• I am just curious about this, as I was just meditating on this; I noticed how GIA had produced a list of Archdioceses and Dioceses around the US that have selected certain masses, as their mass of choice. How many of you guys/gals have been forcibly made, to use those mass parts. They had a list of certain places using "Storrington" some using others, as their adapted settings. Have any of you been forced into using certain settings??? Just curious
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Where is this list? This sounds very interesting.
  • canadashcanadash
    We were "forced" to use the ICEL settings at every mass including the "guitar" mass. I am in Ontario. Our diocese gave the option of one of two settings, but our parish priest wanted everyone to learn one setting in the parish. I thought this has worked well in the transition period.
  • It was on the GIA website for a time, I believe before the actual implementation of the new mass settings. They had several dioceses and Archdioceses listed, which have, "adapted" certain settings as the "official" setting for their respective diocese. I was wondering if people were being required to use certain settings, in certain areas.
  • matthewjmatthewj

My Diocese has two "official" settings:
    http://litpress.org/Detail.aspx?ISBN=3434FS
    http://litpress.org/Detail.aspx?ISBN=9780814634721

Several churches (though not all) use the Mass in Honor of St. Benedict. I know of no place using the Mass in Honor of St. Cecilia. The directive never really gave the impression that they MUST be sung/known, but more that these were the settings that were going to be used at Diocesan events. It also seemed as though these were the settings (along with Latin chant) that could be used at Masses celebrated by the Bishop at our parishes (Confirmations). So this Saturday at our parishes Confirmations, we're doing a mix of Mass in Honor of St. Benedict and Gregorian chant.
  • Hmm, I wasn't sure if it meant they were going to be directives or not. I know I have heard in some areas, they were mandating. I am thankful they have not, where I am at.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Yes, both of the 2 dioceses with which I am familiar are expecting/requiring music directors to use a certain GIA/OCP setting; either 6 months or just at least enough to "familiarize" the congregation with it.
  • Mike R
    Our diocese is similar to matthewj: two "official" settings, which just means that those are the only two being used at the cathedral and at diocesan Masses. From what I've seen, only a few parishes have really followed suit. The official settings are Mass of the Resurrection (all but probably about five of our parishes have OCP) and the Missal chants.
  • Wow, I am surprised that they would force certain mass settings on congregations. Has anyone used that Storrington mass yet?
  • WendiWendi
    The diocese of Lansing Michigan mandated use of Mass for a Servant Church by Michel Guimont for the first six months, by every church in the diocese.

Interestingly, we went to Mass at the Cathedral last Sunday and although they used this setting for the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei, they used a different Gloria. I must confess I considered that Gloria to be the bane of my existence the entire time we had to sing it, which is probably why I noticed it.
  • Thank goodness it was only six months.... I can't wait to change mine
  • WendiWendi
    Thank goodness indeed... we all heaved a great sigh of relief when we had sung it for the last time.
  • CharlesW
    We are under a mandate to use any of three settings for one year from the beginning of last Advent. We may use the Latin chant mass, the Roman Missal English chant mass, or Misa Luna. The bishop wants Misa Luna when he visits. We will use it once when he comes for confirmation next month, then go back to the Roman Missal chants. Next Advent, we may choose what we like.
  • The latin chant mass is much better than most of the choices left by the big 3... Misa Luna??? really??? hhhmmmm,,,,,
  • My diocese threw around the thought about having a common mass setting among the parishes, but decided against it. I am using Missa Simplex and it seems to be accepted by the people, although they really want something more rhythmic, along the lines of Marty Haugen.
  • mike_l
    My diocese informed us we had to first learn the "Storrington Mass"; after that we were free to choose. I did the "Storrington" for the Advent/Christmas season and then moved on. I understand dioceses wanting everyone to be familiar with a setting so that it can be used at diocesan liturgies, I just wasn't thrilled that they chose the "Storrington". I was told it was because it could be done in a satisfactory manner using any combination of piano/guitar/organ.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • Mike R
    For a rhythmic setting, our campus ministry has been very happy with Mass in Honor of Saint Dominic from Liturgical Press. We have not used our "official" diocesan settings, but the diocese was not very emphatic in suggesting them.
  • kevinfkevinf
    In the archdiocese of Louisville, after several group meetings, the setting most often at diocesan liturgies and the one recommended is the Mass of Wisdom of Steven Janco. It seems that was the most recommended setting by local musicians. We were not mandated to any setting so I have used a setting by a local composer that I wished would get more exposure. It is a lovely choral setting and well crafted.
  • ryandryand
    Funny that the GREGORIAN Institute of America decided it worthwhile to cite all of the non-Gregorian settings that are required of parishes in a particular diocese. I thought each diocese was also bound to the directives of the church - which would require something very different of GIA than what they're so proud of these days.

They really ought to be ashamed, yet here they go bragging about all things that CONTRADICT what the Catholic church desires.
  • JanDen
    Our diocese asked parishes to use mass settings they recommended but weren't mandatory. At the top of the recommended mass settting list were settings from OCP and GIA with the chant masses were listed at the bottom. This was disappointing. Our parish used a couple of the recommended settings but I'm now reviewing more traditionals ones for OT that aren't on the list.
  • I am not at all surprised that the OCP and GIA settings were right up there. That's the trouble with everything.....good 'ole OCP.....the end-all of liturgical music! Not exactly.
  • This should hardly come as a surprise to Bari Columbari, Randy DeBruyn, John Limb or even Angela Westhoff-
    OCP's track record for three plus decades regarding:
    A. Editorial decisions to publish certain Mass settings; (and even worse)
    B. Unfathomable decisions which of those to include in their primary worship aide books (ie. BB/MI/Unidos)
    is simply miserable.
    Post MR3, why (eg) is the Heritage Mass revised anecdotally still the most viable OCP Mass?
    Why does OCP editorial board ALWAYS defer to either utilitarian, craft v. inspired settings that mimic a faux (think about that) English Cathedral style?
    Why has OCP consistently dropped from their aid books demonstrably compelling settings for decades, ie. Proulx Oecumenica, Proulx Responsorial, Schiavone Holy Family, Hurd "Ubi Caritas" etc. after one or two years but kept the Hylton, Walker Celtic (biggest disaster EVER) or even the SLJ composite in place without any explanation to consumers?
    If Luke Mayernik's legit art and FACP friendly Mass is their high point, why is it not available in BB or MI? And, given Michael Silhavey's stats up in the Twin Cities, Mr. Mayernick's interesting opus doesn't hardly register much activity or adoption in MN, and is virtually unknown in CA by comparison to Walker's St. Paul....sigh.
    One wonders if OCP's subscriptions would increase if they simply reprinted Gregorian Masses, or heavens forbid, stuff like CCW's St. Ralph Sherwin.
    Mind boggling.
    Thanked by 1Gavin