Organist moving to HOUSTON, TX - July 2012
  • GavinGavin
    I will be moving to the Houston area this coming July, likely in the first half of the month, to pursue graduate study. I'm looking for work in the area, so I thought I'd briefly advertise myself to anyone interested. Or if you just want to meet up and hang out, that's fun too! (I've already met some of you there)

I am an experienced and frankly quite talented organist with a Bachelor of Music in performance. I am also a decent bass, with a year of lessons. I'm comfortable in churches of all denominations, including (of course) Catholic.

What I'm looking for
    Any churches hiring for part-time positions - any denomination, any position, preferably $15K+
    Substitute work
    Choral singing opportunities - paid or unpaid!
    Recitals - I love to perform! Again, paid or unpaid!

I am currently in a job search and have applications out, though I'm still eager to hear of any leads anyone has. For substituting, I do NOT do the "sing and play" thing, and I will accept the parish's regular fee, within reason. I will be available for Sundays and weekdays, and am willing to drive up to an hour outside of Houston.

I can be contacted on here - simply click on my name, and then click "Send Gavin a message" on the left. Thanks, all!
  • GavinGavin
    Let me add - I CAN'T check the AGO national web site for job listings, as I'm behind on my dues. So if anyone sees anything interesting in Texas around the Houston area, let me know!
  • Gavin - I seem to recall from an earlier forum communique that you had been accepted as the associate?/intern?/understudy? of,,,,,,,,,,. Is this accurate?
  • GavinGavin
    MJO, yes, as per the communique I have decided to go to that university, and will be interning at that church. It's more of a substituting position, but I will get to work closely with the organist and music program.

For the interest of my privacy, I ask that you please edit your post to remove the proper titles of the church and organist. I try to avoid having too much personal information out in the internet.
  • Why would you want that contact information obscured? Wouldn't it be better that every knows who you are, and networks with you? Perhaps potential job opportunities, future contacts, etc... ?
  • GavinGavin
    1) See here. In order that my commentary here may be relatively free, I maintain some level of anonymity, so that my views may be discussed here for their own merit, separate from my own professional reputation. Further, I wish to make clear that my views are my own and are not to be construed as those of any entity with which I am associated. I exercise the same strict control over my commentary on Facebook, as well.

2) There are some sick, sick people on the internet. True, a careful Google search will get one all the personal information on me one could need, but I'm not giving any of those people a leg-up. I speak from personal experience from when I had a blog.

3) It is possible for anyone on this forum to contact me through the means provided, in a manner that leaves me relatively protected from unwanted harassment. And it is those on the forum whom I address, as my friends.
  • Hmmm, well you said it all, it isn't hard to find out who is who, even with that level of anonymity. Google can find pretty much everyone, and I doubt you have made any crass or derogatory comments as that gentleman had done, to merit any of that non-sense. There are so many very good posters on here, such as Dr. Osborne, etc... etc... that have strong opinions, still all valid ones. Even in the case of Francis and I, he is still a top notch musician, and regardless of whether we differed on are opinions of Bach, he is still a professional musician, with an entitlement to an opinion.

I do see your point regarding the sick people,,, and perhaps see your worry or concern, but if that was such a grave concern on a Catholic site such as this, wouldn't those others such as Dr. Osborne, be worried as well, when they make statements known?

Nonetheless, I respect your decision,,, I just thought perhaps it's better, being that your looking for a job, to be a little more known. I heard your recording, you sound like a very good musician, and I wouldn't be embarrassed by that.
  • Re MichaelM's remarks above - in the interest of honesty and legitimate repute I am compelled to disclose that I do not have a PhD. This is a confession that I often have need to make. Many thanks just the same. (And, I hope that this neither adds to nor detracts from the objective value of whatever I may say on this august forum.)
    MJO

Gavin - please note that I have done the editing which you requested.
  • marajoymarajoy
    MJO- that's rather odd. Just curious (you don't have to answer,) do you have any idea how that idea got started that you do? Or from where do people get that impression?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Mara, I'm going to guess and speak for him, but I imagine that given the relatively high profile position he has, and the history of musical excellance there, people often just assume that one in that position has a doctorate.

Now, MJO, let's just make this whole discussion moot. Go here www.honorary-doctor.net and give them a small donation. In return, they will award you an honorary doctorate. Then you will never have to spend any time clearing this up again!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • marajoymarajoy
    oh, I see. I just don't even know who he is at all from outside this forum, so I guess that's why I've never assumed that, but that would make sense. :-)
  • lol, I just assumed as well. Perhaps it is more from your manner of speech MJO, which is very educated. There is that old adage, if you want people to think your a millionaire, you just have to dress and act the part, the rest falls into place.

I would have just assumed, as PaixGioiaAmor cited, your high profile, as well as exemplary reputation with sacred and liturgical music, that you are more than qualified as a Dr. of music.

@PaixGioiaAmor, you had to give me a great laugh, I know an excellent guitarist, that actually went and did that. hahah..... I have no idea why, because he has the skills of an junior Andres Segovia of classical guitar, but yet went and bought a doctorate.

Nonetheless, thank you both for all the great contribution that you bring to sacred/liturgical music!

On a side note: if they can give Obama an honorary doctorate degree from Notre Dame, I am sure we could convince them to give you one too. :O)
  • GavinGavin
    For an update, it looks like I'll be arriving in Texas around the first of July. I'm in the application process for a rather promising job, but I'm still interested in whatever people can tell me about.

At the soonest, I might get a job in August, so if anyone needs a good sub in the Houston area, let me know... I could sure use the money!
  • I know Paul Salamnovich sang under Roger Wagner at St Chaz. I suspect he earned a Bachelors some'ers. Don't really care, as he has earned respect beyond initials after his name. And uttering his name should be done as Moses replied to AM on Sinai.
  • benedictgal might have something to add, as she’s a Texan, though I forget what part.