Wedding stipends
  • Kathy
    What is the going rate for wedding organists and cantors? I heard today that $350 is customary for an organist and $250 for a cantor (urban area). Does this sound like rampant inflation? What would Ron Paul say?
  • GavinGavin
    I charge $50 more than for funerals. Usually $250.

$350 sounds high, though I wouldn't complain. Depends on the market, I suppose.
  • Kathy
    Gavin, are you the organist or are you singing as well?

$50 over funerals sounds like a good benchmark.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Yikes that is high. I charge $150 to play and sing at my own church (a very small, poor, inner-city church,) but $200+ anywhere else. (More stressful due to not being familiar with the organ, dealing with the sound system, etc. Or more if I have to deal with any other instrumentalists.) It's actually easier to play and sing myself, since I don't need to rehearse at all.

My husband charges $175 to just play the organ (at a very large, rich, suburban parish,) Cantors there charge $100-250 (depending on experience/degrees.)
  • BruceL
    Kathy, I think it depends on context. I charge $225 as a base rate. I don't play rehearsals, and the $225 includes just the wedding and one consultation (they can certainly get me via email). We have 20+ weddings a year here, so I can afford to set it a bit low. I went with our cathedral's rate, and then just chopped $50 off since we are not the cathedral, but the level of musicianship is roughly equal. Our cantors make $150, but are expected to do pretty high level repertoire.

I'll charge $50 extra for any outside instrumentalists, as well as $25 per rehearsal or consultation in addition to the one included with the base rate. This is a good double-edged sword in that 1) it discourages extra meetings and encourages the bride and groom to be focused in the consultation, and 2) if I DO have to meet, at least I am making something.

I think funerals should be much lower unless one is having to sing a whole requiem Mass. The music at funerals is usually fairly basic, although I do charge the $50 to work with musicians that are unfamiliar. Still, the base pay for funerals is $125, so it's not a heinous expense. We have 50-60 funerals a year.

I'm in a large Midwestern city that is not Chicago and has a very low cost of living, so that certainly figures into the rates I quote above. I would charge 20-30% more if I were in DC, Chicago, and even more than that in NYC if I could get it.

Another good measure is the "choir call" figures for your area. Professional singers here only get $40-50 a call, whereas in Chicago I think it's more like $75-90 now. NYC I believe is more like $125, although many others on this board could give a more educated guess than me.
  • My fee is $150 for both the organist and the cantor. But, I work at a very small church.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Wendy and I are a bargain @ $175. Yikes.
  • TCJ
    I'm not in a big city, so charges are considerably less. With my two previous jobs, I got $75 for funerals (decided by the particular church) and I could take it or leave it. Now I get $100 for them at my new job. But it's way out in the country, so I expect it's usual for us to have the much lower rate. For weddings, I charged $150 and even then I have had complaints that I was "overcharging". One person told me that the previous organist only charged $100 to try to get me to lower my fee. Funny thing is that the previous organist had told me personally that his fee was $150.

Anyway, that's what it's like for us folks away from the big city.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    www.agochattanooga.org has a direct link to the AGO Salary Guide, which should be helpful.
  • Kathy
    Thanks, everyone!

Noel, the AGO salary guide is helpful about giving the range, but not at narrowing it down :(

Does anyone in the DC area charge over 250 for an organist for a wedding?
  • teachermom24
    We are in rural Tennessee. My son, our parish organist, gets $50 per funeral paid by the parish which is the rate he is paid for Sunday Mass. He can set his rate for weddings. An organist in our area, who is also our piano tuner, told us $200 all inclusive would be reasonable for here.

My son is only 15 years old with two years of parish organ experience, so I guess that would put him pretty much at the bottom of the pay scale.

Kathy
  • matthewjmatthewj

We charge $400 for the "package." $125 goes to whoever does the wedding prep, $175 to whoever plays the wedding, $100 to whoever sings the wedding. If someone does all of it, they get $400. If someone does everything but sing, they get $300.

