Studying Gregorian Chant at Solesmes
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Have they discontinued offering study weeks at the Solesmes abbey? The last information I can find on one is from 2010. If anyone has any info, please share.

Thanks!
  • Simon
    The word is that Dom Saulnier - responsible for the courses - has left Solesmes. See David Sullivan's message of today about the course he is offering via his new employer in Tours.
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    We should be clear, of course, that Dom Saulnier generally only spent summers at Solesmes as he taught at The Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome during the year. He now teaches at the Université Francois Rabelais in Tours, he is, still a monk of Solesmes unless someone has heard definitively something contrary.
  • Simon
    The word is that Dom Saulnier is no longer teaching at the Pontifical Institute anymore either. And he is no longer a monk of Solesmes.
  • Hello, my name is Christopher Jasper. I studied with Saulnier at Solesmes in 2010 and keep in touch with him somewhat frequently. He was transferred from the Pontifical Institute to the university in Tour back in November of 2010. However, I have not heard, nor has he said anything to me, about him no longer being a member of Solesmes or a monk. That, of course, doesn't mean that it's not true, but I will contact him and try to get a clear definitive answer before spreading what seems to be, so far, a rumor. I'll check back when I hear from him. Dominus vobiscum.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Several months ago, two friends (one in USA, the other in Europe) told me that Dom Daniel Saulnier is no longer a monk at Solesmes. When I asked if this was public knowledge, I was told, "Yes."
  • IanWIanW
    Goodness: the cottage I have have booked for a week appears to be about 35 miles from Solesmes. What an unexpected bonus!