Who sings the propers?
  • Adam Schwend
    One thing that the internet has done for the Reform of the Reform movement is to show us that we are not alone...that we aren't an island unto ourselves. I know that has truly edified me in what I do.

So, with that in mind, I'd love to hear where around the world the propers are actually SUNG and from what source.

I'll get the ball rolling. At Our Lady Star of the Sea in Bremerton, WA, the Introit, Offertory, and Communion are sung at two of the four Masses. At one Mass from the Simple English Propers, at the other from the Graduale Romanum. The weekly school Mass also uses the Simple English Propers.
  • canadashcanadash
    We sing them. Our parish priest has asked that they be sung at every mass, introit, offertory and communion. I don't know if it happens at every mass, but it happens at the "high" mass, (OF) with incense. We usually sing from the SEP, sometimes from Fr. Weber's collection and occasionally from the Graduale. Some choirs use the Simple Choral Graduale, Richard Rice.
  • WendiWendi
    Our parish sings the Communion and sometimes the Offertory propers (sometimes the Offertory is a motet instead) at the 11:30 "high" Mass, (OF with incense). We're all learning over here though, I would imagine we'll work up to adding the Introit if things keep going in the direction they are currently, which seems likely to happen.

Sorry forgot to add we use the Graduale Romanum although I think the verses at communion come from a different source (I don't sing them the lead soprano or tenor does.)

• GavinGavin
    At my current Episcopal church, during Lent I did the SEP as an "Introit" before the procession.

When I was employed at a Catholic church, in 2006-2008, the cantor would chant the Introit and Communion to a psalm tone at the 8:00 Mass, and the Gregorian introit would be sung once every 2-3 months at the 11:00 Mass. We tried to get the congregation involved in singing the Introit at the 8:00, but it just didn't take.

I don't know what they've done since then.

EDIT: I note you asked for source. At the Catholic church, I wrote my own settings using the text in the Missalette, and either the office tones or tones of my own creation.
  • ScottKChicago
    Some Anglo-Catholic parishes sing them. At Ascension, Chicago (my parish), St. Mary the Virgin, New York, and St. Mary Magdalene, Toronto, they're sung in Latin from the Graduale Romanum or a version thereof. In our parish, they're sung in Latin at the 11 a.m. Solemn Mass and in English (from the English Gradual) at the 9 a.m. Sung Mass.
  • Charles in CenCA
    SEP/Rice Choral Propers used at Introit and Communion at 3 (sometimes 5) Masses/Misas out of 18 weekend Masses scheduled. Occasional Offertorio at 3.
    Propers are partnered (stuffed) with processional ACA's. (alius cantus aptus)

Post script to Adam: I'm currently in my office. (Oh, that's not what you meant?)
    Diocese of Fresno, yes FRESNO! Dr. Paul Ford's home town! We're further south from Fresno.
  • Adam Schwend
    Would love to know where you are all at as well...Parish names if you feel comfortable. :-)
  • benedictgal
    I chant the SEP Introit and Communion Antiphon at my dad's parish and the SEP Communion antiphon whenever I substitute at my parish.
  • BenBen
    On Fridays, I sing my own propers that are based on SEP, with the texts being translations of those from the graduale. During the recessional, I sing the marian antiphon of the season. I may also use antiphons from either the simplex or By Flowing Waters in the future. Not sure yet.

No propers yet on Sundays, but the new MD who is aware of them (and also directs an EF schola), and the pastor knows about them and is supportive as well. I assume the MD will start working them in eventually. That's St. Patrick's in Cottage Grove, WI.

At my other parish, the GR introit is often chanted before the hymn, the offertory is often used in the form of a motet (about a little over half the time, I'd say), and the music at communion is almost always an english form of the communion proper, or at least a psalm. -St. Patrick's in Madison, WI (part of the Cathedral Parish).
  • WendiWendi
    Oh and Saint Anthony's of Padua in Hillsdale Michigan.
  • SalieriSalieri
    At Our Lady of Czestochowa, Turners Falls, MA, we use the Introit, Offertory, and Communion at two of the three "Sunday" Masses (Sun. 8:00 & 10:30), the daily Mass (Tuesday pm thru Saturday am), and at all Funerals.

