Mass in Honor of St. Benedict
  • Mark P.
    I went to Mass today at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Houston. The mass setting utilized was "Mass in Honor of St. Benedict" by Robert LeBlanc and published by Collegeville Press. The Sanctus, Memorial and Great Amen were fine. The Gloria seemed tedious to me and the Agnus Dei was just okay. One wonders why the missal chants weren't chosen instead.

On a more positive note, the organ music (and the organ itself) was magnificent.
  • ralvarez
    Yes, it is a fantastic instrument!

The Co-Cathedral did use the missal chants during Advent. This St. Benedict setting they taught to the people during the rollout last fall, and used it in OT at the beginning of this year. For Lent, they used Mass XVIII.
  • matthewjmatthewj

The Mass in Honor of St. Benedict is the "official" Mass Setting of the Diocese of Columbus (Ohio). I actually find the Gloria to be quite nice when sung by a large choir with the middle polyphonic section.

The nice thing about the Sanctus, Mysterium and Amen is that they can be sung a capella (best in SATB, but also unison).
  • This is the main setting we have been using in my parish since the revised Missal came out, and it has been met with much success!