Eastertide Organ Recital at Walsingham, Houston
  • For those who may be interested, who may be in the area and would like to attend, I am playing another Eastertide organ recital at our Lady of Walsingham in Houston on the Seventh Sunday of Easter (the Sunday after Ascension), the 20th May at 4 pm. It will feature a new work by Gregory Hamilton, who is music director at Holy Trinity Seminary in Dallas, and was formerly choirmaster and organist at St Theresa's, Sugarland (just outside Houston).The work is a set of three 'psalm pictures', based on psalms that evoke the events of Holy Week and Easter. They are very well written, tonally complex and texturally treacherous in places, and should be well received. Other works on the recital are 4 organ chorals by Bach, two works, Chant de joie and Incantation pour un jour Saint, by Langlais, the large e-minor Praeludium by Bruhns, and Purcell's Voluntary for ye double organ. If you are in the area, come and visit us at Walsingham. Now, I'm going to see if I really can attach hereto the flyer and program for the recital.

I'm not sure the attachment worked, so here is the program -

I. Chant de joie (from Neuf Pieces) - Jean Langlais

II. Two organ chorals - Joh. Seb. Bach
    1. Schmucke dich, o liebe Seele (BWV 654)
    2. Christ lag in Todesbanden (BWV 695)

III. Praeludium in e-moll (the Greater) - Nicolaus Bruhns

IV. Three Psalm Pictures (Second Set) [Wld Prmr] - Gregory Hamilton
    1. Psalm LXII - Your loving kindness is greater than the life itself
    2. Psalm XXII - My hands are pierced
    3. Psalm XXIV - The King of Glory
    (fugue on the antiphon to Magnificat at vespers of Easter Day: Angelus autem Domini)

V. A Voluntarie for ye Double Organ (Z. 719) - Henry Purcell

VI. Two organ chorals - Joh. Seb. Bach
    1. Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g'mein (BWV 734)
    2. Fantasia super Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herre Gott (BWV 651)

VII. Invocation pour un jour Saint - Jean Langlais

If an encore is desired, we will all sing 'The Head that once was Crowned with Thorns' (ST MAGNUS)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Second attempt to attach flyer and program for the above.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    O wow, I wish I could be there! To all who are in the Houston area: make every effort to go to this recital. And to you, Jackson, good luck to you and many thanks for such outstanding programming.
  • Mark P.
    I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Osborne play today at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Houston. His playing is very fine and, most importantly, musical.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen