Are these the same book?
  • WendiWendi
    I've run across two titles that are very similar, are these the same book, or two different ones?

1. Sacred Music and Liturgical Reform (which title I encountered with my question on building a library.)

2. Sacred Music and Liturgy Reform after Vatican II (Which is available for download here.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Paul_D
    Nope.

Sacred music and liturgy reform after Vatican II.:
    Proceedings of the Fifth International Church Music Congress, Chicago-Milwaukee, August 21-28, 1966, Volume 1966

Sacred Music And Liturgical Reform:
    Treasures and Transformations
    Anthony Ruff
    LiturgyTrainingPublications, Jul 31, 2007 - 682 pages
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you very much. I was afraid of that. I can't seem to find the Anthony Ruff book for less than 100.00. (Which is a bit beyond my budget.)
  • And despite his personal predilections on PTB, worth the C.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm sorry I don't understand?

• Paul_D
    While Fr. Ruff expresses various controversial opinions on his blog PrayTell (PTB), his book was written in what must have been a less turbulent time for him personally. It is of superior scholarship, reasonably objective (as much as any scholarly work will be), tradition-friendly (bonus!), very logical and well argued throughout, though you might find an occasional opinion you might disagree with. It is a thorough history of liturgical music from a perspective of discerning the meaning of the term "treasury of sacred music" referred to in the constitution on the liturgy. Highly recommended.
  • G
    Wendi, I found a (barely) used copy of the Ruff for much less on Abebooks.
    You might keep an eye out there.
    (In fact, I advise anyone looking for any book for which they are not in a huge rush, to wait it out and to check regularly on Abe.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • WendiWendi
    Ah. Thank you Paul. I'm relatively new to the cause, and don't always know all the personalities involved. I am learning...haunting this forum helps. :)

G...thank you also. I haven't checked abebooks. Half.com and amazon both have it for 100 or more. I will keep a look out. Since we still have six children at home, the pennies must be watched.
  • JennyH
    his book was written in what must have been a less turbulent time for him personally.

I am sorry to say that this "book" is nothing more than a "spruced up" version of his dissertation. Regarding the less acerbic tone, remember that he was a member of the Music Subcommittee of the Bishop's Committee on Liturgy at that time. When Fr. Anthony Ruff started the Pray Tell Blog, his tone definitely changed.
  • Jenny,
    I've read plenty of dissertations, and failed to slog through many more than those. AWR's prose, as is Mahrt's, kept me turning the pages easily. In fact, I can say that outside of the time taken, it was an easier read than Fr. Joncas' similar little screed a decade prior. I wish he would apply the same scrutiny to his editorial management of PTB that he did to this scholarship's example.