Mostly from the Simple English Propers; sometimes Fr. Samuel Webers Propers; occasionally from the Roman Gradual or (rarely) a Psalm-tone. At the 10:30 Sunday (and certain Solemnities), the Introit is usually sung from Healey Willan's book; in Lent the Tract is sung on a psalm-tone before the Gospel (at 10:30). During the week we use the Simple English Propers and also the Simple Gradual(s) by Fr. Weber. We almost never use the Graduale at daiy Mass.

Masses are usually "stuffed" (hymns or polyphony), except when the Willan Introits are used, and at the 10:30 Mass in Lent when psalm verses are added to the Offertorium.

This parish is a great example of what can be done with :

1 : committed volunteer cantors/choirs,
    2 : the great free resources from musicasacra.com (i.e. you don't need a huge music budget!), and
    3 : a pastor committed to the "Reform of the Reform".

Visitors have complimented the good Liturgy and the fine Music Program, but all we do is "say the black and do the red" - including the musicians!
  • Carl DCarl D
    At Blessed John XXIII in Fort Collins, Colorado, we sing propers for one weekend Mass and the weekday Masses. Sources include GR, SEP, and such. CMAA is a Godsend.
  • At St. Anne's in San Diego, we sing the Introit, Offertory, and Communion for two weekly sung masses. 9-10 times a year we sing all five propers (or more, like Easter for example.)

I've been there three years, and have aimed at taking on one more proper every year. That's been pretty successful, though I decided this year was needed for solidification. We have relied mostly on Chants abreges for the Gradual, Alleluia(s) and Tract.

The Choristers sing 5-6 masses a year, and will sing all propers more often than not.

Next year the adult schola will be ready to take on the Alleluia(s) and Tract. Woo hoo!
    We have the musical advantage of a yearly cycle (1962 missal). Returning to the same propers every year on Sundays and major feasts has been more exhilarating than I would have thought. Proper chants for different feasts start to feel like old familiar friends...

Living through this development of a newly formed choir in a small but very active EF parish has given me new hope for the restoration of Gregorian chant. The congregation is singing the ordinary (most especially the Credo) and the choirs are really getting into the propers. Where there's a collective will (bishop, pastor, associates, director, organist, singers, congregation) there's a way. I'm loving it!!
  • francis
    we USED to sing the AUG propers coupled to hymns, but under new management we now only sing the SEP communion at every Mass. Pray for us.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    At St. Peter's in Greeley, Colorado (not far from Carl!), we sing:

* Introit as a prelude -- first SEP unaccompanied (in order to provide the translation), then GR with NOH (and then a hymn at entrance)
    * JMO's Responsorial Psalms and Alleluias/Gospel acclamations
    * Offertory -- SEP with a drone underneath, followed by a hymn
    * Communion -- SEP unaccompanied, then GR with NOH, and with Richard Rice's English verses; silence afterwards

This is ONLY at the Saturday 5pm Mass, where I volunteer as cantor. And when I say "we," it's really just the organist and myself. Once or twice a year, I'll recruit a handful of skilled singers from the local university where I teach to sing a Palestrina setting of the Offertory text.

(Hey Carl -- I didn't know you moved from SEAS to BJXXIII! Good to know Fr. R is encouraging the chant there.)
  • IanWIanW
    Once a month, when the schola sings for Sunday evening mass (at a church a little to the east of many of you), we sing the introit and communio. The introit is always from the Graduale. The communio is usually from the Graduale, too, though sometimes we use the SEP or something home-grown. We always sing something at the Offertory, whether it’s the Offertorio from one of those sources or the Ave Maria (strictly speaking sung to complete the bidding prayers). We sing the responsorial psalm and gospel acclamation to tone-based settings, and do the same for the missal communion antiphon, which might seem a bit odd as we sing the Communio, but it’s the only way the readers can be dissuaded from saying it; and if it were done ‘twere best done chanted. We have been known to sing a chant hymn after the communio and always sing the Marian antiphon of the season for the recession.

I also help out with Sunday morning music once a month. On those occasions we use tone-base settings for the missal introit (immediately preceding the entrance hymn), responsorial psalm, gospel acclamation and communion antiphon.