Quincinera music
  • ryandryand
    I have been asked to fill in for a Spanish mass, and don't have many resources for this sort of celebration.
    I've got settings for the ordinary, but nothing for other parts of the mass.

What are your favorite hymns for a Quincinera in Spanish?

Also, I'll check with the pastor, but is a Gloria typically sung at a Quincinera? And what about a resp. psalm?
  • Hi ryand,

the quince is really just a mass of thanksgiving. It is a mass of thanksgiving for the young lady's 15 years, and in many Spanish customs/culture, a rite of passage into becoming a woman.

Any music with thanksgiving would be appropriate. Such as Hoy Señor Te Damos Gracias, by Fr. Cesáreo Gabaraín, which is in the Flor Y Canto. You could use Mi Pensamiento Eres Tú. I have done Marian hymns as well, such as the Ave Maria, or Oh Maria Madre Mía.

Usually for the processional, as the custom has been down here, the young lady processes in with a court of her friends, such as in a wedding. I have done Canon in D. Never had a problem. As for propers, I have no idea, being that it really seems to be more of a Central American/Mexican tradition.

I have seen a few Quince songs actually placed in FYC, but have never personally used them.

Usually a typical lineup I have used is

Canon in D - Entrance Processional
    Ave Maria (Schubert) - Offertory
    Communion: Mi Pensamiento Eres Tu, or another Eucharistic appropriate song/hymn
    Recessional: Hoy Señor Te Damos Gracias. Some have insisted on the Mañanitas. It is outside the mass at that point, so, that would be something to check with the pastor.

Hope this helps.
  • Gloria is typically not sung, and the Responsorial Psalm is the Psalm of the day. Do you have the Flor Y Canto books? Or even Cantos del Pueblo de Dios???

With regard to the psalm, it is usually very difficult to find the actual Psalm of the day, being that you compose, I would just find out which Psalm it is, and put music to it. That is usually what I do with the Responsorial Psalms. I will make up a simple chant for the Psalm, and just use a simple chant tone for the verses.

None of the resources are that great, but it's better than nothing at all.

Oh by the way, if you don't have these resources, and need anything, just send me a message to my inbox. I can get you what you need from those books.
  • henry
    I usually use a Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary for the Propers, since somehow this tradition is closely tied to devotion to her.
  • ryandryand
    MichaelM,
    I am sending you a message now.
    Thanks for your help.