Sharing a Hotel Room in Salt Lake City
  • Hello again, gang!

In an effort to save some money, I was wondering if the practice of sharing hotel rooms was common among the Colloquium crowd. I would be willing to share a room with two or three others, bringing the total cost of the room down to 1/3 or 1/4 of the normal price. I am very comfortable sleeping on a sleeping bag on the floor as I have done it many times! I have to figure this out to see if I can actually go to this event. I will not be able to if I have to pay full price...

Also, I am a pretty easy to get along with 30-year old, enjoy cards, do not smoke, do not drink excessively, have never committed a crime, and am married with one daughter and another baby on the way. If you're interested, please contact me or reply to this post.

God bless,

Jacob
  • francis
    i was going to go, but i lost my place to stay. tuition is separate from housing and separate from travel. right? all said and done it's going to run over a grand or more i suspect.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Me too. Just too much money to go this year. Will go to France instead.
  • AOZ
    This really is the way to go. If you think about it, $69 plus tax for a double room comes to less most dorm rooms. Really a good deal. And these are lovely rooms with all of the amenities.

FYI - the price is for two in a room. Any additional persons in the room and the charge goes up $15 per room, per night.
  • I am fairly new to Musica Sacra and have been reading about the colloquium. Just out of curiosity, how much do each of you plan on spending for this trip? I am in Florida and would also need considerable airfare. I certainly can't go this year, but could start saving for next year if the cost wasn't too exorbitant. I am on a very tight budget.
  • gregpgregp
    I urge everyone with any thought of coming to the Colloquium to expend every effort to do so. Beg, borrow, or st.. well, beg and borrow to make it. It will return your investment, as Arlene called it in the 2009 video, 10-fold.

And Francis, you of all people should be there. You can practically commute back and forth, for Pete's sake! ;-)
  • francis
    being full time dom in catholic church and having to feed three very hungry teenage boys makes my budget worse than tight and its still a five hour drive from here
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • francis
    duplicated post. weird
  • WendiWendi
    Francis, have you asked your pastor about subsidizing you for this? It is a professional conference. Our pastor is helping our DM to go.

Music teacher...the tuition is 630.00, half the $69 room rate for seven days is 250.00 and I personally am budgeting about 30.00 per day for food. (With 6 travel days I'll be gone 15 days which equals about 450 in food.) It's 1600 miles one way for me to drive there (I do NOT fly) and I'm traveling with my mother so half the gas is about 200.00 (Our car gets 35 miles to the gallon and I'm figuring 4 dollars a gallon plus a bit extra.) Since we are driving we'll be staying in a hotel for two nights on the way there and two on the way back. So my half is an additional 140.00 for travel hotels.

Now some meals at the colloquium are taken care of so those numbers would leave me money in the food budget to have a nice dinner or two with my Mom while we're traveling.

SO...the total amount for the colloquium with that budget would be...1700.00 Your budget might be smaller, you could certainly budget less for food.

I hope this helps you.
  • AOZ
    Generosity!!!

We've had a very generous individual who has already booked a double room contact us to say he'd be willing to share...at no cost. So if you are wanting to register and could benefit from his generosity, write to me at programs@musicasacra.com and I will put the two of you in touch.

This is something to think about: if any of you are coming and would be willing to share your room - at no cost or a shared cost, let us know! Write to me at the above email. We'll do what we can to match people up.
  • I went into this with "God will provide" and, if He didn't, then I wouldn't go. I couldn't swing the full price with travelling and staying in a hotel with an almost turned 1-year old and a 10 week unborn baby on a Catholic music teacher, church choir director salary. I received some assistance from the CMAA but was still in a pretty big pinch. That's when I got the idea, "talk to the pastor!" I did, and he said he and the parish would cover my remaining expenses. God is very, very good!
  • G
    Also consider the possibility of shared rides -- see if someone from your neck of the woods is driving and has space to spare.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • epatriciamepatriciam
    Hi everyone,

I, too, am looking to share a room for the duration of the colloquium. This will be my second year attending, and I'd really like to reduce my costs. I'm 21, don't smoke, drink very infrequently and in moderation (I'd be happy to abstain for the week if it would make my roommate more comfortable), and don't snore. If anyone is still looking to share a room (I know that it's late notice, but I live in hope), you can contact me via this thread, messages on this site, or e-mail. I'm really looking forward to the conference, and I hope to see you all there!

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • IanWIanW
    I hope you'll forgive me for suggesting that the title of this thread would make a great subject for a weekend feature, or a subject for a short story competition. Whatever, I hope the Colloquium goes well this year.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    LOL, Ian! :)