Help to prepare for interview
  • ryandryand
    When interviewing for a full-time position, which is split between 20hrs of gen-ed elementary music, and citing as assistant music director, what questions should I anticipate?

This is at a parish with a reputation of very contemporary music - although they seem open to some subtle change, over time.

I've got my own thoughts and past experiences to prepare from, but I figured many of you might know some of the "zingers" that might come flying my way. I've been rejected from a lot of similar positions in the last few years and I wonder if I'm just not prepared for the interviews enough - my cover letter / resume items are up-to or above par for the positions. I know personal politics play a big role sometimes (I've seen DM's follow a pastor across 30+ miles, even with 20+ interviewees - a reflection on the pastor who conducted the interviews!) ... in any case, I just want my interview to be so solid that they'd be crazy to say no.

What should I prepare for, in your opinion(s)?
  • Charles in CenCA
    ryand,
    Both ends of the split imply, to me, that the job will essentially be "about" collaboration and relationship. You might think of questions you would ask of your interviewers along those lines, eg.
    *Besides basic skills acquisition and performance goals, what fundamental outcomes are expected of the K-8 students as regards understanding their role as worshipping members at school and parish Masses, etc.? What foundational literature would best formulate the crossover effect from student to faith-filled, participating worshipper among the grade levels at the school? Does the DM want the student body to learn, comprehend and demonstrate competence in the major forms of musical worship: chant, hymn and song (and their derivatives)?
    *As assistant to the DM, do you know the management modes of the DM, his/her history as a liturgical/sacred musician, the leadership strengths in personnel and musical areas the DM demonstrates, etc. Find out what you can in advance. Ask if there is a repository or record of orders of music, and how far back in years does it chronicle? Try to subtlely discern what the interviewers/DM would deem as "essentially CATHOLIC" music? And in a similar way, inquire whether the DM/pastor/? would hazard a vision of whether CATHOLIC MUSIC evolves of itself, or is informed by tradition and articulated goals noted in various documents. If you can get that far, daresay ask if anyone has a taxonomy of documents and/or personal influences that guides their duties in choosing and leading music in the parish liturgies.

And hope that Carl Dierschow plugs into your thread soon!
  • ryandryand
    Thank you Charles, these are great questions.
  • GavinGavin
    Ryand, I think the real mark of a good interviewee, as Charles suggests, is the questions he asks. I was told that, in the interview which got me my current job, what impressed them the most was that I clearly indicated how much I knew about the position in advance. I researched them up and down, and asked questions which confirmed my own suspicions.

Some other questions I asked recently:
    *What is your long term goal (5-10 years) for the parish?
    *What is your long term goal for the music at your parish?
    *What makes your parish unique?

Something else I read, that I had prepared for prior interviews, is to be prepared for my least favorite question: "So, tell us about yourself." What I've read is that you should have a clear, short, purpose statement as to what you're doing in the interview and why they should hire you: "I'm an organ student seeking employment in such-and-such metropolitan area. I have a history of excellence in working for churches like yours and I have the practical knowledge to excel at your parish." THEN, continually hit those points: experience, knowledge, whatever it is you "bring to the table."

And don't be afraid to ask of yourself, constantly, "do I want this job?" Too often, we go into interviews just worried about whether they like us, and next thing you know you're singing Be Not Afraid into a microphone on the console for $45/week! So don't be afraid to grill them back!
  • GavinGavin
    Addendum: Most may find this unwise, but in one interview I said plainly to the interviewing priest, "I refuse to play 'On Eagle's Wings'." I was hired on the spot, and enjoyed years of making some great music in a great church. FWIW.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • DougS
    My wife did three interviews for full-time DM positions within just a few weeks' time and the question that all three parishes asked was this: "How would you describe your approach to conflict management? And can you describe a situation where you solved a conflict or problem using this approach?"

This is straight out of the business world, and I'm not sure it really has a place in a DM interview; yet how you answer really can say a lot about you. For me, it's probably a good idea to use the word "pastor" in your response.

Also, they probably won't ask you the questions you think they *should* ask, since, unlike interviewers in the corporate world, they don't do this very often and there isn't a guidebook.

Best of luck to you!
  • GavinGavin
    I've also always gotten Doug's wife's question above. I wish I would have been more prepared to answer it at my last interview...
  • Carl DCarl D
    In my experience, conflict management is HUGELY important for a DM. That's business language, of course, but the same skill.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Charles in CenCA
    Yes, Carl, indeed it is. And it's an area wherein I've more often failed initially to measure up when conflicts arise. But thankfully, all of my colleagues in our parishes have been more than tolerant and charitable, while I have always tried to apologize for my own lapses of Christian temperament in favor of the expected artiste's behaviors! Happily, we are reminded daily that we are compelled by our Lord to reconcile before "we" approach the altar together.
    Of course, the fact that "conflict management is HUGELY important" will always remain one of the Church's more shameful legacies among others. But, there are but three things that last....
  • DougS
    Charles's last point is what I meant when I said that it doesn't have a place in an interview.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I think conflict is an inherent part of the human condition. It's the process of overcoming and working through which makes us holy.
  • ryandryand
    I had this interview today. Please pray re: the results.
    Decisions will not be made until late June.

I appreciate everyone's help and/or input about this. The interview actually went entirely differently than expected ... different questions (than these) were fielded to me, and there was no opportunity for my own ... but at least this thread helped me think about those topics which came up - if even in a roundabout way.

If you will, please keep me in your prayers. I could really use the work. Thanks again, to everyone, for your help/input.
  • GavinGavin
    Ryand, perhaps you could help others: were there any questions which took you by surprise? Anything you said which seemed particularly effective? Anything you wish you would have done differently?

Best of luck to you!
  • ryandryand
    Nothing too surprising. What I thought was odd was at they seemed to focus entirely on what I've done at other parishes - which, honestly, are very different than theirs, and my role has been very different. I'd expect a little bit of that - what experience do you have, etc - but it was entirely about that. Nothing was asked about what I COULD do for them, and nothing was said about what exactly they were expecting. I had a list of questions myself that would have taken care of that, but they never asked.

What was most effective on my part was emphasizing the various roles at different parishes, and framing them in light of a DM level of experience. While I've not yet held a position as DM, I've done everything that I could think of that would be a part of the position. I also tried to emphasize how I could adapt to the various parishes, their music, and my roles at each - that way, they'd ask themselves "Why can't he fit in just as well here?"
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    If you have the chance to only play one piece of music to show your ability to play the organ, what should it be? Obviously the actual piece will depend on the individual, but I'm asking in a more general sense: fast, slow, loud, soft lots of changes, something simple etc. There's a big difference in playing a baroque toccata, English voluntary, something romantic/chromatic etc. Any advice?
  • GavinGavin
    I play the Dupre "Placare Christe Servulis" for auditions. It's flashy, impressive, kind of tonal, and, most importantly, short.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you have the chance to only play one piece of music to show your ability to play the organ,

4'33"

I usually just play an excerpt, though.

cf. My organ skills.
    Thanked by 3Earl_Grey Ally Kathy
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I usually just play an excerpt, though.

Sort of like the 16 bar Broadway audition?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood