Can priest sing his parts recto tono in the OF?
  • It is commonly said that if a priest really cannot sing, he can do the priest's parts in the OF in recto tono. Can anyone cite chapter and verse of an authoritative writing (e.g., the GIRM) which says this? I can't find this anywhere.
  • IanWIanW
    Why should he not?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I have heard some do it. Why shouldn't they?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Why the need for "chapter and verse" authority for something like this? Among other things, it is a place for the priest to start. Once he can master chanting orations recto tono, then he can begin adding inflections (the flex), and then the "final", and finally he can start incorporating the "mediant" (I'm thinking in terms of simple tone, not solemn).

And, since recto tono is the basis of chanting these prayers, and chanting the prayers is the desired practice of the Church, I think it follows that using it is an acceptable way of bringing priests who otherwise lack the confidence or training to chant the tones "as is" closer to the desired practice.

When I teach the liturgical singing class at the seminary, this is exactly what I tell the men. If there is anyone who disagrees with what I have stated here, and can show me where the church says this practice is not permitted, then I'll stop. Otherwise, I don't think the Church necessarily has to codify every single practice that is rooted in common sense as well as being harmonious with the "Mind of the Church" on the subject.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship (USCCB 2007), 115a (with emphasis):
    Among the parts to be sung, preference should be given “especially to those to be sung by the priest or the deacon or the lector, with the people responding, or by the priest and people together.” (GIRM 40; Musicam Sacram 7, 16) This includes dialogues such as God, come to my assistance. Lord make haste to help me in the Office, or The Lord be with you. And with your spirit in the Mass. The dialogues of the Liturgy are fundamental because they “are not simply outward signs of communal celebration but foster and bring about communion between priest and people.” (GIRM 34) By their nature, they are short and uncomplicated and easily invite active participation by the entire assembly. Every effort should therefore be made to introduce or strengthen as a normative practice the singing of the dialogues between the priest, deacon, or lector and the people. Even the priest with very limited singing ability is capable of chanting The Lord be with you on a single pitch.
    *SttL is not strictly authoritative, but a guideline.
  • Kathy
    I guess there is a legal question here. Are the chants in the Missal obligatory? If not, could one rewrite, for example, the preface dialogue? In other words, the GIRM itself does not specify music, but it defers that judgement to the compilers of the Missal. Does this mean that the Missal chants carry legal authority?

Or, on the other hand, does recto tono singing as a default have such a long history that no one would think of mentioning it, and it goes without saying that it's ok?
  • PMulholland
    Erm, of course it is ok. If the priest cannot sing in tune then of course it is better to sing on one pitch. (Hopefully he can hold to one pitch) If he is flailing through trying to approximate the pitches then he is not really singing the missal anyway now is he?
    I think common sense should prevail here. Looks like we are ever more legalistic in the last 40 years. I very much doubt that the Holy See has any interest in making any declaration on the subject with legal force. You might get a few opinions, but no one is going to tell a tone deaf priest he must fix his ears and sing in tune!

Peter
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Thanks, Aristotle, that's what I needed.

As for why need an authoritative citation: If it were my program I would not bother. I am about to make a suggestion to someone (in another parish) who is a stickler for rules and who may very well ask for a citation. "Be prepared", the Scouts taught me.

Thanked by 1IanW
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    This reminds me, are there any settings of the tonus sollemnior for the Prefaces in English?
  • BenBen
    Hey, that means we can sing something like this!

I dream about teaching this to a congregation some day. Of course, they'd still need to know the simple tone (ie, the standard english dialog), but something like this would be so much better to use. This one on Sundays, the simple tone on weekdays!

Someday...someday...
  • Paul_D
    Musicam sacram, in “V. Preparing Melodies For Vernacular Texts” notes:

57. New melodies to be used by the priests and ministers must be approved by the competent territorial authority.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • YES! A priest can 'sing' in whatever manner he 'sings'...
    the important thing is that he sings, and sings however he 'sings'.
    It is a grievous affront and a breach of appropriate respect for him to not sing.
    St Isidore of Seville was even convinced that a man who cannot sing should not be ordained!
    I even know priests who can very well sing and sing very well, who refuse to do so. They have a rather niggardly attitude about celebrating the Holy Mysteries.
    They are like the man who came to the wedding banquet without a wedding garment., and should suffer the same fate.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen