seems that this is how people prefer to handle things in this town.
    I noticed the lyrics for the English "Sequence - The Body and Blood of Christ" have changed. The lyrics in our CBW III fit to the tune of Pange Lingua perfectly. Now there are more words, and I am stuck.

Help.
    Please.
  • Paul_D
    The Sequence is not in the Missal, so where are you getting a new translation? (At least, I can't find the sequence in the American edition of the Missal, or in the Latin Missale Romanum). Is there one in the Canadian edition? Perhaps it comes from the Canadian lectionary, and you are getting it from a missallette? Can you quote the first couple of verses?

I would say -- use your CBW III version and be at peace. If the CCCB has not gone to any trouble to assist musicians with questions like this, it's more their problem than yours.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Agreed.

I discovered the new words in our Sunday Missal, Living With Christ (Novalis) 2011-2012(Canadian) with the instructions reading, "This sequence is to be sung." But I can find no music for these lyrics anywhere! (We only do the last two verses, 11 and 12, as this is the "shorter version" option.)

Old lyrics: (verse 11)
    "Come, behold, the bread of angels,
    This our strength on pilgrims' way.
    For the children God is giving,
    Manna for our bread each day.
    Now the sign of Isaac telling:
    Christ has conquered on this day."

New lyrics: (verse 11)
    "Hail, the food of Angels given
    to the pilgrim who has striven,
    to the child as bread from heaven,
    food alone for spirit meant:
    Now the former types fulfilling -
    Isaac bound, a victim willing,
    Paschal Lamb, its life-blood spilling,
    manna to the ancients sent."

This is sung before the Gospel Acc. and it is optional. I'm guessing that most on this site probably sing it in Latin, in which case there will be no change. (Our priest will expect it to be sung. Some days, I'd like to kick him in the shins...)
  • here is the gregorio code if you need to edit... as i seem to every year!
  • Paul_D
    What you have is indeed a new translation from the CCCB (Copyright 2009 Concacan).

It will work with the traditional Latin chant for the sequence for Corpus Christi (starting at the verse, Ecce Panis Angelorum).

If you don't have a Graduale Romanum or equivalent handy, or a hymnbook with Ecce Panis Angelorum, the musicasacra main site will let you download the Gregorian Missal -- it's on page 421.
  • You can us Fr. Weber's Corpus Christi english notation starting at verse 21. Just substitute the different words. Here is the link:

http://www.musicasacra.com/weber/new_gradual/Sequences. organ [e].pdf
  • Thank you everyone. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You guys Rock.

Now then... The "dogs"! Where are the "dogs"?
    As I understood it, the whole premise around re-vamping the English Missal was to make it a more literal translation of the Latin. Yet, in this "new" (Canadian) version, the dogs have been left out:
    "Which on dogs may not be spent." in verse 11 (verse 21 for all of the above) now reads "food alone for spirit meant."

If there is to be a literal translation of the Latin, why would the CCCB cop out on the dogs? (They did the same thing when they removed "that saved a wretch like me" and replaced it with "that saved and strengthened me" in That Hymn Which Shall Not Be Named.)

Are they afraid of bruising our fragile, polite, Canadian feelings?

Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Paul_D
    Suggesting that some might be “dogs” unworthy to receive the Eucharist is obviously bad karma.

Once again, the karma has run over the dogma.
  • chonakchonak
    Who took the "dogs" out? Who? Who?
    (The "translators", apparently! Ah, well: eventually Liturgiam authenticam will be applied to the Lectionaries too.)
  • Awesome Chonak! I knew that song was stuck in my head for a reason. Now it all makes sence...
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm glad I didn't read this until today. We sang the "old" translation in the CBW III. It was one less thing to think about and I'm OK with that today! Next year: the original Latin!
  • Carol
    The sequence sung in our parish yesterday was the last section of Randall DeBruyn which I did not care for, so I decided to investigate what else is available on this website. I see several examples and I am thankful for that. I also must comment on the great discussion on "dogs" above!
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Remember, before the new Missal translation the bees had been removed from the English Exultet, too... we got them back, so maybe there is hope for the dogs... ha.