Litany of Saint at Confirmation?
  • Claire H

I asked in this another thread, but since it's under a different title, wanted to ask again. If the Litany is sung during a Confirmation Mass, as what point(s) may it be done? I'm specifically wondering about during and/or after the laying on of hands?
  • Claire H
    Pardon me: Before and/or after *anointing*
  • Liam
    It's not specified for the rite. A "suitable song" may be sung during the conferral of the sacrament, but one needs to consider as a practical matter whether the song would interfere with the dialogues between the bishop and confirmands.

HEre are the instructions from Abp Chaput for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, for example:

"During the anointing a suitable psalm or hymn associated with the action of the Holy Spirit in the Sacrament of Confirmation may be sung. This is not the occasion for asking the intercession of the saints with the Litany of the Saints. The volume of the music should not impede the Bishop and the candidate from hearing one another in the dialogue during the Rite of Confirmation. Archbishop Chaput prefers silence during the anointing with Sacred Chrism"

http://archphila.org/evangelization/worship/pdf/LiturgyInstructionForm2012.pdf