Pastor vs. Administrator
  • Ten months ago my parish went through a transition to a new pastor. Because he has not been formerly installed yet as pastor, the bulletin has him listed as "administrator" and this has caused a lot of rift in the parish who loved the former pastor and feels that perhaps the new "guy" isn't warm and fuzzy enough to be called pastor. I don't have a problem with it. How do the rest of you deal with changes in your administration in your own parishes?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    "Administrator" is a CANONICAL designation as a matter of law; there are certain privledges that a PASTOR enjoys which an ADMINISTRATOR does not. While an administrator runs the parish and is responsible for it, the understanding is that his role is that of a temporary caretaker. He may not start any major initiatives, constructions, etc. He is simply to be a caretaker.
  • dad29
    There is also some question as to whether the "administrator" has the authority to delegate to another priest the right to witness marriage, by the way.

IOW, if you want your uncle, Fr. Bob, to witness your marriage, the "administrator" of your parish may NOT have the canonical authority to delegate that power to your uncle.

Best to read the letter of administrative authority very carefully.
    FWIW, it's also like the differences in acadamia between "department chair" and "acting department chair," or "professor" and "visiting professor."
  • It's interesting, however, that our former pastor has not yet been installed in his new parish, and yet has been called "pastor" and is named such on their bulletin and in the directory. Most people here feel our "administrator" is being too legalistic about it all, and they yearn for the warm and fuzzies of being "shepherded", although they want to run the parish themselves anyways. The term, "adminsitrator" is being said to be too cold and impersonal to a group of people who have always been "friends and buddies" with the pastor.
    That's because he was appointed PASTOR of the new parish; your new priest has been appointed ADMINISTRATOR. It's an issue to take up with the bishop's office, not either priest.
    Thanked by 2Ben irishtenor
  • Well, I have to disagree, given the fact that our new "pastor" was assigned to build a new church. We also have a brand new bishop, so it's my feeling that perhaps the installation is just delayed for a while, and not an indication of a "temporary caretaker".
    Also entirely possible; but still not either priests' choice.
  • Kathy
    A growing number of dioceses give new pastors a breaking-in period as administrators before they are officially appointed pastors. That might be the case here, or the scheduling problem you mention. If so, I don't think there is much real difference between the two designations. Ordinarily the responsibilities would probably be equivalent. The bishop has delegated this particular priest to be in charge of the parish.

There are other scenarios possible, such as an interim administrator.
  • Just as Kathy noted, that's usually what happens, or has been my experience as it has been done in my Archdiocese. The parish I left, got a new pastor, aka. Administrator, before I left, and of course the flock was upset the pastor of 24 years, was transfered, not for poor administration, because he was an excellent businessman, and had a savings of over a million in the bank, just to prove it, but that there was a big shakeup in this Archdiocese. The new pastor whom is a pretty good guy, was called administrator, but every indication from the inside is, they are doing that with almost all the newly appointed, as to make sure they are a good fit. From what a few friends at the Archdiocese told me is, it is a little more difficult to go moving "pastors" than it is to just move or reduce an administrator, back to an associate. Whether this is true or not, who knows, but it seems to be what they are doing right now, with the new Archbishop.
  • The episcopal church, from which the RC church refuses to learn anything, installs an interim when a vacancy occurs. This priest is delegated to take care of any issues, which on occasion includes firings as needed, prior to the new priest taking over. His work is directed by the Bishop. The process is clearly defined.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is the new priest particularly young?

Isn't there an age thing in becoming a pastor vs. administrator (you can become an administrator at age X, but not a pastor until age X+5)?
  • I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I have seen several young priests become pastors not administrators of parishes in the two Dioceses that I work between. If there is a rule, then it definitely was overlooked in a few occasions. In the two Dioceses that I have worked for, it seems that usually after an associate has had three formal church assignments, they are eligible to become a pastor. The one Archdiocese, used to allow them to apply to pastor positions when eligible, but as I heard, that is no longer the case, and the Archbishop takes full control in assigning priests he wants, to certain parishes.
  • Our "administrator" has been associate at three churches.....I'm sure he is just waiting for the installation. Thanks everybody for your input. God bless.
  • Yes, sounds like he is in, just needs to have his formal installation mass. It will probably happen soon enough. Probably when your new bishop gets seated and settled.

God Bless and hope you have a better week! :O)
  • dad29
    IIRC, only the Ordinary can actually appoint pastors. Therefore, if your new priest was appointed by someone who was NOT the Ordinary (say, the Chancellor while there was no Ordinary), then he cannot be a "pastor" until the new Bishop says so, on paper.