First outing with Frogman's Choral Anthology: Yahoo!
  • Charles in CenCA
    We (Schola) knew we wouldn't have an SATB quorum for rehearsal last week, but we've been together for almost 20 yrs.
    Anyhow, as we knew that our Catholic Daughters would have May Crowning for the first time at our early Mass, plus the English Propers of Bartlett and Rice, to Cantate Domino and Jubilate Deo were begging(!) I thought it time to take the second case of the Anthology over to the church (one set there, one set at rehearsal room. Coming off the discussion of the Pitoni in other threads, combined with the stalwart Arcadelt AM, plus a St. Gregory chestnut, we were set.
    What I didn't know outta the gate about the Pitoni (in SATB rather than the SAB reduction) was the tessitura was so sweet for tenors! Holding the substantial volume, even in softcover, was a joy and felt classy. The Pitoni had a maturity and natural flow without all of the editorial flotsam of the old, "romantic" octavo. Then the Arcadelt! The text re-assignments alone made it a supreme joy, made it (like the Pitoni) a new read in a very real sense. And then (as we're essentially sight-singing the arrangement comes this grand pause I've never encountered in any other version, of course at the end of the first half of the prayer. Talk about Jesus making all things new again. Not only dignified, so plump and rife with opportunities for choirs of all sizes to hone their skills and uplift the hearts of all.
    Oh, imagine what places we'll go when we actually rehearse pieces!
    Thanks, Noel. And I will check to see if the cheque is in the mail!
  • Charles in CenCA
    I'm gonna keep shilling this wonderful volume.
    Last night's rehearsal:
    Ley's "Prayer of King Henry IV"- what an odd little gem, with many idiomatic and likely nativistic prepared suspensions that wouldn't seem to be "Hoyle" in classical polyphonic theory.
    Dufay's "Ave Regina Coelorum"- I mean how many times are we ever afforded a Landini cadence. Gotta do next week or before May goes bye bye.
    Fogliano's "Ave Maria" -a sleeper setting that can be quite successfully acquired in a couple of rehearsals!
    Thanks again, FNJ
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    A reminder that the entire CCA1 can be downloaded, copied, shared legally.

Special thanks to Kevin Allen for permitting the publication of his glorious Tantum Ergo in this collection....which took it all the way to a choir in New Zealand that worked and worked and now has it in their repertoire.

www.thecatholicchoirbook.com

Quite a few English hymns are included to get your choir open to the idea of singing new music and we've included some old favorites that will touch older people in your congregation. Then you can move on to English anthems. Then sing Panis Angelicus, and you have broken through the "we can't sing Latin" barrier.

From then on it's smooth sailing....
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I'm a "Frogman Fan" as well. I love this concept and I love the anthology. Found a gorgeous little "Cantate Domino" for SSA the first time I trotted my copies out. Here it is performed by Tres Sorelle: http://youtu.be/Xk961SMY9Mw . I'm with you Charles in CenCa - I'm pitching these choir books to everyone I can. I really related to Noel's description of sitting on the floor on Christmas Eve at his church going through files and files of music. Ugh. Such a waste of time. I much prefer to troll Frogman's choir books.
    Great job, Noel. We'll infiltrate the masses in due time, I'm certain. THANKS so much for your excellent work.