Dom Saulnier Summer Course
  • This may be rather late for planning, but here's some information about a summer chant course July 16-20 in Tours, France, conducted by Dom Daniel Saulnier. Dom Saulnier is a monk of Solesmes Abbey, and a noted scholar and author concerning Gregorian chant. When I took a course from him in 2008, he made a point of saying that he teaches based on his research and experience in Gregorian chant, not a 'Solesmes method.' He's an engaging and very knowledgeable teacher.
    There's an e-mail address to contact him and a pdf file with information (in French).
    ========================================================
    Date: May 22, 2012 9:25:26 AM EDT
    Subject: Plainchant Summer Course

Dear friends

Plainchant Summer Course organized next July by Université François Rabelais of Tours.

The classes will begin on monday morning July 16th at 9 am, and will finish on Friday afternoon July 20th about 5pm. They will take place in Tours, at the Centre d’études supérieures de la Renaissance, 59 rue Néricault-Destouches, in the center of the city : 10 minutes by feet from the railway station, and two steps from Saint Martin Basilica (in which is the tomb of the Saint).

Each day will include two practicals sessions (singing and conducting) and two more theoretical classes (history, modality, paleography, liturgy and theology).

Lunch is included in the pedagogical fees : 200 euros (100 for regular students). You will be ask to pay for them at the beginning of the course, in cash or by a check on a French banking institution.

All the hand outs will be provided during the course. But it is highly recomended to bring with you the Graduale triplex, book of the chants for Mass, in wich we shall pick many examples. If you dont have it, it is posible to order it directly at Solesmes Editions :

http://www.solesmes.eu/FR/editions/livres.php?c2M9MTc=

I stay at your service for any complementary information. Dont hesitate to contact me if necesary.

Sincerely yours

Daniel Saulnier
    Centre d’études supérieures de la Renaissance
    59 rue Néricault-Destouches
    F – 37000 TOURS