Which five settings of the Ordinary would you choose for Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter and OT?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Since the hymnal at my new church job excels at elevating the mediocre and distasteful, I'm going to create my own supplement for the Ordinaries. And since this is a parish which has never had a music program or DM, they must be stunningly beautiful, transformational and accessible - or at least pretty darn good. While I've chosen a few, I would be grateful to know which settings you favor. Preferably two in Latin and three in English. Oh and one of my colleagues believes it is going to be very important to have a least one rather joyful gloria - so if you know of a good one, please do tell. Thank you.
  • BenBen
    First of all, put the ICEL chants in your supplement if they're not in the hymnal, or they're not easily accessible. Do that first, if you have space.

All the ones from the CMAA and watershed are great. If you're not going with chanted settings, here's some good metrical settings from the publishers:

GIA:
    http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=11200 - A great "festival" ordinary for big feasts, if that's what you're in to

Community Mass - A great general use ordinary

I'd also highly reccemend Gloria from A New Mass for Congregations. It's very dignified, and it's just a great piece of music all around. Overall, a joyful gloria, which your colleague will like, but it's also dignified and restrained, unlike so many other "joyful" pieces. Note that this setting only contains a gloria.

OCP:
    Heritage Mass - Another great ordinary that's fairly simple and easy to sing

Mass of Resurrection - Some say it's a little overblown, but without the brass, it's quite nice, especially for those more "festive" occasions - very joyful gloria (listen to the recording)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • hilluminar
    I am glad that you are looking at Ordinary settings seasonally. The Ordinary would not change except at the beginning of each new season. That takes pressure off the choir to learn setting after setting, and also makes it easier for the faithful to learn and remember the Ordinary, because they hear the same setting over and over 10 or 12 Sundays before the season changes. One thing that has always bothered me about the Latin Kyriale is that they recommend 2 settings for Feasts of the BVM, a setting for Feasts of the Apostles, several settings for 1st class Feasts, several for 2nd class Feasts, etc. You would always be changing settings. Not good. It is much better to keep the same setting for each Mass within a given season. Having said that, my favorite English setting is The Mass of St. Thomas More by Fr. Weber. I think it sounds more chant-like and monastic than other settings. His first option within this Mass is more glorious, like maybe it should be used for the Paschal season or the Christmas season. The second option within this Mass is more mellow and would work well for Ordinary Time.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • canadashcanadash
    We are not using any new Masses but the Mass of St. Frances Cabrini is one I like. You can find it on Youtube.

You have probably seen this. At the bottom of the page it lists Vatican suggestions.

http://antoinedanielmass.org/kyriale/
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    (1) Intuitively, although Advent and Lent are both penitential seasons, I've felt that since their leading to distinctly different solemnities, they have different "characters" and thus they ought to have different Ordinaries. Alas, though — Mass XVII is suggested for both of them.

(2) I'm aiming toward four collections: One for Ordinary Time, a second for Advent and Lent, a third for the Easter season, and a fourth for all other solemnities (including Christmas) and Marian feasts. (I figure that the fourth set would happen fairly infrequently as it is; trying to split those any further would only frustrate the congregation at this point.)

The Ordinary would not change except at the beginning of each new season.

(3) Yes, but Ordinary Time in the summer and fall is quite long. For those doing Latin Ordinaries, for which the individual parts seem to me to be a bit more interchangeable, wouldn't it be permissible to perhaps have, say, two sets, and do a mix-and-match sort of thing?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would suggest Masses that are simple or "tune-ful"; either fairly repetitive or very melodic.

1) the new Missal Chants first and foremost. Anytime.

2) In the "New St Basil Hymnal" (Ralph Jusko Publications, Inv./ Willis Music Company, 1958) there is a beautiful Mass setting by Healey Willan : Mass of St. Teresa (Unison voices and Organ). At the parish where I am DM, we use the Agnus from this Mass fairly regularly. (It's sort of a Menuet, and easy to sing.) All the movements are short. The only drawback (if you can call it that) is that the Kyrie is nine-fold. If you can track down the owner of the rights, I would consider this to be a setting well worth using, especially for Festal seasons/days. (Easter/Christmas)

3) Missa De Angelis (VIII). OT

4) Missa XVIII (technically for ferias of Advent/Lent/and Funerals, but it also appears in the Kyriale Simplex) I would use this for Advent/Lent

Eventually they could learn,

5) Missa Orbis Factor (XI), for OT, and alternate with De Angelis.

Also, if it is possible perhaps include the chants (Latin and English) for the Asperges, Vidi Aquam and Paternoster/Embolism; also the Mysery of Faith.

Of course, a lot depends on the Pastor...
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • JennyH
    My group has had great success introducing the mass in honor of St Ann Line, here:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/Mass/

For organ/voice, the congregation loves it
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • francis
    You are free to use any of the settings out of this book.

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/anEngOrdKoerber.pdf
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Advent: Mass XVII
    Christmas: Mass VIII
    Lent: Mass XVII
    Easter: Mass I
    Ordinary Time: Masses II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
    Funerals: Mass XVIII

Then polyphonic Masses for any time a white/gold Sunday is especially solemn or falls randomly/normally during Ordinary Time (i.e. Easter Sunday/Ascension, Trinity Sunday, Corpus et Sanguis, St. John the Baptist's Nativity).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If your choir isn't on recess, a polyphonic Mass for the Nativity of St. John the Baptist in a few weeks would be truly a spectacular thing... Most folks are going to Mass that Sunday expecting green vestments and some number in Ordinary Time... What a way to say "this Sunday's a bit different than last Sunday or the next several" than a polyphonic Mass Ordinary?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We have:

Advent: XVII (c)
    Xmas: + Gloria from VIII (De angelis)
    Lent: XI (Orbis factor)
    Easter: Schubert Deutsche Messe (English)
    OT: VIII (De angelis) on Sundays after first Fridays; the rest alternating Proulx Community Mass and Vermulot's People's Mass; the Andrews Gloria is now replaced with VIII in Latin or the Gloria de Lourdes refrain with anglican chant verses.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Mass XI is catchy and has a Gloria with a good lift
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Thank you all SO MUCH. I've been using many of these, but there are also quite a few that I'm excited to check out.

This is so helpful. We had our first meeting with the Pastor tonight and will be taking the helm in two weeks. I am grateful for so many excellent suggestions.

Now, what would you say to sharing our plans for the Liturgical year? I think we should create a site where we can deposit the plans we've made over the years for A, B, C to lighten all of our loads. What do you think?