Obviously other instrumentalists, more than one singer, etc.... raises the package fee.

Typically I do the prep (because it's a great way to try to recruit young adults to the music program), pass off the playing to another organist (because why on earth would I want to play Canon in D for the 600th time?), and then find the couple a singer based on their description of what they'd like (female vs. male, operatic style voice vs. modern sounding voice).
    But Teachermom,

I doubt he's at the bottom of the payscale...first of all, he is eminently more qualified than every other organist in an area where only 2% of the people are Catholic...unless there is a hotbed of Catholic organists in your town that we are unaware of...

Being able to play the wedding music, handle the liturgical music and events, know that playing RockyTop (depending on how far east you are in tn) at a wedding is verboten, even if one of the organists over in Oak Ridge at the catholic church does so, calling it her own little wedding gift thrown into the wedding recessional...

All that makes $200 cheap. Go for it. Seriously.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
    By the way, all....getting rid of The Pachelbel Canon as a wedding march....a canon as a march? is pretty simple by offering a Royal Wedding package...the royals would never stoop so low and every bride wants to be a princess, even here in TN where Loew's Hardware Building Center has a wedding register.

• $250-300 for weddings. Does not include rehearsal, which I do not attend. Any required rehearsals with singer(s) garners an extra fee of at least $50 each. If music is required that is not in my repertory (and assuming I will approve of it) it is the responsibility of the bridal party to supply it in advance. All fees must be paid two weeks in advance of the wedding. (In the case of worthy and less-well-off couples who really cannot pay the full fees, adjustments may be made to fit their budgets, but never are musical standards lowered under any circumstances.)
  • @matthewj "why on earth would I want to play Canon in D for the 600th time" uhhh because your getting paid $175... I would play it 6000 times at $175....

So you don't get bored playing Sanctus, Agnus Dei, etc.... 10000 times a year???

For crying out load, I can't even count how many times this year I have had them request Ave Maria or Amazing grace, at funerals. It's a part of the job, and one that pays well.
    Thanked by 2Gavin E_A_Fulhorst
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    For weddings, I've had success in suggesting that the families spring for a quartet and one instrumentalist - in addition to the organ. The fee structure is as follows:
    $250 - $300 - organist
    $200 - $ 250 - per voice part
    $200 - $250 - each for violinist/floutist/cellist
    I usually direct and sing alto - so there's a two for one there. However, since many of the families that spring for this are usually friends (or folks that have been to a wedding where we've done this) I usually end up refusing a stipend. (and try not to grumble about it since it's my own .......fault)

There is a rehearsal one hour before the wedding and musicians walk on and play through everything once. This price includes 15 minutes of prelude music to keep the chatter down in the church.
    Music programs generally include the Pachelbell, but also usually include a good deal of fine music. In June I'll do a wedding where the family (mostly the mom, a friend) has asked for two selections from Handel's Water Music/ and the Vivaldi Gloria as a recessional. We'll also be doing the Durufle "Notre Pere" & "Ubi Caritas" and some other fun things. (We might as well enjoy ourselves, right?)

I will say that I do have one friend who understands how much work this is and was sneaky enough to slip me an envelope with $1500 in cash - twice! For her daughter's wedding and her son's. She was so kind and honest - saying, "We're paying $7000 for the band at the reception - and the music at the wedding is so much more important."

She's so right. And for the amount of work I did, that was actually a very fair price.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    tomboysuze,
    In what region do you work? That's a nice fee for a wedding band! (as well as those for you & your choir)
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    @ ryand - I'm right outside of DC in Maryland. But to be clear, not all the families have been able to afford that. ..... and truthfully, that wedding was waaay over the top, but it was their first daughter. (The reception was at the Mayflower Hotel in DC!)

