Propers for use in Canada
  • I'm new to some of the ideas on the MusicaSacra website, such as using the Propers instead of my choice of hymns. Does it matter what translation of the Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Offertory Chant and Communion Chant I use? I assume most of the texts on the MusicaSacra website are approved for use in the U.S. However, can I use them in Canada?

The only problem with translation that I've heard of was when some parishes in the U.S. started using some Canadian missalettes for weekday Mass that were based on a lectionary that had temporary approval for use only in Canada (we now have an approved lectionary). If the Vatican gives full approval for the liturgical use of a text in one country, does that approval allow other countries to use that text?

As well, I'm beginning to understand how the Mass is supposed to go, but what is the correct thing to do after the dismissal? Is it correct to sing a hymn at this point like the optional hymn after Communion?
  • PMulholland
    As a fellow Canadian here is my answer:
    The proper parts of the Mass are in the Missal. The Missal is translated by ICEL for all of the English speaking world, but does contain some differences between bishops conferences due to differences in English "use" from country to country.

The lectionary that is used in Canada is for Canada.

For a sung Mass, the propers come from the Graduale Romanum which (as a whole) has never been officially translated into English.
    The various English propers that you will encounter are acceptable to use so long as the translation itself is not erroneous. (I have never encountered such)
    You will, of course, run into the discrepancies between the Missal texts and the those from the Gradual. They will be different at various times throughout the year. Have no fear! Some mild research will uncover the hashing and rehashing of this subject on the musicasacra forum and elsewhere. Using the SEP or Fr Weber's propers, for example, are perfectly acceptable in any country where the Mass is being said in English. Would be odd at a Mass said in Swahili...
    The translation of the Graduale Simplex used in "By Flowing Waters" was approved by the USCCB for liturgical use. It, of course, could just as easily be used in Canada. Just as we readily sing any ole hymn in the book. (None heretical of course:)

Your question about the Lectionary is a good one. A lectionary once approved may be used for any country, but the competence for such a decision rests with the local ordinary where the use of an approved lectionary from another country is desired.

After the dismissal, Mass is over. There is no requirement to do anything musical. It is customary in many places throughout the world to sing a hymn. One of Thanksgiving or to our Lady or to the Trinity or related to the Season... etc...
    It has been the custom, in some time and place, to simply allow the organ to play on its own. Be wise about such decisions though: in my experience there are three types of pew dwellers (or not) at the end of Mass: those who must get to their car before anyone else and get out of church as fast as is humanly possible, those who love to sing and feel a real sense of attachment to whatever musical form they understand and desire to get a final sing of their guts out before heading to lunch and talking to folks; and those who actually want to pray after Mass. Please be considerate of the last two groups because they will be the ones you here from if you do something they don't like.

Peter
    Thanked by 1rjgrigaitis