Looking for Missa de Angelis files--Gloria
  • Kathy
    My pastor and I would like to provide our congregation with copies of the Gloria from the Missa de Angelis, underscored with English text. Anyone happen to have something like this, or any manipulable files of that Gloria?

Thanks for any help--info, files, advice,

Kathy Pluth
    music@saintlouisparish.org
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Kathy! There are a zillion copies on this site.

See the sidebar for Kyriale
  • priorstf
    Kathy - I'm redoing the Jubilate Deo book for our schola to make it a bit easier to read and to fit on two facing 8.5x11 sheets. (Minimal page turns) It shouldn't be tough for me to add an English translation. Are you looking for verbatim or the standard translation? I'll attach the Latin version for you to see. (And since this is very much a first draft, let me know if you see any problems.)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    oh with English. umm see this, pdf page 35.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    Jeffrey, Priorstf, thank you very much.

Priorstf, I'm looking for a very literal translation/ transliteration such as Jeffrey's resource (pdf page 35) offers. However, it would be better in my parish to say "you" instead of "thou," "sit" instead of "sittest," etc.
  • Kathy
    Btw, Priorstf, I think the layout is fresh and clean. Quite beautiful, actually.
  • priorstf
    Thanks Kathy. It has been quite a learning experience I can tell you! I've attached a draft for you with the English. I primarily used the translated materials Jeffrey provided (many thanks, Jeffrey!) with a few minor exceptions for spacing purposes. Let me know where corrections are needed and they'll be done.
  • Kathy
    priorstf,

Can't express my great thanks!

One of our priests (a Latin scholar) suggests the following minor changes:

line 1: Change "high places" to "the heights"

line 5: Change "Who" to "You who"

line 6: Change "takes away sins of the world have mercy on us; who takes away sins of the world" to "take away the sins of the world have mercy on us; you who take away the sins of the world,"

line 7: Change "this" to "the" and "Who sits at right hand of the father" to "You who sit at the right hand of the Father"

line 8: Change Quoni-am to Quo-ni-am

line 9: Change "Jesus Christ" to "O Jesus Christ" (vocative case)

I feel like I'm asking a lot!! But I greatly appreciate your help.

Kathy
  • priorstf
    Kathy -

A Latin scholar? You didn't warn me we'd be up against professionals in this round! But I definitely appreciate the help.

I've incorporated the recommendations. Thanks in particular for "heights"; the dictionary has it as 'lofty' which just didn't fit. Does he go with peccata as sins? The NO splits between peccata as "sin" in the Gloria and "sins" in the Agnus. I guess it's like fish/fishes.

In a few places I had to reduce font size to fit everything in. I don't think it affects readability but let me know what you think. I also hyphenated Iesu in line 9. The words and music seem to fit together better that way.

Glad it helps.
  • Kathy
    This looks great!

Again, my gratitude is ineffable. Thanks a million.
  • * priorstf
    I could really use your JD with my Choir School...nice and cleanly done....what can I/we do to get our hands on it....how can we help you in anyway to make this possible?

Latin with the English would be beyond perfect...email me directly at noeljones@usit.net and I may have something to trade for you to use....

Thanks!