EF Missa Cantata at Mission San Juan Bautista
  • gregpgregp
    Fourteen of us (including Dove and I from the Chant Intensive) sang for the first Extraordinary Form Mass in the Mission Church in 40 years. It wasn't pretty, but luckily for us, most of the mistakes we made were not the kind that your average person in the pews would notice. The women sang the Graduale verse and the men the Alleluia verse, and both of those went very well.

We weren't sure how many people would attend the Mass, so we (the schola) played it conservatively, sitting in the pews halfway down the nave. We thought no one would sit behind us, and that we would could be close enough to the sanctuary to see and hear the priest. Boy, were we wrong! It was SRO, with people standing around the sides and the back!

We're planning on singing once a month for now, with a Low Mass being offered the rest of the month. We're very happy, and I made sure I told the schola that they don't know how lucky they are - there are lots of people across this country that would give anything to be able to do what we are doing.
  • Jan
    Congratulations! Well done. One step at a time.
  • G
    So happy for you and your diocese, Greg!
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mjballoumjballou
    Oh, Hooray for Greg and his schola! (Does the schola have a name perchance?)

I'm so excited because this is such a beautiful mission - and since the Chant Intensive, Greg is a "real" person to me. (Not that all my blogospherical friends aren't "real," of course.)

Again, congratulations! "Garage schola gets steady gig" - what a headline for Variety!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    It's so interesting because only a few months ago, there were some setbacks in these parts of the country. Interesting how darkness often foreshadows dawn.
  • Way to go, Greg! Maybe we could team up one Sunday with some of us from Visalia meeting you there halfway. Wine and cheese after at Casa de Fruta?
    Soli Deo Gloria!
  • gregpgregp
    Thanks to G and MJ and Jan and all my 'real' friends out there! Garage schola, indeed! And Charles, that would be wonderful! Let's communicate off-forum about it.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Gregp... so happy to hear about your success! You are indeed lucky to have a regular venue! Keep up the good work!
    Janet.
  • Greg, San Juan Bautista has always held a special place in my heart, nothing could make me happier than to hear of all your good efforts there. Keep up all your good work, be not discouraged and soldier on!

Jeffrey Morse
    St Stephen the First Martyr
    Sacramento,CA
  • Jan
    Greg--It would be great the communicate with your. Are you on my facebook friends list? (for the CMAA Colloquium)?

Janice Clark
    Holy Rosary Chapel (St. Vincent School for Boys)
    Marinwood, California