Sprinkling for Pentecost?
  • canadashcanadash
    Please excuse my naiveté, but is there sprinkling on Pentecost Sunday? We are having Confirmations as well. I do not have a Missal with me. If there is, may I use "I Saw Water Flowing" to accompany the sprinkling?
  • BenBen
    There can be a sprinkling rite any Sunday, or indeed, any Mass. Since Pentecost is still part of paschaltide, you would use the Vidi Aquam (I saw water).
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • My pastor plans on using the sprinking, but from the chair. He is not going to go around the church.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    He is not going to go around the church.

That's possible. The Missal says: "Afterward, taking the aspergillum, the Priest sprinkles himself and the ministers, then the clergy and people, moving through the church, if appropriate."

The "if appropriate" refers to the moving through the church, which becomes clear when comparing with the Latin: "Postea, accepto aspersorio, sacerdos aspergit se et ministros, deinde clerum et populum, pro opportunitate transeundo per ecclesiam."
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Paul_D
    GIRM 51 From time to time on Sundays, especially in Easter Time, instead of the customary Penitential Act, the blessing and sprinkling of water may take place as a reminder of Baptism.

(Its use is restricted to Sundays by ancient tradition.)
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Paul_D
    Using the Rite of Sprinking if you are having confirmations might be a pastoral consideration, depending on time constraints.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Ahhh, once again, I thought the answer would be clear, but no such luck! I will have to contact my Pastor. Many thanks!
  • BenBen
    Yes, like many things in the OF, the priest can do the sprinkling rite nearly any time, or nearly never.
  • That's one of the problems with the OF. It leaves too much to "choice". In my case, my pastor did the sprinkling tonight, but from the chair. He did not go around to everybody and only got himself, the Deacon and the altar servers.
  • canadashcanadash
    No sprinkling for us tomorrow. Question solved with a quick email to my pastor.