Yeah, I was really floored when I found that envelope - but I had spent the summer meeting and emailing the bride, did the program, and held three rehearsals for the amateur choir members who were backing up the soloists...etc., etc....etc. She was sure to give me cash because she knew I'd never cash a check.....cash is much more disposable, esp. with the family.
  • BruceL
    tomboysuze, yes if you can get people to go for that, it's great to do it. I don't usually propose it at the beginning since I want to see what their financial situation is like...and don't want them to feel guilty for not taking that option.

I think the most important thing with professional musicians is that we not "mark" weddings by doing boring rep, unless the couple demands it. The choir weddings we've done at my place have all had really good, challenging rep. Likewise, since I plan all the weddings at my parish (even if strings, etc., play) I always tell the families to be demanding with the musicians, to a degree. If a pro string group with a bunch of people with Juilliard diplomas has a rep list that is Canon in D and two other things, I always encourage them to look elsewhere. Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem a lot for me since we have 3-4 wedding quartets in town that tend to keep the level high...actually higher than for union gigs in concerts. Very strange!
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Agreed, BruceL - I also am very sensitive to what people can afford and why, if necessary, I'll reduce my fee, often to 0 dollars. That's why I'm sensitive, I guess, because I'll never be rich!

@ Kathy - thanks. I thought so. And there is Charlie teasing me...."flauntist" as in "to flaunt?" Is one a flauntist if they use the word, "floutist"? Heavens!
  • Charles in CenCA
    To right the engine back on the rails of the original thread, if I were King of the Forest-
    I'd solve the whole issue of stipends for priests, servers, "wedding ladies" and "wedding singers" in one fell swoop. Ready?
    All weddings would only be witnessed and blessed at regularly scheduled Sunday Masses and Vigils that are not in conflict with Lent, certain solemnities, etc.
    Knickers untwisted, no cause to flout, flay or filet.
    Next?
  • Heath
    "All weddings would only be witnessed and blessed at regularly scheduled Sunday Masses and Vigils that are not in conflict with Lent, certain solemnities, etc."

Whoa, Chuck . . . that would go over like a lead balloon, I would think. Care to expand upon your thoughts? Curious . . .

"FNJ, I'm missing a great many things of late, the least of which are my umlauts!"

Ha!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Interesting things happen when a wedding happens at a Sunday Mass. The Creed and the Intercessions, for example, switch places.

Vows, then intercessions, then Creed.
  • WendiWendi
    "All weddings would only be witnessed and blessed at regularly scheduled Sunday Masses and Vigils that are not in conflict with Lent, certain solemnities, etc."

I love that idea. It might help reign in Bridezilla a bit and remind her that marriage is a Sacrament. Bonus...one could get rid of the Protestant Bridal party procession. The Bride and Groom could walk in together as they do for the EF.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • marajoymarajoy
    Then all those Saturday brides who complain about the "Catholic gap" (before their evening reception,) could be appeased... ;-)
  • Heath, it's really not all that odd or revolutionary a proposal. I haven't had reason to research this, but I believe that in many other cultures this is actually normative practice. Besides the rationales Wendi's mentioned, folding the nuptial sacrament within the larger Eucharistic context realizes all of the liturgical goals that seem to have failed to take hold in the reality of the marriage "experience" in the last couple of generations. I don't think it necessary to list those objectives, but noble simplicity and authentic communal witness and worship come easily to mind. Lastly, two of my best friends and former colleagues folded their wedding into a parish Saturday Vigil thirty years ago. It remains the greatest example of a "liturgical" wedding I've ever partcipated in I can remember.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • I'm in total agreement Charles, but wonder about resistance not only from those attached to normative cultural habits but liturgical musicians who depend on extra wedding stipends to supplement incomes. I wouldn't miss having to play Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary for the zillionth time, but that pocket full of cash is another matter.
  • GavinGavin
    Charles made a good case for why a wedding should be during a regularly scheduled Mass, but no case for why it should not be at any other occasion. Which strikes me as odd when it is the latter which has been asserted.

