Super Solemn Mass (EF or OF) with choir, roaring organ (no 'lectrics), bells, ... in DC or nearby?
  • triduana1
    I'm staying in the area and while normally a dutiful parish-goer would like to treat myself to something spectacular for Pentecost. Tympani and fireworks, though wall-to-wall Tallis would also be tempting. It would need to be somewhere accessible by metro, though I am happy to walk a bit and might even be able to dig a bike out of the garden shed. I was thinking of the basilica by CUA, on account of the fabulously growly reed stops on the organ (in the hope of hearing something Cochereau-like), but I have no idea what the rest of the music is like there.

Also, if for family reasons I have to go earlier in the morning (the summa at the basilica seems to be at noon) - does anywhere have an earlier summa?

Many thanks for any help!
  • JahazaJahaza
    The annual FSSP Pilgrimage ends at the Basilica on Saturday night with a Mass for the Vigil of Pentecost at 5:30 PM in the Crypt Church. I have no details on the Music (perhaps someone lurking here does). The announcements say it's still up in the air on Sung vs. Solemn.

Thanked by 1triduana1
  • triduana1
    Thank you! I've just found the Basilica's music list on facebook, and am poking about to see if the Cathedral has one up- does anyone here sing there?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Triduana,
    Give a call to St. Ann's at Tenly Circle (Wisconsin Ave.) to see what they have planned. Robert Bright, the DM, always does a gorgeous liturgy. Info. below. - and easy Metro access. I don't know about finding timpani - but they have a Letourneau organ that should shake your teeth a bit w/ the right registration. Here's a link to their website:
    http://stanndc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ORGAN-LOFT-ST_-ANN.jpg
    Funny, but under "music" on their site is only a page with the organ's stops/manuels. Nothing else.
    Alas, Catholic church music in the DC area is still in need of great renewal so the choice of which liturgy to attend should be carefully considered.

(I'll be directing my women's schola at the Fransican Monastery this Sunday...but no timpani. However, my assistant, an excellent violinist will be there, and a great sacred space w/ a high "altar" from which we will sing two selections - the Pitoni Cantate Domino and ..hopefully... the Psallite Domino recently composed by forum guru, Charles Giffen. However it's not very conveniently located to Metro and the dear, sweet organist is a shy man who definitely will not blow you away.)
    I'll check w/some friends in the Basilica Choir and see what they've prepared and post later today or tomorrow if they respond in time. Best of luck.

Saint Ann’s Catholic Church
    4001 Yuma Street, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20016
    Phone (202) 966-6288
    Fax (202) 966-7722
    stann@stanndc.org
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen triduana1
  • triduana1
    Thank you very much! I've just read about your difficulties at the Franciscans - glad to see you are still able to do something there, and congrats on your hard work on the political/battle front of things. It's horrible, and one always wants to give up! I visited the monastery's Holy Land sanctuary when I first visited the USA (and I too am just outside DC in Maryland) and liked it very much - it's not too far from the Metro, as I recall, because I didn't take a bus.

The Basilica has a music list up on FB, which I've found, but the Cathedral doesn't - I might give them and St Ann's a buzz. Thank you so much for all the tips!