ICEL Gloria paired with what?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Sorry to add to the seemingly endless discussion of which Mass Ordinary to use, but I do have a burning question here.

At my parish, the ICEL melodies for the Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei (that is, English settings of the all-too-familiar "Jubilate Deo" collection) are pretty strongly associated with Advent and Lent, for better or worse. But I have an opportunity now to possibly introduce the ICEL "Glory to God." So if I'm using that, but I don't want to use the other ICEL parts for the remainder of the Mass, what else would pair well with it?

I was thinking if I do Latin for the "Holy, Holy" and the "Lamb of God," I'd do Sanctus XIII and Agnus Dei ad lib #2… suitably dignified and also rather easy to learn. But English, I'm not sure… maybe one of JMO's settings, or another chant-based one as found in the Vatican II hymnal… BUT, I sort of think that those settings should be done in their entirety, and not cut-and-pasted with the ICEL.

I'd love to know what others are doing here.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Mark M. — you probably already know that the Preface to the Editio Vaticana Kyriale specifically says the various parts can be mixed and matched.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thank you, Jeff — and yes, I was indeed aware of the allowance for 'mix and match.' It seems, though, that doing so is more appropriate for those chants for the Ordinary, since the various parts were written over the course of centuries and since their assembly into full Mass settings (e.g., Lux et origo, de Angelis) was more a matter of loose conventions, as I understand it.

For more modern settings (such as yours), where the various parts were explicitly intended by the composer to complement one another, I'm a bit more reluctant to swap things in and out, so to speak. But I'll keep thinking on this. (Right now in fact, I'm listening to Rice's "Holy, Holy" from his St. Theodore Mass.)

Thanks!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I see that I started a thread on a somewhat similar topic last year, where I received many kind replies. Thanks again, everyone.