I'd guess the proposal was made in jest, to prove a good point, but if it is to be seriously advanced, there needs to be SOME case for it.
  • While all of the ideas behind having the wedding celebration are right on, and would make it much more meaningful, I could just see it now,,,, all those bridezillas, "Father, please can you allow us to bring in outside musicians, yours don't like doing weddings outside of Sunday Mass" Next thing you know, there are new musicians where you used to work.

Good ideas, but never going to happen.
  • And I believe you've hit the nail on the conundrum's head, Randolph. That would be the dynamic conflict between the institutional church's raisin duhtruh (the furtherance of its material economy) and the mystical Church and Her sacramental life. In simpler terms, I'm not sure "we, the church," will ever be able to stop talking from both sides of our mouth.
    I'm afraid that we cannot confront ourselves with the question of objectives when we allow as how it is good for C and E catholics to burst the seams of our houses on those feasts and Ash Wednesday, ie. "Join us in missio!" versus "O what a bea-u-tiful col-leeeeection!" And for the young church musician, those extra stipends are literally life-savers, yes!
    But the "spectacle" wedding, the quinceanera, even some funerals where stretch limousines cordon off the church- point to some very fundamental issues about how we all decide to go about each of our missios. YMMV.
  • Another thought, not only the bridezillas and momzillas, but I can just imagine the poor parishioners who do actually attend mass,,,, especially the clock pushers,,,, they most certainly aren't going to want to sit through additional vows, and the thousand added rites like the Arras, unity candles, lazos,,,, we are lucky they attend mass at all, and to even have it become part of the Vigil mass, I can see the earlier birds walking out during the consecration.
  • Well, Michael, my initial proposal wasn't said in jest, tho' Gavin's correct it might have appeared so. It was just the most economical solution (literally?) to the initial question of the thread. But you have to understand that in the scheduled Mass model, there are no Bridezillas. A pastor who'd have the moxie to offer or push for that protocol would articulate/stipulate all the what/when/whose/hows of how the wedding sacrament would proceed. For that reason alone, I don't think my idea will ever be seriously advanced by any parish, much less larger body.
    Secondly, like the EF/OF=one rite, two forms, a parish wouldn't be bound to one model or the other. But, if the true liturgical model (in a scheduled Mass) were to take hold, it seems to me that it might also mitigate those accretions you mentioned, arras/Unity Candle/mixing colored sand (don't ask!) That alone would make me very happy.
    Another happy by-product might just be the realization that some of our homilists would, ahem, have to confront their own content and time constraints, and get to the bleeding point, thank you. (Kinda like reading my posts!)
  • Unfortunately, as you said, that would be far from be adapted by any parish. One, their is too much money in the wedding industry to allow for that to happen. The priests realize this and because brides know better, at least in that sense, they would hardly allow for that to happen. Otherwise there would be an uprise in protestant churches being booked for weddings with a quick steep decline in Catholic church weddings.

Solution for the bridezilla/momzilla problem,,,, it boils down to the priest/pastor, to put the breaks on those extra annoying elements that distract. In parishes where the pastor puts his foot down on it, you see the clean up, but again the quick reaction to that is, they go elsewhere to someone who will take it, thus of course, those of us who depend on that extra money to put bread on our tables, end up losing out.

With the economy is the way it is, if those on here don't like playing canon in D 600 times, or Clarke's Voluntary, or anything else about it, solution, find another line of work, and let those that wish to work move on in. I am sorry that comes off harsh but really you either want to be a musician that works in the church, or you don't. Plenty of people would be happy to take $150, 175, 200, $400!!!!! for roughly 2 maybe 3 hours of work from consultation to the end of the wedding. My point really is, stop complaining, get back to work, and enjoy that extra cash. Very few people make that kind of money for the time we have to put in.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    So.... yeah....

Weddings at Saturday Vigils would be terrific!
  • chonakchonak
    Dear Colleagues,

I've deleted a few off-topic messages. If you want to talk user-to-user about some off-topic tangent, feel free to use the "conversation" feature. It's available through the "Inbox" link above in the page banner. Thanks for helping to keep our forum threads on-topic and useful for later readers.