working definition of sacred music
  • teachermom24
    Is there a list of points somewhere that explains what constitutes "sacred music"? I would like something simple and straightforward to use to explain to people in our parish why certain music is appropriate and other music is not, that it's not a matter of personal taste ("oh, I'm a 'Glory & Praise' type"--this is a direct quote from our parish secretary).

Thanks!

Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    There's some discussion of that in the Frequently Asked Questions booklet. It's available on the "Literature" page at musicasacra.com.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Thank you for the question and to Chonak for sending the link. Last year my parish had a change in pastors from a very liberal, "people friendly....it's all about community" pastor, to a very conservative, "the people need to catechized correctly" pastor. As DM, I was caught between a rock and a hard place when it came to explaining why I changed the music from P&W, total OCP, to more sacred forms, including chant. My congregation knew little hymnody and there was a HUGE discussion concerning what constitutes sacred music. My head was put on the chopping block and I was persecuted from every possible angle. The bottom line was that I did NOT give in (as I have always been a very conservative director, but "went with the flow" to satisfy the people under the old pastor. I am happy to report, that after a year, the people are beginning to accept (although some quite reluctantly) that "sacred music" is not all about anything and everything that mentions God. That there is a certain form to it that makes it appropriate for the liturgy. Unfortunately, those that caused the biggest problem, including trying a petition to oust the new pastor and me, have since left and didn't stay long enough to see the fruits of catechesis on sacred music.
  • teachermom24
    I think I've been fortunate in that our priest has left me completely alone as to the music I select for the 11 am Mass which is the only Mass I have anything to do with (I select the music and lead the choir). (In addition, we have one "silent" Mass; one which utilizes the synthesizer for music; and one Spanish Mass with guitars.)

No one has openly objected to the music but the choir has been decimated so we are left with a 90 year old man who needs a walker to get around, a 60ish year old man who often can't stand up because of a back problem and my two children (ages 12 and 13). My 15yo son is the organist. The reasons people have given for leaving the choir: "I want to sit with my husband in church", "I don't read music". Most just stopped coming and I haven't run after them to ask why.

Anyway, yesterday concluded the choir season for this year and we have the summer off. We are getting a new priest end of June so I will meet with him ASAP to see what his wishes are for Mass music. He is young and Polish--have no idea what that will mean. I do have a plan for the choir when we resume in September which is to begin each practice with a 15-minute instruction on sacred music and reading music. I'll print out the Q&A from this site and use one each week to discuss with the choir. My hope is that the quality of our choir and music will improve through this and the congregation will be raised to a higher level musically. I hope that the beautiful and dignified sacred music will resonate with more and more members so they will desire it more,and that some will desire it so much they will want to join the choir!

Kathy