"Ego vos elegi" without an alleluia in the NOH… aarrggh!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    In light of my recent difficulties in finding an NOH (or similar) accompaniment for "Ego sum vitis" (communion chant for 5th Sunday of Easter), I decided to get started early on making sure I had accompaniments for next week.

Fortunately, I was able to find the communion chant itself ("Ego vos elégi" was for the feast of Saints Primi and Feliciani in the old calendar), but much to my frustration, the "alleluia" extension isn't there. So… I look around a bit, and I see that the exact same "alleluia" is in the communion chant for Ascension, in Year C ("Psállite"), but in the NOH, it's a whole-step higher than the "Ego vos elégi" accompaniment. So… I type it out in Finale and transpose it.

And since the NOH doesn't have accompaniment for verses and Gloria Patri for communion chants, I'm in the habit of "stealing" them from an Introit… provided I'm able to find one which matches both in mode and in key (which, fortunately, I was able to do for this one).

So… attached is the fruit of my labor. Perhaps it'll help someone here! (Note that I use Richard Rice's "Communio with English verses, thus the "repeat English verses here" designation; also, the numbers are for hand-signal cues I use with our organist).

Cheers!
  • Richard R.
    Not to discourage you, but just FYI, I use Office psalm tones, rather than Introit psalm tones, for the English verses. You can try repointing them to match the Introit tone, but I've never found that to work particularly well.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thank you, Richard. Yes, I was aware of the discrepancy; fortunately, the accompaniment still seems to work out in a general sense. And in cases when I exhaust the English verses, I turn to the Latin verses as found in Communio, at which point the NOH accompaniment fits nearly perfectly.

And bravo as always for your fantastic work on all of those resources!